I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    01-16-2015 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Where do you start - UK

Considering a gastric sleeve, just started research.

Want a good surgeon lol not sure where to look?
    If I have surgery in Europe, do you need aftercare, or do have have operation and get on with it?
    Do I have surgery in UK or Europe?
    Concerned about complications?
    How much will it cost?
    Can I live a normal life after, ie go out for meals and have a glass of wine?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member CharlieFarley's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/08/2014
    Surgeon
    Mr Welbourn
    Last Activity
    03-02-2018 02:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 86 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 36 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 298 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Where do you start - UK

Want a good surgeon lol not sure where to look?
    I did... but also didn't know where to start. I found mine here: The Bariatric Group
    I had also considered: Spire Healthcare
    I organised everything from my expat home in China. It wasn't the easiest - both organisations seem to respond much better with phone calls than emails. However, this was such a tiny part of the whole experience and I could not be more happy with the way I was looked after by the Bariatric Group's surgical team in Taunton.
    I've been keeping a blog on this site about my experience. CharlieFarley's Blog The oldest post there has a lot of detail, I think, about the day of surgery. The other posts record thoughts at other points in time throughout my progress so far.

If I have surgery in Europe, do you need aftercare, or do have have operation and get on with it?
    After my surgery, there was a follow-up appointment with the surgeon at 6 weeks, and regular contact with the dietician. To be honest, I haven't felt much need for them for a long time already - mostly its all about my GP keeping an eye on my bloodwork (which they have been very happy to do).

Do I have surgery in UK or Europe?
    I wanted to be close to the team and I have confidence in the UK standards but know nothing about eastern European practices, for example. I'm lucky enough that money was less of a concern. You have to make that decision for yourself.

Concerned about complications?
    I was. The surgery is a major procedure and far from risk-free.

How much will it cost?
    Mine was £9995, all-in.

Can I live a normal life after, ie go out for meals and have a glass of wine?
    Hopefully, you could. I do! But there are no guarantees.

If you have more questions, this website really is excellent and has many people who will do their best to help.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Male, age 46, 6'1" tall. Starting BMI was 39 at 2 weeks pre-op. My weight loss chart.
    BMI=35 at 3 weeks post-op! BMI=30 at 15 weeks post-op! BMI=25 at 9 months post-op!
    Reached ultimate goal within 5 months of surgery: free of all prescription medicines! My blog.

Gastric Sleeve Member Heather1979's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    08/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    09-06-2019 03:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 57 Times in 48 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi , I had mine through Tonic Weightloss and can't praise them enough, I had my surgery with Mr Chris Sutton who is the best and I receive constant support from a team of people including a dietician , nurse , Physocologist and a group of other people including Kay who runs the company . Give Kay a call on 0115 9504662 she is lovely and will arrange a free consultation with Chris so you can talk to him about everything . They are the only company I found in the uk who give you constant support . I am able to call them whenever if I'm unsure , stuck or just feeling down . Tell Kay Heather Leavis have her your number and I promise you won't be disappointed . You won't feel pressured to go for the surgery either they just give you all the information you need to make the best decision. They do travel over the uk and arrange transport also . Good luck and let me know how it goes . If you want to see Chris google his name with Rosmary Connelly he did an interview many years ago with her about the sleeve he's a lovely guy.

Weight at pre op - 266lbs
    Weight day of surgery - 257lbs

First target- 210lbs- Hit 29/10/2014
    Second Target - 179lbs-Hit 26/01/2015
    Third target- 166lbs-01/03/2015
    Final target - 147lbs- 28/06/2015
    All done in a total of 10 months and 22 days a total loss of 119lbs and I'm still loosing

Gastric Sleeve Member Heather1979's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    08/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    09-06-2019 03:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 57 Times in 48 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

I personally wouldn't of had it anywhere but the uk and YES you need after support because just because your stomach is fixed it doesn't mean your head is also there is lots to learn after the op . I paid £9600 I had to remortgage the house but it was the best money spent ever .

Weight at pre op - 266lbs
    Weight day of surgery - 257lbs

First target- 210lbs- Hit 29/10/2014
    Second Target - 179lbs-Hit 26/01/2015
    Third target- 166lbs-01/03/2015
    Final target - 147lbs- 28/06/2015
    All done in a total of 10 months and 22 days a total loss of 119lbs and I'm still loosing

Surgery date
    07/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Mr Li
    Last Activity
    07-02-2016 04:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 106 Times in 94 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

I had mine at Spire Manchester and couldn't be more pleased! I chose Spire because of their aftercare service, which is EXCELLENT! I paid about £9000 and it was worth every penny! Best of luck with your decision

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

I also had Chris Sutton as a surgeon and rate him very highly - I had my surgery at the Spire Hospital in Leicester. Mine was also just a little under £10K.

Regardless of where you have your surgery, we are lucky in the UK that with the NHS we would still be able to access emergency treatment locally if something goes wrong- but also Chris would get you back into hospital very quickly if he had any concerns - he's cautious and very approachable.

Yes there are companies in Eastern Europe that will do it cheaper but I didn't want language barriers or difficulty in getting back for follow up. However, there may be people who have had very positive experiences elsewhere (I guess similar to the many positive experiences of people from the US going to Mexico).

In the end you have to work out the choice you are comfortable with. Any major surgery carries risks, and you need to understand the risks you are taking and have a plan for how you will deal with risks should they arise.

If you did decide to go to Eastern Europe - I'd make sure your own GP knows exactly what VSG is (mine did not), and find out about what paperwork you can have sent back with you, and whether it is in English etc. If you do go that route, you want to make sure the information and communication is top notch in the unlikely event that you need information to be available at A&E etc.

Personally, if you can find a way to afford it, I'd go UK-based.

Surgery date
    04/29/2014
    Surgeon
    David Schroeder
    Last Activity
    12-26-2015 07:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 106 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

I can't help you with UK surgeons as I don't live there anymore but I have had several post op checkups, which are really important. I had my first at six weeks, then 4 months, six months, 1 year post op. I have had no complications. The only time I find it hard is eating out - we have very young children so we hardly ever eat out for now! I just get a doggy bag.

Best thing I've ever done, and this site helped me hugely to make up my mind. I simply couldn't "diet" before. Now, I can honestly control what I choose, and choose not overeat. Never had that before.

Anyway, pm me if you want, happy to help. I'm originally from London, now living in NZ :-)
    1 month post op - 17.2kg/37lbs/2.7st lost
    2 months - 8.6kg/18lbs/1.37st
    3 months - 5.1kg/11lbs
    4 months - 5kg/11lbs
    5 months - 4.1kg/9lbs
    6 months - 4.5kg/9lbs
    73.1=50kg 7/12/14
    72.8kg=8st 10/12/14
    68.1=55kg,SURGEON'S GOAL!! & "normal" BMI - 20 Jan 15

66kg=9st, MY GOAL!!! 12 Feb 2015!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member Stacy'sSleevedLife's Avatar
    Name
    Stacy
    Surgery date
    02/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 384 Times in 331 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,914 Times
    Blog Entries

So wish I could help mine was in Mexico with Dr. Q. Just do your research ask questions I am sure there is a lot of people who can help you get on the right track.

Good luck
    Follow my Weight Loss Journey on my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqW...JzJewHgnlCj-Pg