Surgeon
    Dr. Feiz
    Last Activity
    11-22-2014 11:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default pre op questions

So today is November 7th and my surgery is on the 19th. When i first started my journey they made it pretty clear that when it would be time for surgery, i would need to go on a 2 week liquid diet.
    Well I called and set up my surgery date yesterday which was THURS the 6th. and they wanted me to do my surgery next week, WED the 12th. So I asked the receptionist about needing to be on a 2 week liquid diet and she told me "nope it's just 1 week" (but that would still be hardly 6 days!! Actually less because it was late in the day yesterday when i was talking to her). I'm just so confused as to what I'm supposed to be doing. I feel like they are just not being very clear and I don't want to show up ready for surgery on the 19th then be told i have to post pone it because i wasn't given the right directions on my diet. I live 2 hours from where i will be getting my surgery!
    They also havent been very clear on what i need to be eating/drinking, my calorie intake,etc. i need some responses.
    did anyone else feel like they weren't getting enough information?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/17/2014
    Surgeon
    James B Wooldridge Jr
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 72 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 131 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: pre op questions

My experience has basically been the opposite. I have a folder full of instructions I've had to follow since I started all the pre-op stuff and then a couple days ago when I went for my final pre-op visit before my surgery I was given about 4 more papers all with clear instructions on them.

Is there a number you can call where you can speak to either the surgeon or whoever is the head of the bariatric department? It would seem to me that it would be in your best interest to call and talk to someone who's in charge and find out for certain what you have to do. If you can't, I would do 2 weeks of liquid only (protein shakes, sugar free popsicles, sugar free jello, low sodium broth) diet just in case.

That aside personally I'd be wary of a hospital/clinic that doesn't have the most basic act together regarding the surgery. This is MAJOR surgery, it needs to be taken seriously. I know you don't want to delay your surgery but maybe that would be a good idea until you can get all the answers you need and have them be solid answers, not just depending on who you're talking to.

Gastric Sleeve Member itsmeamy0127's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nicholson
    Last Activity
    11-24-2014 01:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 87 Times

I've seen so many different "pre-op" diets. Some, 2 weeks, some 1 week, some 2 days.....
    I'd call your doctors office and get clarification.

Gastric Sleeve Member healthier86's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Um
    Last Activity
    10-26-2018 06:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 96 Times in 95 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 267 Times
    Blog Entries

I had a two day pre surgery diet to follow. Please call your doctor's office back for clarification. Maybe, they can fax you something in writing with the pre op instructions. Good Luck!

Starting weight: 207
    Day of surgery 9/16/13: 195
    Day released from hospital 9/18/13: 210
    First follow up appt. 9/24: 200
    Second post op appt. 10/1: 188
    Third post op appt. 11/12: 176
    Fourth post op appt: 2/20/14: 155

I can do all things through Christ who strengths me.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/27/2014
    Surgeon
    prof. Rubino
    Last Activity
    01-13-2015 03:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

Hi - we share the same name �� my op date is 25th Nov & what I've learned from this forum is that there arelots of pre-op diets !!!! I am on a 2week food based diet (800-1000 cals - low carbs,low fat, low sugar) & finding it hard as I am useless at diets & wud almost def "cheat" on a liquid diet. Anyway it would be wise to make sure you have all the necessary info & that your surgeons team or bariatric dept give you clear advice.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents