Surgeon
    Dr. Felipe Cantu
    Last Activity
    02-03-2015 10:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 47 Times

Default I'm freaking out here!!!

I have my surgery scheduled for Nov 25- that's only 19 days and I'm freaking out. I do suffer form anxiety and my doctor recommended to take my Xanax everyday from now till day before surgery even though I only take it as needed, but even with that my mind doesn't stop. I keep thinking just about everything that could go wrong and I freak out even more, I haven't been sleeping well. Anybody with anxiety that can give me some tips?
    Another thing, I've read that pre-op diet is 2-3 weeks? My doctor only asked for me to do liquid diet for 3 days before surgery, that is just a little strange, he did prescribed some anti acid twice a day for a week before surgery and some vitamins 2 weeks before.
    Anyway this is my firs post and I guess I'll have many many more questions as time approaches or even more after surgery.
    Great day everyone

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chung
    Last Activity
    02-08-2016 12:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 76 Times
    Was Thanked 149 Times in 131 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,381 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I'm freaking out here!!!

Chazbeartx-is having his surgery the say day as you! Yall should stay connected to follow each others progress!

Take your xanax and sister you should be cheering and doing kartwheels in your head getting ready for the surgery! Yes it's scary and all the what if's start to come up! Those are all normal feelings I promise! I can tell you this, keep yourself busy! Everytime your mind starts racing go clean out a drawer or go for a walk. Think of how fabulous you are going to look in a year from now! You will be able to wear whatever you want! You will be able to exercise without pain....the list of positives greatly outweigh the list of negatives.

I only had a 5 day diet...every dr is different! You are basically trying to shrink down the liver so it is easier to get to your tummy.

Ask any questions that you like...we are all here to help you in anyway we can!

Kacie

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Beth Pets's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/16/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Douglas Ewing
    Last Activity
    12-05-2014 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 90 Times

I suffer from anxiety and depression (much less since I left my monthly cycle and menopause behind me) but I was on Xanax the week before my surgery because my beloved Dog died. I haven't really needed any meds for years and I would have gone through Henry's passing without them but I knew I needed to be level and positive for my surgery. It really helped and I found I didn't need it as much after surgery but I still used it when I needed it and it has been a big help.

Every surgeon is different. Mine didn't ask anything special except no food after 6pm the day before and no liquid after midnight. I lost 25 lbs anyway and it helped in every way pre, during and post surgery.

I lost 25 pounds on my (2 month) pre-surgical diet and my weight the date of surgery was 290.

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Duffy
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 313 Times in 256 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 270 Times
    Blog Entries

My Dr. requires a liquid diet for 3 days - very doable. I don't have a date yet but I am already cutting back on the junk food and increasing my dog walks. Xanax is good - take it - it will help.

8. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    11/18/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Duncan
    Last Activity
    07-01-2015 09:08 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

My surgery was scheduled for the 25th, but they called me last week and had to change it to th 18th. I have the same feelings that you do! I don't normally have anxiety, but for the last couple of weeks I feel like I have been having "panic attacks". I have worked so hard to be approved for this surgery, so I know that it is something that I want to do, but I keep thinking of the "what ifs". I am hoping that the dr. gives me a prescription for Xanax before the surgery. I too only have a liquid diet for 2 day prior to surgery. I am trying to think positive thoughts. Good luck to you!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    09/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Rothchild
    Said "Thanks" 181 Times
    Was Thanked 530 Times in 430 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12,041 Times
    Blog Entries

Freaking out is normal, take the Xanax breathe and know you are doing this for a reason. focus on the reason you are doing this and try to remember this is going to be an emotional ride but you can do it!
    And all Dr's are different mine didn't require any type of pre op diet at all it was just no food or drink 12 hrs b4 surgery so don't worry about that.
    I was nervous when i was getting ready for mine and I will still say it has been the best thing i ever did for ME! I wish you all the best and try not to worry!
    "Its Not Hard Its Just New!"
    Transforming from caterpillar to butterfly to phoenix!

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Joe Poppa's Avatar
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Last Activity
    09-04-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 660 Times
    Was Thanked 525 Times in 357 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,023 Times
    Blog Entries

Don't focus too much on the negative aspects of what could possibly happen but instead on the positive results of what will happen when you successfully lose your excess body weight.

Congratulations in advance on your surgery.

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.

15. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    06-11-2015 05:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

My pcp prescribe Prozac for after my surgery in Mexico. Is that normal?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/17/2014
    Surgeon
    James B Wooldridge Jr
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 72 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 131 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm on Xanax as well and take it every day on a normal basis anyway because I have such high levels of anxiety. I read somewhere that if you try to not think about something, that's how much more you WILL think about it. So instead of trying to fight the scary thoughts, try to take them on. Be positive toward them. If your brain says "What if something goes wrong?" you tell it back "I trust my surgeon and his team and I wouldn't be having this surgery if I didn't." Basically treat your brain like it's a hyperventilating friend and you're the voice of reason.

If you can't do that, do as much as possible to distract your thoughts. Read a book, watch a movie, interact with people, anything you can think of that will force your mind to think of other things for just a little while. Exhaust yourself if you can so you have less issues trying to get to sleep with a full head.

And remember, you are not alone. This site is full of people who have gone or will go through the exact same thing you are and they're all willing to see you through to the other side too. So don't feel shy about posting something here and asking lots of questions.

18. Said thanks:

Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

I took a daily anti anxiety pre-op for years. It was supposed to help reduce my blood pressure as the 2 BP meds weren't doing the trick on their own. Being extra emotional pre-op and especially as you're losing fat rapidly post op is so normal. I looked at it this way... letting them cut me was not nearly as scary as where I was headed if I did nothing different. THAT was a future I couldn't live with. Be grateful you have a short liquid diet! Mine was only 5 days, which ended up being longer as my EGD liquid diet prep ran right up to those 5 days. By that time, I didn't care, I was just looking at the light at the end of the tunnel! It will all be sooooo worth it! BTW, no more BP meds, anti-anxiety meds, cholesterol meds, or asthmas meds! I was able to come off ALL of that crap within 6 months post op! No guarantee that you'll have the same experience, but it has been a great gift to be free of all the chemicals as well as my food obsession!

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dmart27 View Post
    My pcp prescribe Prozac for after my surgery in Mexico. Is that normal?
    Huh? No. That's not normal.

That's weird.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84