Dr Zapata
    Last Activity
    07-28-2019 05:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Was Thanked 195 Times in 128 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 75 Times
    Blog Entries

Default That Crazy first year!

I had a lot of pain with the recovery, and complications(BAD), but all said and done it was worth it to me because for me I was at the end of my rope and did not want to spend one more day being obese! I Knew without a shadow of a doubt that without the surgery I would never be able to lose the amount of weight I needed to be healthy again. I had suspected for years that something was wrong with me and that there must be a reason I could not lose the weight and why whenever went on a diet, I would lose way too slowly, then I would give up my body would immediately start packing it back on Plus 10 more lbs! So for me I KNEW this was my last chance! My weight was going to kill me & I was NOT going to die this way, and if the surgery killed me from complications, well at least I went down fighting! So I survived surgery, and After I lost 50 lbs I really started noticing a difference in the way I felt, more energy, less pain. I started looking better and finally started to recognize the "old Younger" me in the mirror! That gave me the encouragement to keep hanging on (as if i had any choice in the matter!) The year after surgery was so life changing, I felt like Alice in wonderland!The Eating and NOT eating part was not very pleasant, and had a lot of ups and downs, but I never could have prepared myself for how amazing it was to start wearing sizes that I had not seen since I was a teenager! The Strangest part is how on a daily basis I felt so impatient, like I was losing too slowly. But on a monthly basis I would be shocked every time my clothes were too big and I would be in a new size, it felt like it was all happening too fast! This strange psychological mind game drove me crazy from day to day! As I was losing weight I felt like I wasn't, but then it would sink in that I actually WAS Losing and it would kinda freak me out!! Also people who hadn't seen me for about a month would freak out at how much I was losing and that was both reassuring and unsettling as well! But then getting SMALLER then my Goal weight was really hard to wrap my mind around! I was so used to failure and defeat that I had planned on being happy if I even got HALFWAY to goal, I was hoping to get close to it but reaching it and going past it totally BLEW MY MIND! It took being thin for about a year to really get used to myself but even now sometimes I do a double take when I catch my reflection and say "WOW is that REALLY me?" For me it started out as a plan to get my health back, the added benefit of looking better was there also but i had no Idea HOW much of a difference it would make to my appearance and self esteem. So hang in there because there is a new life waiting for you, free of Foot pain, swollen ankles, bone weary exhaustion, Sleep apnea,Snoring,type 2 diabetes, Fat clothes, fat photos, ect ect ect.... And a beautiful new you that you have forgotten about! Love Rainbow

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Joe Poppa's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Last Activity
    09-04-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 660 Times
    Was Thanked 525 Times in 357 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,023 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: That Crazy first year!

Congratulations Rainbow. I am very happy for you.
    Your story is inspirational!

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.

Gastric Sleeve Member LuckyCharmz82's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/09/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Balder
    Last Activity
    04-08-2016 11:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 58 Times
    Blog Entries

Absolutely love your post!!!! Thanks

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-19-2014 12:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I had very few with my surgery. Being patient was the biggest obstacle. I am so glad I had the sleeve. I still get frustrated when I can't eat more than about 3-4 oz of meat or very little carbs or I end of with rotten gas. I wouldn't trade being able to go back to my old eating habits for my thinner me, nope not ever!! I agree with everything Rainbow said except for surgical difficulties. It was a slow yet quick weight loss. It is still hard to believe this is me and that I can wear clothes in a size 2!!!! My husband recently found an old picture of me... Wow what a drastic change!!! I didn't realize how bad I looked and felt. I'm so glad I get to live life forward from where I'm at now!! Life isn't without its challenges but having to always worry about my weight and how to hide it and lose it is a thing of the past has made my life less stressful. image.jpg that's me in the Orange. [image.jpg

Surgery date
    07/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pleatman
    Last Activity
    08-12-2020 09:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 243 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 68 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times

love this post. Thanks!

My husband seems more freaked than me, as I can tell I am shrinking, but he sees it more. He'll call me skinny minnie and stuff like that. And I am 29 pounds away from my goal weight, 9 pounds away from my doctor's goal (which is a 70% loss of excess).

So beyond the smaller portions and likely healthier food choices, what changes did you make to lose the weight and keep it off since 2009?

Are you exercising and what types, more active in general, etc. I'd live tips, especially for ling term success. Thanks!
    Day of Surgery 7/22: 201
    Month 1: 187
    Month 2: 176
    Month 3: 166
    Month 4: 158
    Month 5: 150
    Month 6: 143
    Month 7: 138
    Month 8: 133
    Month 9: 130 (reached target goal)
    Month 10: 126
    Month 11: 126
    Month 12: 123
    Month 13-18: 121-123 (weight range on maintenance)

Current goal: maintain weight in low 120s. Exercise 6 days a week - weight lifting, yoga, biking, running, paddleboarding, and just being active.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Rainbow
    Surgery date
    07/23/2009
    Surgeon
    Dr Zapata
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Blog Entries

Well, Chunky, I would love to impress you all with tales of superwoman exercise, marathons and zumba! But the sad truth is that I have never had a good relationship with exercise! That being said, from the beginning I have made an effort to simply try to incorporate more actively into my day. I park farther away instead of finding the closest spot to the door. I take the stairs instead of the elevator if it's just 1 or 2 floors. ( I'm not crazy ) After the weight loss, my activities, and energy naturally increased. I have a fairly active life...so I leave it at that! As far as my diet goes. When I had my sleeve done I jumped off the yoyo diet Rollercoaster from hell and vowed to never go back! I have never been a healthfood Natzi but I am mindful of my nutrition. I eat whatever I want in small amounts. I don't deny myself something just because it is high in carbs or sugar or fat. The idea of never eating something I love makes it forbidden fruit and that much harder for me. Instead I tend to pick and choose what I eat based on the big picture of how I am doing at the time. Helps me to take it or leave it. It works for me. Hope this is helpful to you. LOVE Rainbow

Name
    Rainbow
    Surgery date
    07/23/2009
    Surgeon
    Dr Zapata
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Blog Entries

I would add one more thing on my eating...I do have a few simple Rules / Boundaries that I rarely EVER break. I do not drink my calories. I only drink sugar free mostly I stick to coffee with a little milk. I rarely drink juice. I don't eat ice cream. ..I love it but it makes me extremely sick..so not worth it. If I drank more calories/ carbs I think it would be a lot harder to maintain. OK that's all! Rainbow

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times
    Was Thanked 607 Times in 457 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times

Rainbow! I have missed seeing you on here! So glad you posted! You were such an encouragement to me when I first started and I will always be grateful! I have tried to pay it forward as well. Thank you!
    A person's a person, no matter how small! Dr. Suess

Name
    Rainbow
    Surgery date
    07/23/2009
    Surgeon
    Dr Zapata
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mbenson5 View Post
    Rainbow! I have missed seeing you on here! So glad you posted! You were such an encouragement to me when I first started and I will always be grateful! I have tried to pay it forward as well. Thank you!
    Hi! So happy to see you on here as well! You have done so well I am so proud I could burst! I really am so happy for your sucsess! Love Rainbow