12/16/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pleatman
    Last Activity
    04-03-2015 10:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default If Traveling for Surgery, Who Checks You Post-Op?

I know that this question might just be silly, but for those who have travelled for surgery (either inside or outside the country), who checks your incision sites with you one week, one month, and six months after surgery? I know this (or something similar) is standard for most surgeries, and I'm assuming those working with insurance have the benefit of local check-ups, both scheduled and as needed. This is my one great concern with traveling for surgery, but given my need to self-pay, I think traveling may be my only option.

Thoughts?

Thanks, so much.

Kori

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Re: If Traveling for Surgery, Who Checks You Post-Op?

Your PCP is fully capable of checking the stitches and removing them if you don't do it yourself.

As for six months? Personally, I don't see a need to go see a doctor for that. By the time six months has come and gone, you'll be a new person and the only thing left of the incisions is a little discoloration.

Many of the folks that went the Mexico route will tell you that the fears and concerns you have are very normal and really not necessary. The bariatric surgeons in Tijuana are all pretty darn good. Do your research, ask questions, and make your choice. If you choose an established surgeon in TJ, it'll be hard for you to go wrong.

4. Said thanks:

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by korilu View Post
    I know that this question might just be silly, but for those who have travelled for surgery (either inside or outside the country), who checks your incision sites with you one week, one month, and six months after surgery? I know this (or something similar) is standard for most surgeries, and I'm assuming those working with insurance have the benefit of local check-ups, both scheduled and as needed. This is my one great concern with traveling for surgery, but given my need to self-pay, I think traveling may be my only option.

Thoughts?

Thanks, so much.

Kori
    As Tinman said, Mexico has some really great surgeons. I can tell you from personal experience that Dr. Quinones followed up with my incisions. Back when I had surgery he used the stitches that have to be taken out...which I took out myself on day 10 post op...no biggie at all, but now he uses the stitches that dissolve on their own. My son busted open my largest incision the day the stitches were removed. I called the surgeons office and let them know what happened, and Dr. Q called me back immediately. He asked me to email him pictures of the incisions, and provided me with instructions on taking care of the one my son busted open. He followed up with me for the next 2-3 weeks, via emails and phone calls. He asked me to send him pictures of the scar daily so that he could monitor the incision site. I followed his instructions, sent him the pictures so that he could make sure it wasn't getting infected and that it was healing properly. He was really great during my post op follow up care.

I followed my post op instructions for incision care, along with the additional ones Dr. Q gave me for the one my son busted open, and they all healed wonderfully, no infection issues what so ever. I agree with tinman, at 6 months your incisions shouldn't be an issue at all. Even the incision that my son reopened was heal way before I hit 6 months out. Your surgeon should provide you will post op incision care instructions, as well as information regarding what to look for in case of infection. If you have any doubts, just call your surgeon and send pictures of the incision sites, they will be able to tell you what to do. Best of luck to you dear. I hope this helps some!

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Cyndy-loo's Avatar
    Name
    Cyndy-loo
    Surgery date
    05/12/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-13-2018 08:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 78 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 252 Times
    Blog Entries

I had my surgery in TJ and I took out my own stitches and used mederma gel on the scars and now they are faded to almost nothing. Tinman is right it is now 5 months later and I do feel like a new person. I talked to my Dr. when I got back and she told me to only come and see her if there was a problem, make sure I keep the incision sites clean by having a shower every day. I have had no issues medically. The one issue I do have is why did it take me so long to take control of my eating. I am happy and healthier than I have ever been. Sometimes I feel like this is just a dream and I will wake up still being fat.

8. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/16/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pleatman
    Last Activity
    04-03-2015 10:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

This is really helpful, thank you. My parents had several health care calamities this summer, and I know they has lots of surgical monitoring in the weeks following. Wrapping my brain around caring for incisions in a different locale is something I have to do, and your feedback is great.

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

This is really helpful, thank you. My parents had several health care calamities this summer, and I know they has lots of surgical monitoring in the weeks following. Wrapping my brain around caring for incisions in a different locale is something I have to do, and your feedback is great.
    The wound care is nothing to worry about. My surgeon gave plenty of instructions on how to care for them properly, and they healed in no time. They also take precautions to reduce your chances of infection after surgery. Surgery in another country can be scary, but honestly, I received better care in Mexico than I have received at numerous places here in the US. Just ask the surgeon you decided on what their post operative care options are, and what kind of preemptive measures they take to reduce you chance of infection. Good luck!

12. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/12/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-07-2018 10:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

I just kept mine clean...you can tell if they look icky...and then I took out my own stitches...

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cyndy-loo View Post
    The one issue I do have is why did it take me so long to take control of my eating. I am happy and healthier than I have ever been. Sometimes I feel like this is just a dream and I will wake up still being fat.
    My stomach used to be almost 7 times bigger than it is now. My tiny tummy is now a tremendous barrier to eating too much food. More importantly, for starters I now have several years to practice eating VERY, VERY DIFFERENTLY.

I never had such a helpful tool before.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Thoughts?

Thanks, so much.

Kori
    My experience here in AZ was that the PCP's looked down on the TJ location but there is a clinic in a Fry's store (Krogers in other parts of the country) that removed stitches for me from another surgery I had done there. For this surgery a friend of mine who is a retired Medic in the Army removed mine for me at his house as a favor to me. My boobs were still too big that I couldn't bend like a contortionist to remove them lol I had no problems with infections.

Name
    Terrie
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Quinones
    Last Activity
    04-02-2019 09:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 110 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Just buy betadine and take it with you. Put it on the incisions daily. You can remove your own stitches and if they gape a bit then put a piece of medical tape on to hold it together until it scabs over. The signs of infection are redness, tenderness and swelling , along with some pus at times.(Also a fever may be present) You will be on antibiotics post op so you probably won't get an infection at the incision sites. I have had no post op care. I am a nurse so I know what to look for, but it isn't rocket science. Everyone knows when something isn't right. If your EPO tells you it won't be covered tell them your cat scratched you,,,alot,,and deep,,ha ha