Surgery date
    09/03/2014
    Last Activity
    02-03-2015 02:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default This was a major mistake

I'm 5 weeks post surgery, sleeve, and I hate this sooooo much, I'm thinking I made a super super colossal mistake.

They (surgeons, doctors) don't tell you what it will REALLY be like after surgery. They want you to lose weight, tell your friends and family, and not worry.

Well, if I had known that I would never ever eat a sandwich again, not enjoy food and suffer like I am or have read that others have too, I surely would not have done a sleeve, maybe a band, but it's too late now....and I am suffering.

Every time I eat, I feel pain, uncomfortable, stuck (no matter how small I cut everything into pieces), I am a very slow eater but it is a feeling as though I'm going to be sick, I have not vomited once...after 30 mins of trying to eat something, I'm ok. I feel fine if I don't eat, but I'm hungry and want to eat.

I've tried, fish, chicken, steak, fruits, veggies....if it's not liquid or soft stuff like we ate the first two weeks, I suffer, this is no fun, it is making me depressed, and the worst is going out to eat with family and friends.

I would not recommend this surgery to anyone.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Mike
    Surgery date
    05/28/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Moon
    Last Activity
    02-04-2017 06:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,694 Times

Default Re: This was a major mistake

Sounds as if you thought this was a fix-all. This is a tool, things are rough for the first few months but they do get better. The purposes of the sleeve is to help you limit what you consume, not used to eat what you want in large amounts and still lose weight. It's a helping tool, maybe you should have done better research before hand.

Beginning- 304
    Day of surgery - 292
    1st goal - 260 6/8/2014
    2nd goal - 240 7/20/2014
    3rd goal - 220 8/30/2014
    4th goal - 200 10/29/2014
    5th goal - 180

Gastric Sleeve Member bigchanges's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/03/2014
    Last Activity
    09-20-2016 08:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I am 6 weeks out too. At 2 weeks I started soft solids and it was a challenge. Everything felt stuck, but over the past 4 weeks it has gotten much better. I think it will get better for you too! Just keep trying to take small bits and swallow carefully. It really does get better, and I know it is hard to see the forest through the trees at this point, but it has to get better. Did you see your surgeon about the pain? If it continues you may want to advocate for some kind of test to see what is happening and causing pain.

I wish you the best, hang in there.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/19/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Umbach
    Last Activity
    02-21-2016 10:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

It doesn't sound like you are having the "typical" reaction. You should check with your surgeon to make sure everything is okay.

I'm almost at 8 weeks, and I am so happy with my choice.

I hope you can figure out how to make things better, and start being happy about your decision.

Starting Weight: 355 Aug 5th
    Surgery Date: 337 Aug 19th
    Current Weight: 300
    First Goal: 300 -reached goal nov 1st!
    2nd Goal: 275 (will be lowest weight in 9 years) - reached goal Jan. 19th!!
    3rd Goal: 250
    4th Goal: 225
    5th Goal: 200
    Last Goal: Onderland
    Anything lower than that is icing on the cake!!!

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Terrie
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Quinones
    Last Activity
    04-02-2019 09:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 110 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

If you read a lot of the forum posts many people don't get on the road for quite a while. I am hoping to and I believe you will too. I am at 16 days and have major head hunger but cannot eat what I want. I can eat all the pureed without restriction so I have to count calories, something I didn't want to have to do. But I am looking toward brighter and easier days. I think it will pay off though. I have already had to buy a size smaller jeans,,,that was day 12 or 13. My coworker noticed I have lost some weight and it has only been 11 pounds.
    It is too late to go back so keep working at finding what works for you. If you focus on the negative you will get depressed ,,because it is permanent.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Lilygirl1973's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Spencer Holover
    Last Activity
    04-08-2015 04:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 172 Times

it will get better....you will feel such a difference in a few more weeks. at your stage, I remember feeling nauseas all day long. and I wondered what I had done to myself. but by the 8th or 9th week out, something completely changed. all my feelings of sickness and depression went away. I feel so normal again and so happy. I can honestly now say this is the best thing I could have done for myself. it will get better for you too. hang in there!

Surgery date
    07/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jose Luis Curiel
    Last Activity
    11-21-2015 08:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 71 Times in 69 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 121 Times

((((((((Argos))))))))) Hang in, Friend. You have to keep moving forward. I hope things get better soon.

BREAK EVERY CHAIN!!!

14. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/03/2014
    Last Activity
    02-03-2015 02:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thanks for the replies and all the support!

I did plenty of research before hand, 99% of it was all good, very positive, read a few forums talked to one lady who lost 85 pounds, she was happy...I never came across someone posting what I am posting, I cannot be the only one going through this.

Again I am angry at the doctors and surgeons, pre-surgery, seminars, nutritionists etc.. because they do not tell you what you are going to be missing, what you are going to feel like, what problems you will encounter and what you can and cannot do. "Everyone is different" is the quote from my surgeon. Why not say the truth? You will never be able to eat a small steak, even a 6 inch sandwich, enjoy food even remotely close to what you did before, not drink anything with your meals and oh ya you will be in pain 2-3 times a day or whenever you eat only 4 ounces of food!!!

I tried several diets that were fads and obviously they did not work, like the Atkins diet. The week prior to my surgery my surgeon said you better start now and cut down your intake to avoid your liver being big and causing potential problems for the surgery. I lost 7 lbs the week before surgery. I cannot exercise much with a bad left knee etc, .. I was encouraged with the weight loss, BUT I was still able to eat out and ENJOY food....Now, cutting your steak or fish or shrimp or apples or whatever into pieces the size of a peanut and use a cocktail fork to eat with, is absurd. THEN, you cannot taste your food and then your food gets cold, I can go on and on, and if someone mentioned all of this to me before surgery, I would never have proceeded.

So, let's be realistic here.......tell me what can you eat, enjoy in what quantities say after 6 months to a year after surgery?

Thanks again.

Name
    Terrie
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Quinones
    Last Activity
    04-02-2019 09:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 110 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Don't focus on how much you CAN eat, but focus on how little you need to lose weight. If I was upset about not being able to eat what got me over weight, why would I have wanted to do the surgery?

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member I'm_worth_it's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Surgery date
    09/08/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clayton Frenzel
    Last Activity
    01-09-2015 06:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm sure sorry to hear your having such a rough time of it. I feel some of your pain, but I was fortunate to have a surgeon and his staff that did their very best to help me be prepared......Was I, not enough, but I'm getting there. I'm 5 weeks out and still on soft food for another week (each dr is different). Honestly it sounds like your body may not be ready for solid foods yet, I know I'm sure not quite there yet.

Eating out has definitely changed for me too, fortunately I have friends and family that are a huge help...........Splitting something I can eat or helping me find places to go where I can have something there too.

Don't give up yet.........Please don't.............I threw up the first two days and have twice since (ate stuff I wasn't ready for)........But I'm off all my meds and very slowly starting to feel better and hope you do as well.

I totally agree, it is NOT fun............And anyone that thinks this is easy is nuts. But unless there is a medical reason for your problems or your eating to much solids already I believe you will get there and feel better about the surgery, food and everything else.

I hope to see you on here again and feeling much better................K

First bariatric appt.: 331 lbs.
    Surgery pre-op appt.: 302 lbs.
    Surgery date: 298 lbs.
    1 month post-op: 263 lbs.
    2 months post-op: 253 lbs.
    3 months post-op: 240 lbs.
    4 months post-op: 222 lbs.
    6 months post-op:

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Kelly
    Surgery date
    02/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rivera
    Last Activity
    11-22-2016 05:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 48 Times

I may be wrong, but it seems like you are going through total food addiction withdrawl. You absolutely will be able to eat those things, sooner than you think, the thing is, you probably shouldnt if you really want to lose weight. This will change your life, and I suggest you go talk to someone about it, or really take the advise of the veterans on here to heart.

21. Said thanks:

Name
    Lauren
    Surgery date
    09/02/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Cavaretta (Synergy Bariatrics)
    Last Activity
    04-03-2018 04:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 36 Times
    Blog Entries

I am 6 weeks post surgery...and would not change it for the world! I am still learning portion control. Once I was put on the soft diet I was told I could advance as tolerated and did....I am eating regular food already just a whole lot less, like an ounce or two max to a time and eating something every few hours...eventually the small meals will come into play. Right out of the gate though I was not able to get more than 3 teaspoonfuls of anything! Any more than that and I was in pain...learned right off what that pain was! I still have issues at times with wanting to nibble while fixing something to eat....doesn't work...I fill up so fast that when meal is ready I can't eat it. I agree with some of the others who said your body just isn't ready yet to advance....keep it with the liquids and slowly introduce the other things, take your time it will come to you. It is very frustrating at times. Keep plugging along....

23. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Mr Li
    Last Activity
    07-02-2016 04:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 106 Times in 94 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

I'm so sorry you're finding it so tough at the moment. What you're experiencing are the side effects of having major surgery - you're still healing and will still have some internal swelling of your sleeve. I remember the horror I felt 2 weeks in, when I went off liquids onto puréed foods (everything I ate seemed to make me feel uncomfortable and I thought it would feel like that forever!! I'm now 12 weeks out and can now comfortably eat steak, chicken, eggs, fish...............and yes, even sandwiches and chocolate!! I just eat them in small quantities There appears to be only one food that I don't tolerate well at present .................(wait for it!).................... LETTUCE!!!! (and even that will no doubt get easier with time.)

I had my surgery done in the UK (where advice is sometimes a little different to the US) and thinking back, I had 2 weeks on liquids, 2 weeks purée, 2 weeks of soft food and finally went onto solid food in week 7, with the advice that if going from one to another was difficult, to go back to the previous one for a few days and then try again, so by UK standards, you're about right!

My advice would be to try and let go of the anger (the stress of it won't be helping your digestion) , be kind to yourself and let your body heal (if it still needs soft stuff, stick with that for a while.) In a few weeks time, you'll look back and be amazed that you ever regretted having your sleeve. X

25. Said thanks:

Name
    Jen
    Surgery date
    05/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Jon Armstrong
    Last Activity
    04-06-2015 05:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 331 Times
    Was Thanked 252 Times in 241 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,922 Times
    Blog Entries

From my experience and I'm 18 months out.... You can eat anything you like, just less of it. IF you are expecting to do that at 5 weeks then you are just plain crazy!
    Give it time before you judge. You bet your life on this change, on the premise that no surgical procedure is without its risks. So having done that, give it time for your body to adjust.
    Post in 12 months or 18 months time (which is closer to what your life will be in the longer term) then tell me you hate it.
    Highest weight ever - 108kgs, Surgery weight -101kgs, Goal weight - 65kgs

27. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Argos, welcome to the forum.

I have to ask you: Why in the world would you assume that what your experience is like at 5 weeks post-op is what your experience will be for the rest of your sleeved life? You're still healing. Some people heal faster and make the mental adjustments faster than others. You're obviously having a harder time of it than others.

You seriously need to do some homework. You need to look for and read posts here by people who are 6 months or longer out. There are people here who were sleeved as long ago as four years. Their experiences are NOT the future you're imagining for yourself.

Buck up.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87