Dr. Keith Boone
    Last Activity
    02-29-2016 07:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 31 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: This was a major mistake

I remember feeling the same way at about this time out. I think that there are others who also feel this way, initially. I have yet to meet anyone that continues to feel this way...This too shall pass - I wish you the best and I can't wait until you feel good about it - because you will!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/26/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lutfi
    Last Activity
    06-02-2017 04:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Argos,
    I feel your pain! Thanks so much for posting this. I was looking for this exact discussion and I'm finding it really helpful--minus the super negative name-callers and bossy pants (not the words I really want to use, but...). I've been in almost the same place as you. Eating for me is not so much painful as uncomfortable. But I don't want to be uncomfortable when I eat. The permanency of the procedure is what is scaring me into regret. However, I'm finding it helpful to hear others say that it will not always be this way. My doctor has a strict post-op plan: 2 wks liquid, 2 wks pureed, 2 wks soft and only then regular food, but only add one new thing at a time to see if it's tolerated. I guess I was assuming that by now...5 weeks out I would be able to eat more than just protein. I can't believe I'm craving green beans. I did the research too. I even have a friend who had bypass done a few years ago as a sounding board. She told me when I had a panic moment right before surgery that I would indeed bake again...eat 1 or 2 cookies or a couple slices of banana bread and give the rest away. I can live with that. She also told me that she can eat everything she did before except for one thing that upsets her stomach--I think it was avocado or something. My doc's staff told me that people often can only eat a few tablespoons at first, but eventually get back to being able to eat almost anything. I didn't believe that and like you, got into the mindset that it would always be this way. I'm not excited about the continued struggle, but because of many of the comments on here, I'm trusting that it will not always be a struggle. Hang in there and know that you are not alone. The struggle is real. The depression is real. Keep reaching out and pressing onward.
    "'Cause all it takes is a little reinvention." -Evan Hansen

Starting weight 398
    pre-op weight- 378
    1 month out- 355
    2 month out-
    3 month out-
    4 month out-
    5 month out-
    6 month out-
    7 month out-
    8 month out-
    9 month out-
    10 month out-
    11 month out-
    12 month out-

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Will4_26 View Post
    Argos,
    I feel your pain! Thanks so much for posting this. I was looking for this exact discussion and I'm finding it really helpful--minus the super negative name-callers and bossy pants (not the words I really want to use, but...). I've been in almost the same place as you. Eating for me is not so much painful as uncomfortable. But I don't want to be uncomfortable when I eat. The permanency of the procedure is what is scaring me into regret. However, I'm finding it helpful to hear others say that it will not always be this way. My doctor has a strict post-op plan: 2 wks liquid, 2 wks pureed, 2 wks soft and only then regular food, but only add one new thing at a time to see if it's tolerated. I guess I was assuming that by now...5 weeks out I would be able to eat more than just protein. I can't believe I'm craving green beans. I did the research too. I even have a friend who had bypass done a few years ago as a sounding board. She told me when I had a panic moment right before surgery that I would indeed bake again...eat 1 or 2 cookies or a couple slices of banana bread and give the rest away. I can live with that. She also told me that she can eat everything she did before except for one thing that upsets her stomach--I think it was avocado or something. My doc's staff told me that people often can only eat a few tablespoons at first, but eventually get back to being able to eat almost anything. I didn't believe that and like you, got into the mindset that it would always be this way. I'm not excited about the continued struggle, but because of many of the comments on here, I'm trusting that it will not always be a struggle. Hang in there and know that you are not alone. The struggle is real. The depression is real. Keep reaching out and pressing onward.
    FYI original post was in 2014 and wonder how many sandwiches she has eaten by now.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shirl View Post
    FYI original post was in 2014 and wonder how many sandwiches she has eaten by now.
    LOL!

Amen.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't understand how people who have "researched" the surgery had no idea that it would be difficult to eat in the beginning. I read this over and over. I knew the beginning I would be eating a bite or two and be full. I knew that I would have to "work" to get in my fluids and proteins. I guess some people just do more thorough research than others. At any rate, when someone is mourning food at 5 weeks I think that most likely this surgery is not going to work. You can and will eventually stretch your sleeve. So if you are mourning food you are going to keep pushing until you can eat what you used to. This surgery requires you to use your tool and to change your mindset. Yes, it is hard in the beginning. First off, it is surgery and it is permanent. Second off, they are removing a great deal of your stomach. Did you really think you would be eating big meals at 5 weeks post op? You have a baby stomach. Is it normal to question your decision when you don't feel your best? Absolutely! Just like when you go out and drink too much and have a hangover the next day. It is natural to question when you don't feel well. But the reality is this, you knew you were going into a life changing, life altering surgery. A new way of life. To no longer be the person that buffet owners dread. To be able to get down to a normal size. To be healthy. Yes. It is hard in the beginning. Yes, eating can take time and be uncomfortable. But it does get a little bit easier every day. You will eventually be able to eat. Your life is not over. I know this post is old, but anyone who is new and considering the sleeve needs to know all of it. Good, bad, and ugly. I am 7 months post op today and I have no regrets. I can eat small meals with no issues. I enjoy my food, just in smaller quantities. Even with the discomfort in the beginning, I am very THANKFUL that I took the plunge and got a sleeve. My life is infinitely better because of it.

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    I don't understand how people who have "researched" the surgery had no idea that it would be difficult to eat in the beginning. I read this over and over. I knew the beginning I would be eating a bite or two and be full. I knew that I would have to "work" to get in my fluids and proteins. I guess some people just do more thorough research than others. At any rate, when someone is mourning food at 5 weeks I think that most likely this surgery is not going to work. You can and will eventually stretch your sleeve. So if you are mourning food you are going to keep pushing until you can eat what you used to. This surgery requires you to use your tool and to change your mindset. Yes, it is hard in the beginning. First off, it is surgery and it is permanent. Second off, they are removing a great deal of your stomach. Did you really think you would be eating big meals at 5 weeks post op? You have a baby stomach. Is it normal to question your decision when you don't feel your best? Absolutely! Just like when you go out and drink too much and have a hangover the next day. It is natural to question when you don't feel well. But the reality is this, you knew you were going into a life changing, life altering surgery. A new way of life. To no longer be the person that buffet owners dread. To be able to get down to a normal size. To be healthy. Yes. It is hard in the beginning. Yes, eating can take time and be uncomfortable. But it does get a little bit easier every day. You will eventually be able to eat. Your life is not over. I know this post is old, but anyone who is new and considering the sleeve needs to know all of it. Good, bad, and ugly. I am 7 months post op today and I have no regrets. I can eat small meals with no issues. I enjoy my food, just in smaller quantities. Even with the discomfort in the beginning, I am very THANKFUL that I took the plunge and got a sleeve. My life is infinitely better because of it.
    Right! And for those not familiar with food (or alcohol/drug/gambling / you name it) addiction there is a saying among recovering addicts "Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results".

Eating or Food Mourning takes different stages, some can get on real quickly and on their own, some others like me needed to seek cognitive therapy help to deal with hindering attachments to food(s) or eating.

Some of us respond(ed) well to a dose of reality, maybe some tough love, others may meander, and yet others may take to the 11th hour to get it right, many never will. And I refuse to be the latter.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

"To no longer be the person that buffet owners dread." LOL Love that - thanks for the early morning chuckle!

But I agree then there are the ones that say their nutritionists and doctors don't have a clue what they're talking about and instructing them to do since it "contradicts" all of the "expert advice" they find online. Bleh! I remember when I had mine done I started researching everyone in Tijuana and here and the clinics and the various doctors mid April so I know exactly what I was getting into by the time I scheduled my surgery around Memorial day for late June 2012. It just cracks me up when I see the bashing of the place I went to and "OMG IT'S IN A STRIP MALL" Um yeah and if you had done any research at all the pictures of the clinic clearly showed that fact too. Would I go to the place I went again knowing what I know now? Probably not. But do I regret it? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post

Name
    Janice
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Boorse
    Last Activity
    01-14-2021 06:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 135 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 117 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 113 Times

I read your post and can only ask you why are you trying to eat all that food. The first few months is nothing like what your future holds. I don't want to lecture you but you should be eating very light things, liquids, soups (no noodles or heavy veggies or meats), yogurts, high protein cheerios, sugar free ice cups, you get the point. Everyone hates those darn protein shakes but they are necessary. I have found a product in the dairy aisle near the milk that is wonderful. Full of protein, takes just like chocolate milk and is low in sugar. Don't bother buying the 50 grams of protein, your body cannot metabolize that much at once. Stick with the 30 grams. If you can tolerate dairy this product is marvelous. I am three years out and just finished a roast beef sandwich, which means I had 1/2 serving bread, 2 oz meat and a dab of mayo. I didn't eat heavier foods until I was about 4 months out. The first time I tried ground beef I thought I would die. To this day there are some foods that are just not worth the discomfort. I used to love rice but it is no longer in my diet. Not worth it. Is your scale dropping?? Listen to your body right now. Don't try to eat things that don't feel good. It will come back, I promise.....and at that point you are going to wish it wouldn't lol. You will be able to eat almost everything you want but in much smaller quantities. We all miss what we used to eat sometimes, but we adjust to our new lifestyle and revel in the fact that we are feeling better and looking great. Hope this helps.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

2014, says it all! Probably a troll to begin with.

Gastric Sleeve Member belle69142's Avatar
    Name
    Belle
    Surgery date
    07/10/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-02-2022 01:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I can't get over how you think it's so awful.. I'm not even hungry..I have been following the after diet to a T. Next week I can add small chunks of fruit veggies and chicken.. If it's not working then I'll put it if another week.. I'm not even thinking about the future right now..I think you need to focus on now and also maybe get some psych help. I plan on talking to someone. May be the best thing for you instead of focusing on the now. Not a sandwich later..I actually find your post irritating and negative.. Sorry to be so blunt but we all deal with things differently and you might have wanted to talk to a psych before you had this done..

Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by belle69142 View Post
    I can't get over how you think it's so awful..
    This thread was started in 2014. The member who originally started this thread hasn't logged on since February 2015, so your blunt advice is very unlikely to ever reach her/him.

I still wonder how much weight the original poster (OP) has regained...

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

18. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Quote Originally Posted by belle69142 View Post
    I can't get over how you think it's so awful.. I'm not even hungry..I have been following the after diet to a T. Next week I can add small chunks of fruit veggies and chicken.. If it's not working then I'll put it if another week.. I'm not even thinking about the future right now..I think you need to focus on now and also maybe get some psych help. I plan on talking to someone. May be the best thing for you instead of focusing on the now. Not a sandwich later..I actually find your post irritating and negative.. Sorry to be so blunt but we all deal with things differently and you might have wanted to talk to a psych before you had this done..

Perhaps you should log a few years instead of a few weeks with your sleeve before you start giving anyone any advice. As I am fond of saying, the only thing you are qualified to give advice about is what size straw to use to sip your water and protein shakes......and after reading your advice to the OP, I am wondering if you are even qualified to give that advice.

One thing you are right about though, we all deal with things differently. You need to keep that in mind when you are corresponding directly with someone and giving them advice.

20. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    12-21-2018 09:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 774 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 169 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,104 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Argos View Post
    I'm 5 weeks post surgery, sleeve, and I hate this sooooo much, I'm thinking I made a super super colossal mistake.

They (surgeons, doctors) don't tell you what it will REALLY be like after surgery. They want you to lose weight, tell your friends and family, and not worry.

Well, if I had known that I would never ever eat a sandwich again, not enjoy food and suffer like I am or have read that others have too, I surely would not have done a sleeve, maybe a band, but it's too late now....and I am suffering.

Every time I eat, I feel pain, uncomfortable, stuck (no matter how small I cut everything into pieces), I am a very slow eater but it is a feeling as though I'm going to be sick, I have not vomited once...after 30 mins of trying to eat something, I'm ok. I feel fine if I don't eat, but I'm hungry and want to eat.

I've tried, fish, chicken, steak, fruits, veggies....if it's not liquid or soft stuff like we ate the first two weeks, I suffer, this is no fun, it is making me depressed, and the worst is going out to eat with family and friends.

I would not recommend this surgery to anyone.
    It will be ok! I felt that way at first also, but it gets better and it will stop hurting. Enjoy the restriction and weight loss for now, this too shall pass!

Gastric Sleeve Member americangrrl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/10/2016
    Surgeon
    Hernandez
    Last Activity
    10-18-2017 07:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 132 Times in 91 Posts

I'm sure I'll never get the answers to these questions since OP hasn't been on since 2015, buuuuut....I have to wonder a few things about this poster.... what was their starting weight, where did they have surgery.. what made them have the surgery to begin with if this is how they feel after only 5 weeks, exactly how much research was actually done prior to surgery, how much have they lost post op...do they still have the same opinions, and more.. but definitely curious where the surgery was performed .. I cannot imagine they would have been able to pass a psychological exam or would have gone thru all of the hoops insurances make u do prior to surgery... this had to have been an "out of US " surgery... It just makes me wonder how this came about if they are this unhappy... I do not know anyone who would be so unhappy at the prospect of losing a significant amount of weight just because they would no longer be able to gorge themselves .... just curious...

Gastric Sleeve Member americangrrl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/10/2016
    Surgeon
    Hernandez
    Last Activity
    10-18-2017 07:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 132 Times in 91 Posts

and also... Y would u want to go back to eating that way????. why did u have the surgery in the first place??? did u do it for urself, or someone else?? I'm thinking someone talked u into it..

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617