Gastric Sleeve Member DeeLove227's Avatar
    Last Activity
    08-23-2015 11:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Considering Gastric Sleeve

Hello,

I am considering gastric sleeve. For me it was fairly easy to get approved. I go in to see the surgeon Dec 15, but in the meantime I am researching the procedure and I am trying to find the complications and how many have died because of this. I am also concerned that me not having a stomach may pose a problem in the future.

Does this procedure still allow you to eat sweets? Also, seems like a lot of people had little complications. Is this a dream?

Thank you very much for this forum and I look forward to participating in the chats.

-Dee

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cara
    Surgery date
    01/26/2015
    Surgeon
    Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-25-2016 03:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 67 Times
    Was Thanked 52 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 106 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Considering Gastric Sleeve

Quick answer:
    With the Gastric Sleeve you actually keep part of your stomach.
    You will be able to eat sweets again.
    I haven't seen tons of complications from others, most come with going against Dr. orders and eating to much too soon.

Long answer:
    Definitely do your research. I researched and watched for almost 2 years before making the decision. I am not saying you should wait that long. Funds were also a problem for me and my insurance doesn't cover it which is why I will be going to Mexico and self-paying.

Like I said, you do keep a portion of your stomach with the Gastric Sleeve. It eventually stretches out if you eat too much consistently. I have seen many people on forums who had to go back and get re-sleeved because they gained all their weight back.

Yes you can eat sweets but hopefully you are asking if you are able to indulge once in awhile. If you plan on eating as much sweets as you want, don't bother getting surgery (just being frank). If that is the case you will lose weight at first due to the restriction but could find yourself gaining all your weight back and then some if you don't plan on making the life changes necessary to keep the weight off.

There aren't typically a ton of complications. Some people have complications because they didn't follow the pre-op diet to get your liver to shrink before surgery or the post-op diet when we are supposed to be letting our stomachs heal. If you eat things you aren't supposed to before the time your post op diet says you will spend a lot of time in the bathroom and it will not be pleasant.

These forums are a great place to find out information from people who have already had the surgery. Search in the forum titles, that should get you started.

Good luck on your journey!
    Cara Krueger

Starting Weight 333
    12/15/14: 320.9
    1/6/15: 314.5
    1/18/15: 309.8 Surgery day goal of 310 met early!!
    Day of surgery 1/26/15: 306
    2/9/15 Goal of 300 met on 1/31/2015
    2/26/15: 276 Goal 290 met on 2/7/2015
    3/26/15: 268
    4/26/15: 250
    5/26/15: 234
    6/26/15: 228
    7/26/15: 215
    8/26/15: 209
    9/26/15: 202
    10/26/15: 193
    11/26/15: 187
    12/26/15: 184
    1/26/16: 179
    2/26/16: 178

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/01/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. David Brown
    Last Activity
    04-25-2016 01:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 277 Times
    Was Thanked 83 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times

I am newly sleeved (12/1.) I chose the sleeve because I liked that there was no 're-routing' of my digestive system, just a reduction in size of the stomach. From my understanding, there are less issues with absorption and while you will need to follow up regularly with your doctor for the first year, there isn't a lot of follow-up you have to do (unless you have other issues) beyond that. I have also been reading a lot about other procedures that just didn't seem right for me. This is a great site and there are many very wise and experienced people who share advice. Do as much research as possible and be sure it feels like the right procedure for you. By the way, they used to do the VSG as a first step for people who were going to need to have the by-pass but it wasn't safe enough for them until they lost some weight. They found that people were having such great success with the sleeve that it became a stand alone procedure and is becoming more popular. That said a lot to me. Best wishes and good luck to you in your journey!!

Gastric Sleeve Member DeeLove227's Avatar
    Last Activity
    08-23-2015 11:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thanks Everyone