Ramiro Sonny Cavazos
    Last Activity
    02-12-2018 10:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 44 Times
    Was Thanked 128 Times in 127 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 93 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Setting weight loss goals or just going with it

I did make small goals just as an incentive. My Dr did not. He said he "thought" for my build and height 170 would look good on me but I was the one who should determine what weight I wanted to be. He said his goal was to get my BMI right and get me our of the obese category. I am shooting for 200 and when I make it I will address whether I want to keep losing. I told myself I would be 279 on Christmas day. I am 273. I had a goal to go to the theater and seat comfortably thru a play. I have done that. Right now I am not obsessing over the AMOUNT of weight lost. I am just focusing on losing.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/17/2014
    Surgeon
    James B Wooldridge Jr
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 72 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 131 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJ View Post
    I did make small goals just as an incentive. My Dr did not. He said he "thought" for my build and height 170 would look good on me but I was the one who should determine what weight I wanted to be. He said his goal was to get my BMI right and get me our of the obese category. I am shooting for 200 and when I make it I will address whether I want to keep losing. I told myself I would be 279 on Christmas day. I am 273. I had a goal to go to the theater and seat comfortably thru a play. I have done that. Right now I am not obsessing over the AMOUNT of weight lost. I am just focusing on losing.
    I like this. First off I like that your doctor's goal was only to get you in a healthy BMI range, not stick a number on it directly, but that he also left it up to you. And congrats on surpassing your Christmas goal. Yes I think that's what everyone should do, not obsess over amount lost, just the fact of losing at all. Thank you for posting that.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/27/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Singh
    Said "Thanks" 75 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 40 Times
    Blog Entries

My doctor set a goal of 180 at a year for me, which would be 60% of my excess weight. That was 80 pounds total and I've lost 50 so far (Tomorrow marks my 4 month sleeversity) so I am hoping to surpass that. Personally, I would like to get below 143 because that would put me in a "normal" BMI range but I'm really not stressing it. I just have two real goals: 1 - be under 200 and 2 - wear "normal" sized clothing so I can shop wherever I want. If I reach those goals, I'd be satisfied.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Cathy
    Surgery date
    11/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Yenamuli
    Last Activity
    12-20-2015 06:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

My doctor asked me what my final goal weight was and I said 165 because thats what I was in high school and its not an unreasonable weight for my height. I set goals for myself based on what I read were averages for weight loss. 22 pounds the first month and 8-12 pounds a month after that. I'm 6 weeks out and am down 27 pounds. It has a lot to do with your starting size too. The bigger you are the quicker it will come off in the beginning.

Surgery date
    02/25/2014
    Surgeon
    Nilsen
    Last Activity
    01-29-2018 01:14 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

My nutritionist asked me what my goalweight was at my 3 months control. I told her i honestly didn't know, but that I really wanted to get within the normal range. Then she looked at me and told me to forget ever reaching normal bmi. I was so suprised, and really depressed by what she told me. She almost put out my fighting spirit.
    She told me I was too big to start with to ever have a chance to reach my long term goal. I started out 165 kg's (364 lbs), came down to 147 (324 lbs) by the day of the operation, and at the 3 months control i was down to 117 kg's (257 lbs). She told me I would never get down to under 90 kg's (198 lbs) and if I ever got to around 90 kg's /200 lbs I had to be pleased.

So I went home and picked up the pieces and I decided I was going to prove her wrong. Now I'm 10 months into it and I can proudly say that my nutritionist was all wrong. This morning I weighed in at 79,1 kg's or 174 lbs.

My intention with this story is that setting goals (like I do, and have done all the way in different forms) can be a strong motivation to keep you going when the world tells you that you will fail. To ambitious and to rigid goals wont do you anything good. But a few, realistic goals have fed me loads of motivation.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Jdebooserie's Avatar
    Name
    Jurgen Debooserie
    Surgery date
    07/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Bruno Dillemans
    Last Activity
    02-22-2017 03:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

I have a hard time setting goals because I don't know where I am going to stop. Before my surgery I did a little but of research and found a website with a calculator on it. It indicates what my minimum weight would be. How Much Weight Can I Expect To Lose From Gastric Sleeve Surgery? - Calculator
    It said 229 pounds. I am below it. Then I found out that 220 pounds would set me under a BMI of 30. So that was my next goal. I am under that as well. Lol
    So now I asked the dietician where will I stop, and she said I should lose 35 % of my weight after a year. I am at the 6 months target and lost 39% already.

So idk, it is a mystery. Haha

Height: 6"00" or 182cm
    Weight lost: 156 pounds
    Started on June 24, 2014! 344pounds!
    Surgery: July 17, 2014!!!
    "I AM HAPPY WITH MY WEIGHT!!!!!"