Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: This was a major mistake

You'd rather be fat? I wanted to be regular sized! It is so much fun being regular sized!

At 5 weeks out I couldn't eat much at all either, but I wasn't having horrible pain, so maybe you should talk to your surgeon about what you're experiencing.

What can I eat after a year? I can eat a small burger from McDonalds (OK, maybe all but a few bites). The same with a sandwich made with 2 slices of bread, I can usually eat most of it. (BLT's in the summer - YUM!) I can eat two inches of a steak. I eat 2 eggs for breakfast. I can eat one piece of regular pizza. I can eat a regular sized salad. I can eat a small bag of chips. (I typically don't eat things like McDonald's or chips, but I haven't given it up totally!) I don't feel like I am on any sort of diet, I actually feel like I am eating anything I want. It's weird, but amazing.

I really don't understand when people say they miss food. There is nothing I miss, because I haven't given up anything. I love eating out. I guess if you think eating one piece of pizza instead of the whole pie is going to be horrible, then the sleeve surgery isn't for you. But I think it is a miracle that I am full and totally satisfied with one piece of pizza.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Joe Poppa's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Last Activity
    09-04-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 660 Times
    Was Thanked 525 Times in 357 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,023 Times
    Blog Entries

Your stomach was traumatized. It will take many months before it is at its new normal
    You were sleeved only 5 weeks ago, lay off of the steak, pork or any tougher meats for a little while.
    Listen to your stomach, eat slowly and stop before you begin to register that you feel full.

The other choice would have been stay obese, live a lower quality, less healthy life up to an earlier death.

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.

Surgery date
    09/03/2014
    Last Activity
    02-03-2015 02:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

ok sure I understand, I'm still healing, I can't eat what I use to, down the road maybe I'll feel better eating solids, BUT, if it takes a year to get to that point of being able to eat and not be in pain, then not many would have had the surgery, or you like me were not informed, not buying it, suffer for a year and then you can eat 4 ounces....LOL!

I was sold on the FACT, that you'll be able to eat what you want, but in less quantities, I can live with that, 4-5 ounces ok, not 1-2 ounces, you cannot taste that...

..let me eat half a pastrami and rye sandwich? ok a third? and not with a cocktail fork....I ordered a BLT with colleagues at lunch yesterday, had it cut in half, took two bites, chewed them to dust, slowly swallowed tiny tiny portions, and then felt sick, my friend asks are you alright and then I throw the rest of the sandwich away.....yes, I could have taken it home like I've done with salads, but Deb you are right lettuce is not working for me either...it's brutal!

This is no fun, if I have to wait a year before I can ENJOY food again, like the thread title says, this was a major mistake.

Surgery date
    07/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jose Luis Curiel
    Last Activity
    11-21-2015 08:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 71 Times in 69 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 121 Times

Argos, I doubt that you have to wait a year for normalcy. I'm almost 3 months out & I feel like I can eat what I want in moderation. I love salad but it doesn't love me back. Maybe I should say I USE to love salad. Still, I keep trying. Keep hope alive & good luck, for sure.

BREAK EVERY CHAIN!!!

Name
    Connie
    Surgery date
    02/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kevin Krause
    Last Activity
    01-29-2015 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 619 Times

Your trying to push things too fast. This takes time. Your stomach is still healing at 5 weeks. At 5 weeks I was just starting back on solid foods. I am 7 months post-op and can pretty much eat anything. I have learned that MY stomach cannot handle breads, pizza dough or steak. If I eat these things I feel pain. Also if I try to eat more than my stomach can hold, I feel pain. As time goes on you will be able to eat more than 1 or 2 ounces but you have wait for your stomach to completely heal. This is the best decision I could have made for my health. I hope in time you will feel the same.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    09/03/2014
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

thanks Connie and everyone else for responding...

7 months and still in pain with breads etc....ouch. I also tried pizza, 3 bites not good, mozzarella does don't crumble, I'm trying different things too, see what works, but very frustrating.

Is there a factual time frame where your stomach will be healed? a year? 18 months?

Name
    Bebe
    Surgery date
    06/05/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Yen-Chung A. Lee, MD
    Last Activity
    06-23-2016 05:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries

Can I say, with brutal honesty.....your addicted to food.

i know because I am too. I have been vomiting, and I have been sick every time I eat something that is NOT pudding or a shake. I ate 2 scrambled eggs this morning and It took over an hour to feel better. If I eat carbs some days, I get sick and throw it up. There are days I can eat a pancake (once). Or a couple bites of something I really want. i had half a hot dog and it was great, it made my tummy queessy but it is what it is. I wasnt suppose to be eating it, so yea it made me feel bad.

I have had 3 oreos with milk.....could NOT have eaten any more, not for room sake but really, it was too much sugar. It doesn't taste the same.

I have days where I eat nothing I should. Greek yogurt, bites of a quarter pounder, no protein.....but then when I am done feeling like shit.....I get back on the wagon and do what I should. I wont sugar coat this for myself, it is what it is. My goal is NOT to be a size 2. I want to be a 12. I have lost 67 so far including before surgery weight and these last 2 weeks have been stressful and hard on me. I have not eaten well.....so I have not seen a change on the scale and I know why. I am not exercising or eating what I should.

I like you have mourned the fact that my relationship with food is over. But in mourning I realized, it was never healthy to begin with. Sure I love salads and veggies, but I love sugar too. You eventual get over what you can NOT eat and realize you can have a bite or two here and there once in a while. But you should also recognize as I have that I love grilled chicken. I love soups. But my BRIAN says a Hot dog is more filling or chips with guacamole would taste divine. it sure does, just not when it hits my sleeve.

I'm going to go to therapy about this....I think I have things to work out for it. but you need to see this for what it is, its an addiction and your in mourning. I also regretted this, not for any other reason then I could not eat what I thought I wanted,....but ask your self honestly as I did, is what your wanting good for you??? For me, the answer is NO. and thats why I got fat.

Cry and deal with it, but realize you saved your life when you did this. i did. no more high blood pressure and no more high blood sugar. i am glad I did it.....Im sad I cannot eat poor but really, its worth the pain I am going though now. Ill be alive in 10 years.

10. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Mr Li
    Last Activity
    07-02-2016 04:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 106 Times in 94 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

Well I'm 12 weeks out and (apart from the brutal lettuce ) can eat whatever I want, so I doubt very much you'll have to wait too long Try to relax and enjoy the ride (the more you stress about it, the longer it will take!) x

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

And I didn't say you will have to wait a year to enjoy food again, I just talked about what I personally can eat a year out, because you asked. I have seriously enjoyed food from the start, from three weeks when I got to start soft foods, up to six weeks when I could have all foods. There is nothing I can't eat. I have never been sick from eating. I enjoy food as much now as when I was obese, but now it's all the pleasure and none of the guilt. Not to mention I look and feel like a regular person. (Probably because I eat like a regular person.)

It sounds like your issue is pain with each little bite, you should really go see your doctor. Good luck!

Name
    Jane
    Surgery date
    09/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    11-14-2015 11:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,201 Times
    Blog Entries

Argos, put on your big kid underwear. The information contained on reputable websites and in books on sleeve surgery are very clear about what some of the experiences are and, if you read them, you must have missed it.

You can be angry, but that will not change where you are. You can blame everyone else, but I bet no one forced you to get on the operating table. Feel your feelings, but put your big kid underwear on first.

Gastric Sleeve Member Toopie2Seater's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    01-20-2015 11:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 92 Times
    Was Thanked 146 Times in 135 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 321 Times

Maybe it's just me......I didn't bother reading succes stories at all; I only looked for complaints and complications when I first began researching sleeve surgery. In one day I read more than I could handle about the very things you are mentioning here. I didn't want to hear how happy people were about sleeve surgery. I wanted to know what it took to get there, and many people have a rough recovery and adjustment period with tons of Buyer's Remorse. I pondered for a long time whether I was willing to accept all of the bads if they happened to me in order to change my life with WLS. It is a must to accept the good and the bad with this choice.

I hope that you can find your way through this, since obviously there is no going back, whether you feel misinformed or not. If you truly feel as though your bariatric team only painted a rainbow, glitter, and ponies picture, you can help many others by providing your perspective. In the meantime, those who took the time and responded to you have given you great advice. Please be patient with yourself.

Btw, I pray someone told you about stalls already, 'cause you really will be unhappy if / when that occurs, especially with how you are already feeling. Everything will work itself out. There are people on this forum who have been at death's door from serious complications after surgery. Read some of those posts and you'll realize how lucky you are to only be enduring a transitional period in order for your body to heal. Take care....

Surgery date
    09/03/2014
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

"I enjoy food as much now as when I was obese, but now it's all the pleasure and none of the guilt."

Everyone who believe's this statement please stand on their head!

From everything you read to support groups to talking to patients, you will NEVER enjoy food like you once did, and that is hard to imagine. Eating and sleeping are the only two requirements you need to live, to give one up to the extent that you are feeling ill most of the day so far has been a horrible ride.

There are other ways to lose weight, and yes, it's my fault for not attacking those avenues more, if my leg/knee were in better shape I would not have had surgery. I should have gotten the band not sleeve, it's too late.

I went to a support group recently, 20 people, all they did was say when they had surgery and how much they had lost, and then the room clapped, BUT I could see it in their face, they were not happy, one guy lost 184 lbs, looked thin and frail and could barely talk, it looked as though he hadn't had a good meal in a year, sad to see, another woman lost 85 pounds and said she cannot drink water it gives her heart-burn etc etc....

I'm not going to sugar coat this mistake and I certainly will not advise anyone to get what I had done.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Sorry you don't believe me, but it's true. Sorry you've had the surgery and are unhappy, but it can't be undone. (Hope you knew that ahead of time.) If you are feeling ill, see your doctor.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

I joined this forum in the fall of 2013 and was sleeved nine months later--in August 2014.

During that time, I educated myself about both the physical and mental transitions that can happen to patients, even if they don't have physical complications. I think I was adequately prepared for the surgery.

I was fortunate in that I had an excellent surgeon and a complication-free surgery. I'm having an easy recovery so far -- I'm going through the food phases on schedule (btw, I loved some of the pureed recipes and still eat them sometimes). At nearly 8 weeks post-op, I now eat 3-4 ounces at most meals, eat 60-80 grams of protein daily, and haven't thrown up once. I can drink water easily now.

Tonight for dinner, I had BBQ grilled salmon, spaghetti squash and sour cream. It was delish. This morning for breakfast, I had scrambled eggs (cooked with cottage cheese and cheddar cheese), toast with sugar-free orange marmalade, and coffee latte. EDIT: Actually, I had the coffee latte an hour or so before breakfast.

Your near-term future may well look like that, along with the enjoyment of food I experience.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Joe Poppa's Avatar
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Last Activity
    09-04-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 660 Times
    Was Thanked 525 Times in 357 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,023 Times
    Blog Entries

Argos, the gastric sleeve, just like losing one's virginity, can't be reversed.
    I believe you made the right decision. It may not appear to be that way right now, but in time, I hope you realize it.
    I won't kick you when you are down, you have every right to your own opinion, even if it is not favorable by most people.

Ann gave some very tasty recipe ideas. I am sure there are many of your favorites that you can have.
    Just introduce the new foods slowly.
    In time you should be able to enjoy most, if not all, of the foods you once did. Only in much smaller quantities, as a thin person.

Stay positive.

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast