Gastric Sleeve Member Toopie2Seater's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    01-20-2015 11:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 92 Times
    Was Thanked 146 Times in 135 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 321 Times

Default Poor Intake Post-Op

Hey everyone, lately I've seen a ton of posts about difficulty consuming fluids post-operatively; namely protein intake. There seems to be a consensus that the protein shakes are difficult to consume, but I don't see many posts about whether clear, flavored protein drinks fare better. Is it the cost of the drinks that causes people to avoid them? Are all of them just that intolerable? Clears and the typical chocolate, vanilla etc. ones alike? I realize that hydration is more important than anything in the immediate recovery period, but I haven't really captured a sense of why clear protein drinks can't serve a dual purpose until healing is further along.
    Thanks in advance, Toopie

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jose Luis Curiel
    Last Activity
    11-21-2015 08:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 71 Times in 69 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 121 Times

Default Re: Poor Intake Post-Op

Toopie, I bought 2 cases of Isopure (clear liquid) in July & I still have a few left. I also have a lot of shakes that I don't necessarily have the desire to ingest, but do it for the protein. I think these liquids do count toward hydration. I like water with lemon or lime slices but just can't drink as much as I need to. At 4.5 months post-op, I can't chugalug anything, and I really wasn't that good at it pre-op. I have quite a bit of restriction. After a few bites, I'm done. I doubt if I've gotten 1000 calories since I started the pre-op diet. I buy the bars & shakes but don't always remember to consume them. I do get hungry, but not all that often. When I am hungry, it only takes a little something to satiate me. I'm really struggling still. I eat a lot of fish & that's mostly what I crave. I try to take a lot of vitamins. I hope I responded to what you were asking.

BREAK EVERY CHAIN!!!

4. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 92 Times

Yes, Ima and thank you. =)

Name
    Jane
    Surgery date
    09/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    11-14-2015 11:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,201 Times
    Blog Entries

Toopie, I haven't had any problems staying hydrated. I use water and Isopure in the bottle. As for the "shakes", I do use Premiere Protein to help me hit my full protein needs - usually only one a day and sometimes none. I don't find them intolerable. I was able to drink them within a week of surgery. I haven't found any need to try to chug anything post surgery, I drink slowly throughout the day and it works fine for me. Hope this helps.

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    01-21-2017 11:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 64 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

I actually tolerated isopure clear very well. In fact, it was an authorised clear liquid during the first few days post-op on. I could drink up to 1 bottle of diluted isopure per day. Some othe proteins that I used to like haven't tasted so great post op, would upset my stomach or give me the runs. Protein IS expensive. I still drink it and I tolerate all the ones I have very well. Unfortunately, it's hard to know what will work for you fete surgery. My suggestion - have a variety of a few or get samples (you can buy unjury and syntax samples, there are a few less popular ones). See how you feel before commiting to a tub.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Denise Foremam's Avatar
    Name
    Denise Foreman
    Surgery date
    11/27/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-20-2015 05:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 169 Times

I tried the Isopure liquid protien, they are so nasty I couldn't drink them, I went on regular protien shakes a little early because I felt like I needed protien and I feel so much better.

Surgery date
    12/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Duffy
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 313 Times in 256 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 270 Times
    Blog Entries

In preparation for surgery, I've been drinking watered down Isopure. I ordered a variety case and liked all the flavors. I just ordered another case, but to save money, I ordered a "tub" of one of the flavors... let's see how that goes.

Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

They were for me. I did chocolate and vanilla mixed with milk pre-op but switched to bottled Isopure, (not a fav) or Nectar products, (much better) mixed with water for about the first 2 months afterwards. NOTHING WAS EASY to take for about the first month, but thinner was better. You just kind of have to find the product you hate the least and put on your big girl panties\big boy britches and DO IT. I looked at it as part of my prescription. I don't not take my medicine (or let the kids skip theirs) because it tastes bad. We suck it up and get it down because our health dictates that we need it.

"Trust me, I don't drink my protein shake every morning because I think it tastes like a chocolate blizzard from Dairy Queen. I've tried many varieties over the last 2 years. I'd even venture to say 25 of the top sellers/flavors have crossed my lips. For the record? I've yet to find one that is as 'delicious' as boasted by the distributor. So what. I still drink one every morning. My HEALTH dictates that I need "X" grams of protein per day. If I'm not getting enough from my meals then I supplement a shake. 'Nuff said."

From THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!!! By: Leilani
    THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!! Wise words about WLS!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her attitude about taking your after care seriously. It's what we sign up for (for LIFE) when we ask someone to cut out 80%-90% or our stomach.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

14. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 92 Times

Thanks so much everyone. @Heather, I remember reading that thread and it was just as inspirational the second time around. I have an arsenal of anti-nausea meds at home and if I get dehydrated my emergency medical kit is coming out. I've tried the Isopure clears before and thought they were decent. We'll see post-op if I feel the same way! Watering them down is a good idea, so thank you!

Name
    Charletta
    Surgeon
    N/A
    Last Activity
    11-27-2015 11:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 117 Times in 111 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,045 Times
    Blog Entries

Wow first time I've read it and here is what hit home for me.

"This surgery is a gift, I owe it to me and everyone else fighting the approval process, to do it right! I will continue to choke down my vitamins, my water and my protein every single day, for the REST OF MY LIFE. Some days will be easier than others, regardless, no days will be missed."

She thought she could......so she did!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2014
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    01-01-2015 03:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 27 Times

thanks for the post. my surgery is the 12th - same surgeon. glad you are feeling better!