Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-21-2010 07:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Is it true it's a starting point?

I've been to several doctors numerous times for help with weight loss. I can't tell you the number of diets I've been on and how many of them have failed. The newest doctor I just went to see has suggested that I have the gastric sleeve surgery. He gave me some great reading material on the surgery.

My question is why would I want to have this surgery and then in turn have the lap band surgery or a gastric bypass? The information that I have states that this is a starting point and that more than likely it's getting you ready for another weight loss surgery.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-11-2010 04:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Default A bit of information for you

That last statement about preparing you for another weightloss surgery is not correct.

Each surgery is in itself a weightloss surgery - each will do different things for you, the lap band allows you to have it removed if you should have problems, for example you get pregnant. You can have the fills removed so you get enough nutrition for the baby. The lap band is a bit slower in seeing weight loss.

The gasteric sleeve is reshaping your stomach into what is commonly called a "banana" shape, you have less of a problem with malabsorbtion with the sleeve.

I personally had the gastric bypass (RnY) which can lean to malabsortion IF you do not take your vitamins on a daily basis. I did ALOT of research and made the best decision for myself. I was not eligible for lap band (which is what I was originally researching) due to the fact that I was on more than 2 prescription medications and I was a type II diabetic. I researched a lot of surgeons in my area also and attended a seminar with my chosen surgeon. It was extremely helpful. Attending a seminar does not lock you into using a specific surgeon, it is a place to get information and learn.

I am 2 months and 3 weeks out from having my surgery done. I have lost 68 lbs, I am no longer on my high blood pressure medication, I also am no longer a type II diabetic. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea prior to surgery and still use my CPAP, but there have been occasions when I lay down for a nap that I don't use it and have none of the side affects I had prior to my surgery.

I hope this answered some questions you might have. Please contact me if you have more questions. It is a start ... a start of a new healthier life

Angel261515
    aka Lois

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-21-2010 05:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts

68 lbs lost 11 weeks after surgery! Congratulations!!! How do you feel? I did not know that you could not be considered for the lap band if you were on prescriptions or had diabetes. My husband has several prescriptions and is also a type 2 diabetic and considered the procedure. I am very proud of him though he is down to only 2 medications for the diabetes and has lost over 100 lbs in the past year. He now only has 50lbs to go!

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-21-2010 07:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Angel - that is awesome. I wish I had more information on this. Almost everywhere I look on the internet I'm seeing the same thing. It's a start - you can lose a lot of weight and then have a lap band.
    I'm going to keep looking into it before I make my final decision on which one I choose (if any). Thanks a ton for your feedback. I'm sure glad I found this forum, I hope I get all my questions answered.

Last Activity
    03-12-2014 01:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 68 Times
    Was Thanked 80 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 40 Times

Some one may have called it a start because in extreme cases the sleeve was previously used in conjunction with a gastric bypass (or similar). The sleeve was done first to help lose sufficient weight to allow for the bypass. It was found in some cases that the sleeve was sufficient and hence it gained popularity on its own. The choice these days is regularly between lap band and gastric sleeve. If you had a sleeve and were losing weight, you wouldn't then get a lap band as you already have a small stomach.
    VSG: Good Decision, Good Health, Good Result, No Regrets.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents