Brennan Carmody
    Last Activity
    07-15-2016 07:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 122 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 131 Times

Default Selling your eggs!

Hello,

So I have desired to travel the world for a LONG time, especially after seeing Eat Pray Love. It only heightened my desire to travel and put Bali at the top of my list. I always wanted to travel for many reasons. One because I desire to more of God's creation and I see Him in everything (the trees, big houses, lakes, etc), two because I am young (25 y/o) single with no kids so why not, and just to become a more rounded person. I work a corporate job (mortgage to be exact) and I am working towards law school in the near future God willing. BUT I can't help but listen to the little voice in me that says "there's got to be more than this". I have watched many youtube videos of people who up and quit their job and just left to travel. An somehow they are making it financially doing so! I don't know about them but I have bills, debt (some inevitable and some I caused), and a career that still hasn't been established. It seems crazy to desire to leave and travel for a year but I am so curious about it yet don't have the $$$ to feel safe enough to quit my job and go like others do. So I started considering other options...... I had a friend tell me about someone they know who sold their eggs for like $8000 a pop and paid off some debts. Now initially that seemed appealing but then I did a little more research and found there can be side effects, some people have trouble conceiving layer on, you have to take hormones and can gain weight, etc. There is not enough studies out there to prove anything but just hearing those made me halt. I am worried about gaining weight and not being able to conceive later when I marry. Anyone know anything about this or how being sleeved affects this? Or others ways to get money for travel? I know this thread is all over the place lol but so are my thoughts right now. Or maybe there are some of you who have lived life long enough to impart your wisdom. :-)

No one is more youer than you! -Dr. Suess

HW: 232lbs.
    1st preop surgeon consultation: 230lbs
    Post Preop diet: 219 lbs
    1st post op appt.: 206lbs 11/12/14 (-13lbs)
    2nd post op appt.: 204 lbs 11/25/14 (-15lbs)
    3rd post op appt.: 200 lbs 12/10/14 (-19lbs)
    3 month post op appt: tba 1/21/2015

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Christopher Rielly
    Last Activity
    08-10-2016 10:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 80 Times

Default Re: Selling your eggs!

I know someone who did it, she was paid $5,000 per donation. Once, they gave her too many hormones, and she produced 49 eggs, they paid the same rate. She was also sick enough that time to never do it again. You do need to remember you only have a set number of eggs when you are born, and you are not going to get any more. Try to talk to others who HAVE done this, not just the donation center.

ann

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

I can't attest to the egg donation thing but I can attest to going for your dreams. I was never able to take a year off BUT I always worked corporate world and despised it for a very long time. 5 years ago (at the age of 52) when the economy took a downturn I lost it all - 2200 SF house with a pool that I had custom remodeled a few years before, a nearly new convertible, savings, all of it. I couldn't buy my way into an interview and when I got one and they saw that I was older than my resume showed (since I graduated from college in my mid 30's) those interview literally lasted long enough for me to sit down and have them say well, hey impressive resume, thanks for coming in, we'll let you know. (In other words "damn, you're in your 50's so worthless to us") I finally got a job working for a data call center (just doing data entry since I hardly could stand to do phone call center work without killing myself or someone else lol) and got back on my feet and squirreled every cent away that I could after I bought a used car. When that job ended since it was a temp job of 10 months I was set and ok for a while. While again trying to find a regular job I happened upon a gal advertising for part time virtual help for accounting (which is what I have done since I was 18 and am degreed in) and she was on the other end of the Valley from me but she ran her own accounting business and she loved me on site. She hired me and I started taking over her smaller clients and worked in my jammies and found that I LOVED IT! I was barely making enough to buy food from her pay but I was also living off of what I had saved up while working the 10 month job) THEN a friend of mine called me one day and asked me to look at his accounting so I did and he became my own very first real client. I eventually stopped looking for a full time job as I grew my business and got to the point where I actually turned down a solid job offer for 75 K a year. I now work when I want, sit in my jammies all day if I want, get up in the morning WHEN I want, go to the pool when I want, go to have breakfast with friends when and if I want and I still make a very good living 99 percent of it all from home.. I also travel when I want and if I left for a year guess what? I could still make a living since I rarely if ever see my clients face to face. Have laptop will travel lol I don't really like to travel all that much unless I am going home to see my old friends and children and grandchildren since I like my house that I just bought (and paid cash for and remodeled top to bottom) but I could if I wanted to.

Sooo my point is (yeah I do have a point I promise) save save save - if you have a matching 401 K with your employer USE IT to the fullest amount that you can get matched. If they offer a stock program BUY BUY BUY. Then after a few years pull the money and if you still want to travel do it. When I worked corporate I would take any raises I got and give myself 1/4 of the amount and put the other 3/4 away. Then life got in the way and I had some issues in the late 90s and that all went away by my own bad choices. So I started over then too built it up and then started over again in 2009 or so.

Take it from a 57 year old lady who's life is on the other side of living (meaning less years left to live) - you think at age 25 (or I know I did) that retirement is SOOOO far away and you have plenty of time to save for it - you don't! It will slap you in the face quicker than you can imagine.
    I wish I had gotten out of corporate world 25 years ago and gotten into my own business but then again 25 years ago the virtual world was nearly unheard of. You are young enough that you can make damn near everything and anything happen that you want to. DO IT before it's too late. I always wanted to move to Arizona since I first visited when I was 16 and my much older sister had lived out here already for 10 years. When I finally had the chance and my family was all dead and gone (I stayed for my dad then got stuck in my corporate job I was afraid to leave the security of so I stayed til I got laid off) when I got laid off and daddy was already deceased and my mom was still alive but I didn't care if I ever saw her again anyway (yeah not a nice woman at all) so when that layoff in 2007 happened at first I was devastated and then I said ya know what? YIPPEE I am FREE! I made plans and got a moving truck and an apartment in Arizona sight unseen and in March of 2007 I hit the road with my household stuff on it's way a few days ahead of me and never looked back. Things have been tough here after I lost everything but now? Never been better.

If you want something bad enough you'll find a way to get it. Might take a few years but ... go for it ... start planning and make it happen. God knows no one else will ever make anything happen for you.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/07/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Chiasson
    Last Activity
    03-17-2015 07:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times

(hey az lady rider- one of my goals is to get back on a horse) I am on the "other side" of life also (62) and I love to travel, but find now health problems have held me back. However, I say GO- pray -love. I always wanted to visit mexico ( grew up in rainy Oregon). One year I bought a one way ticket to Mexico City, traveled to san Miguel de Allende, then bussed to the coast, met all kinds of people to travel with, ended up crewing on a private yacht to Baja, landed in La Paz, eventualy lived on my own boat there. for ten years or so. Found my love there and we will soon be selling this house in rural Az to go back to mexico. I have had to start again from nothing several times in my life like azladyrider. Many folks in mx go back to seasonal jobs during the hot summers.
    I say go find your bliss....

Name
    Akea
    Surgery date
    10/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Brennan Carmody
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 122 Times

Thank you for wisdom and advice! Great story and very inspiring. I am not great at saving given my debt but I will definitely keep working on it and hopefully be able to travel one day. We shall see.....

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Akea
    Surgery date
    10/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Brennan Carmody
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 122 Times

Quote Originally Posted by SallyQ View Post
    (hey az lady rider- one of my goals is to get back on a horse) I am on the "other side" of life also (62) and I love to travel, but find now health problems have held me back. However, I say GO- pray -love. I always wanted to visit mexico ( grew up in rainy Oregon). One year I bought a one way ticket to Mexico City, traveled to san Miguel de Allende, then bussed to the coast, met all kinds of people to travel with, ended up crewing on a private yacht to Baja, landed in La Paz, eventualy lived on my own boat there. for ten years or so. Found my love there and we will soon be selling this house in rural Az to go back to mexico. I have had to start again from nothing several times in my life like azladyrider. Many folks in mx go back to seasonal jobs during the hot summers.
    I say go find your bliss....
    Wow, now that is faith in action! I haven't worked up the guts yet to do something like that.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

There are many, many ways to fund and live a traveling life. Here are just a few.

* Teaching English as a second language
    * (If you have a teaching certificate) teaching at military installations around the world
    * (If you have chef training) cooking around the world
    * Working on a cruise line
    * Being an au pair to traveling corporate families
    * Working as an airline steward (and graduating up to international flights)
    * Working as a legal secretary / paralegal in global law firms
    * Going to college in countries where education is much cheaper than in the US

There are so many ideas / articles / blogs about how to fund your traveling life. If you really want this you can do it.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Name
    Kelly
    Surgery date
    02/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rivera
    Last Activity
    11-22-2016 05:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 48 Times

In that past, I looked into selling my eggs and unfortunately with a history of obesity, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be a candidate. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Jenna
    Surgery date
    07/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    03-23-2015 12:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

edit

Last Activity
    04-04-2018 04:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 52 Times
    Was Thanked 121 Times in 113 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 30 Times

One of my very good friends looked in to selling her eggs. When she was going through the approval process, she said that the health guidelines were very strict, and that at 5'4" and 155 pounds, she was disqualified for obesity. She is very very fit, lifts competitively, and yet was disqualified. I do not know if those are industry-wide standards or not though.

Pre-op Diet Start Weight: 291
    Day of Surgery: 272 - 19 lbs on pre-op diet
    Month 1: 255 -17
    Month 2: 240 -15
    Month 3: 227 -13
    Month 4: 214 -13
    Month 5: 204 -10
    Month 6: 191 -13 100 POUNDS LOST!
    Month 7: 181 -10
    Month 8: 173 -8
    Month 9: 165 -8
    Month 10: 158 -7