Surgeon
    Dr.Alamanza
    Last Activity
    11-27-2017 09:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 57 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Long term sleevers and WEIGHT GAIN???

I attend a bypass support group (for over 6months) and I have noticed several people that have joined lately are 3+ years out and almost all of these individuals have at least gained 25-40lbs back. The people including the lady that leads this group have said ITS NORMAL to gain that back. I have to say WTFlip no way!!! I just can't believe that almost three years out myself I should be ok with this weight gain. These people say it's inevitable!!! I just want to cry cause 5yrs out I can't gain that back. It drives me to craziness to think I could do this!!! How many of you have had this happen?? Do you still workout? Are you eating to much!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh This is craziness!!!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Missy1973's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Camelo Ramos
    Last Activity
    11-09-2015 07:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 81 Times

Default Re: Long term sleevers and WEIGHT GAIN???

Good question. I look forward to hearing from some people.

Gastric Sleeve Member GoAllTheWeigh's Avatar
    Name
    Cyndy
    Surgery date
    12/15/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bolanowski
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

I am with you as far as WTF!!! I just wrote, but erased a bunch of "i won't go there, etc"...but I cannot see into the future. I just know I am scared of the surgery, the healing, the pain, the whole lifestyle change. I can yo=yo diet without surgery! Since you are 3 years out, I imagine you will not gain the weight back...you've gone too far, and you have ingrained what you've learned to keep your goal weight! Good for you and congrats I will watch posts here, as well...I was just thinking about looking up people 3 to 10 years out...and see results. You are one I want to be!

10/05/14 266
    12/15/14 255 11 lbs lost
    01/15/15 235 31 lbs lost
    02/15/15 227 39 lbs lost
    03/15/15 220 46 lbs lost
    04/15/15 210 56 lbs lost
    05/15/15 206 60 lbs lost
    12/15/15 191 75 lbs lost

Gastric Sleeve Member Mommysoup's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Alamanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks GO ALL THE WAY!!! I think the first time I heard this I made a mental promise not to gain. To continue to workout and eat well!! I'm just so scared and a day doesn't go by without gratitude to where I am today!!! Good luck to both of you as well!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/15/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alley
    Last Activity
    05-25-2016 10:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

I believe the only way to regain the weight is to go back to your old unhealthy way of life. period. its a choice people make. I know people who have had gastric bypass and have gained the weight back. its just a tool. you still have to make the right choices.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Shila
    Surgery date
    03/27/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-06-2017 10:22 AM
    Said "Thanks" 30 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 31 Times
    Blog Entries

That is a scary number! If in 3 years you gain back 25-40 lbs where will I be 5-10 years out? I read about a lot if people eating what they want win they want because they aren't on a diet. I just can't wrap my mind around that because if I ate what I wanted everyday i'de have 500 more calories in Starbucks coffee once or twice a day and another 500 calories in chips.I could easily start gaining. I think when I'm at goal I will only let my weight fluctuate by 5lbs. I never want to go back to what I use to be!

Surgery date
    03/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Alamanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

Shila do you remember the older gal that goes (I haven't seen her in a while) and I belive you were there and she was talking about how it just going to happen I almost cried!! And several time of going I have been noticing that some tummies have stretched and they are eating more causing the gain!!! Maybe because we went to Almanza it will be differnt?? It might just be me but I have noticed tons have had this with dr. Cottum?

Name
    Shila
    Surgery date
    03/27/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 30 Times
    Blog Entries

Yes I think I know who you are talking about. I have wondered if going to Almanza and coming home then being forced to take our health into our own hands because we aren't coddled by Dr's, nuts and exercise gurus had anything to do with it. I haven't gotten any reminders since the park are they still meeting? Oh and I like your new picture!

Surgery date
    03/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Alamanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

I haven't been able to make it. But yes we have one on the 19th I guess at the hospital. Hey thanks I took it for my husband it was our 13th anniversary on the 10th. It was fun!!!! I see your just doing amazing!! How are you feeling????

Name
    Shila
    Surgery date
    03/27/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 30 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm doing well. The scale hasn't gone down two much the last 3 weeks but I went down a whole pants size so I'm not complaining! I had labs drawn a little while ago and they were good except my cholesterol was up. I assume it's from all the animal protein.

Surgery date
    03/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Alamanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

Ya I had to go all vegan because of my cholesterol. I can't complain it was for the best!!! Good for you!! You'll lose slower but the inches are going to start falling off!! Yayyy for new clothes!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member themouse1960's Avatar
    Name
    Phyllis
    Surgery date
    10/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Aceves
    Last Activity
    10-04-2016 04:05 AM
    Said "Thanks" 66 Times
    Was Thanked 128 Times in 110 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 140 Times
    Blog Entries

I am 3 years out as of 10/20. I lost all of my weight in the first 7 months. So by may of 2012 until Christmas of 2013 I stayed at my weight-or within 2-3 pounds. Then BAM! 15#'s found me. I still exercise daily. I notice that carbs have snuck back into my diet a little more than before. I have a couple of words of wisdom. Never say never. And-yes it is a tool but I believe you need to also fix your head. I have returned to Weight Watchers for the group support and have taken off 6#'s . That would be my advice-group support or some sort of counseling.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

I was told gaining 10 pounds from your lowest weight is common which is why I've decided to lower my goal range by 10 pounds, (still well within the healthy range, but gives me a bit of wiggle room). That said, if we go back to old habits, we're gonna get our "old" results! For me that means exercise is part of my life, 5 days per week, same schedule as during my loss phase. I just eat a few more calories now. I weigh once per week and if I go 5 pounds either side of my sweet spot (which has happened once since I've been in maintenance) I adjust my diet until I'm back where I belong.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

Gastric Sleeve Member melanie0941's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Schmitt
    Last Activity
    11-15-2015 12:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 44 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 55 Times

Hello Mommysoup,

I just posted the below a few weeks ago... I am re-posting a it may answer some of our questions...

Hello Sleevers,

I am 3 YEARS post gastric sleeve surgery today!

First, I want to say... I am soooo glad I got the sleeve. I have NEVER regretted my decision. Sure, there have been some ups and downs on this road but at least I felt like I had a fighting chance with this phenomenal tool.

Some "PEARLS" of my experience:

- I kept my surgery to myself and a handful of friends and family... who I asked them to protect my privacy ... which they did.
    Didn't have to deal with the drama of someone disagreeing with my decision or saying something that "hurt my feelings" or
    derailed my focus. Best decision for me ever!

- I made a decision to NOT just use the volume restriction of the sleeve but to make huge nutritional improvements in what I put into
    the sleeve. I entered my intake into Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com so I could educate myself for almost a year. I still periodically go back and
    do this as what I think is "healthy" is not always so. This data entry exercise pulls me back to reality. I went to a series of vegetarian
    classes to try to understand how to cook tasty healthy vegetables... with emphasis on those with protein. I learned soooo much and have
    added so many healthy vegetables to my option list. I DO eat meat... but I didn't need a class for that. ha

- I realized I am a carboholic - I LOVE carbs. I also realize that if I cut way back on carbs for 3 days, my drive for carbs greatly decreases.
    As, the carbs go up, so does the weight. Carbs cause an increase in insulin... then insulin goes to work storing fat. Its that simple.
    If you cut back on everything else (fat, sodium, etc), you will NOT get the same results as cutting back on carbs.

- I have not taken even one sip of a carbonated beverage. Not gonna step on that slippery slope. Too many alternatives out there.

- I have always been one to exercise but I have made it a core activity... something that is not optional. At a minimum, I take a walk
    around the block... but mainly I go golfing (walk), go to the gym and primarily do the elliptical and some weights. Weights are very
    important to help build / retain muscle mass... which helps burn off fat. I have had some injuries that I could have used as an excuse
    but insteadI had to alter what exercise I did but I never let that be an excuse. (neck surgery, serious achilles tendon injury). When I
    walk, I have started using the new ap called "run keeper" which helps keep up with my time/distance. Kindof fun too!

- I frequently search on www.PINTEREST.com to get wonderful LOW carb recipes... I can save them there and when I need to make a
    dish or meal, I can quickly look there before I get tempted to buy unhealthy options. This is my FAVORITE cookbook now.

- I don't keep foods that tempt me in my house. No cookies, cakes, chips, candy, bread etc. Its easy not to eat them when they are
    not there. I HAVE had a few times where I "bake" some carby desserts... Not good! But at least it takes me some time to make them
    that I often times change my mind and don't bother.
    I always keep snacks that I like in my house... My favorites are almonds, turkey bites,
    canned peaches packed with NO sugar, Protein Bars... One of my favorite treats is to get 1/2 cup 0% greek yogurt... mixed with a tad of
    honey, then stir in some frozen berries. OMG! That will usually stop my carb craving... Keep in mind that all these carbs DO add up
    and they will stop weight loss and will make you gain back lost weight if not very careful. If you are seriously trying to get rid of weight,
    reduce your carbs to 50 or less. I now try to keep mine below 120/day. I don't always succeed but every day is a new day and I just hit
    re-set every new day.

- I weigh everyday when I am at home. Its important for me to do this as I can get a reality check much quicker when I do so. I don't fret
    over a pound or two change as I once did... but when it gets over 5 pounds etc... I go back to some of my tools (my fitness pal ) etc to
    start counting my carbs... as that seems to be the reason I gain weight...

- My sister and niece both got the surgery after I did. One gained most if not all her weight back. The other gained much of her weight
    back. Neither made the nutritional changes necessary for success. They eat less volume but they eat waaaaay too many carbs for weight
    loss. All that to say... this Sleeve is a TOOL!!! You WILL gain weight if you don't make nutritional changes.

- I personally will fail at times... When I do, I must pick myself up... dust myself off and get back on track. I still struggle but I DO know
    now that I CAN do it. Just writing this post has encouraged me to keep up the fight! :-)

Good luck to all of you as you continue on this journey.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Surgery date
    03/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Alamanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for all your help and advice!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast