Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    05-18-2016 12:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 89 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Having a hard time getting your protein in? Eat protein ice cream!!!

Don't like protein shakes? Or having a hard time getting your protein in?

Eat ice cream and not feel guilty My mom bought this little individual ice cream maker from Lowe's and she makes protein ice cream, and as bad as that sounds for you, it is totally not bad for you. It is so crazy healthy. It has like 30-50g protein and very little carbs lol!! All you do is put 1 cup milk and 1 scoop protein, and if you just want a little extra flavor you can add flavored coffee creamer (the liquid kind you keep in the fridge). Takes like 10 minutes to make. Below is a blog that has gobs of different recipes for protein ice cream. The awesome thing is, you could practically live off of ice cream and STILL lose weight lol (not really, lol, but you get tons of protein).

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.bl...ice-cream.html
    (the mint chocolate chip makes my mouth water)

OH and btw, the ice cream doesn't taste weird like fake sugar, or vitamin-y. It is sooo good!!

Link for the ice cream maker: http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach...4916324&sr=8-1

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Charles
    Surgery date
    08/03/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Paul Macik,
    Last Activity
    06-18-2012 09:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Default Re: Having a hard time getting your protein in? Eat protein ice cream!!!

Oh how I wish there was a LOVE button for you. You're totally awesome!!!

I just purchased some Casein (slow digesting versus Whey which is quick digesting) Protein by ON Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor and it is terrible. The ice cream as well as making protein bars/cookies will help me find a way to tolerate this not so good tasting but good for you protein. Bless you!!!

Name
    Joy
    Surgery date
    07/19/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Joshua Roller
    Last Activity
    07-01-2012 04:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Default Re: Having a hard time getting your protein in? Eat protein ice cream!!!

Eggface has an amazing blog. She also has protein cake - cooked in microwave and TONS of other recipes and ideas. SHE ROCKS

Gastric Sleeve Member pbjwalnut's Avatar
    Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    07/28/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Janey Pratt
    Last Activity
    01-16-2013 04:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 47 Times

just be careful on to much protein at once......Mass General told me no more than 26 grams at a sitting as it can damge your kidney. Think I will look into making some ice cream though...sounds good !

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    mary ellen
    Surgery date
    04/27/2011
    Last Activity
    03-09-2013 04:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 60 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times
    Blog Entries

I just feel like I am eating all the time to get the protein in. It kinda gags you after awhile. Thanks for the input.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    09/30/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Dutson
    Last Activity
    02-15-2012 12:22 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Thanks for sharing. Love the idea of making our protien drinks into ice cream!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Name
    Chris
    Surgery date
    08/15/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Billy/Ventura, Calif.
    Last Activity
    08-01-2012 11:49 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

So who is using Isopure? I don't think that will taste good as an ice cream. What are you guy's using?

Gastric Sleeve Member blessedahf's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Surgery date
    09/19/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 89 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm not real sure. I haven't used Isopure.
    Here are some links to the ones I buy, and as protein shakes they tastes just like milkshakes. Or as ice cream, its amazing!!!

Syntrax Matrix 5.0 Protein Powder

Syntrax Nectar

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard Protein

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Judie
    Surgery date
    06/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-03-2015 09:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times
    Was Thanked 417 Times in 281 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 382 Times

Yeah her ice cream is awesome but it only tastes as good as the protein mix you use! I have made her smores and some girl scout mint cookie ones (using a few sugar free mint chocolate cookies...) yummy! I eat it in a cake cone too... its only 20 calories and 4g carbs, which I can live with, and I really enjoy it I only fill the cone to the top though, since by the time I eat that plus the ice cream I am stuffed !

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Gastric Sleeve Member blessedahf's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Surgery date
    09/19/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 89 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aylajane View Post
    Yeah her ice cream is awesome but it only tastes as good as the protein mix you use! I have made her smores and some girl scout mint cookie ones (using a few sugar free mint chocolate cookies...) yummy! I eat it in a cake cone too... its only 20 calories and 4g carbs, which I can live with, and I really enjoy it I only fill the cone to the top though, since by the time I eat that plus the ice cream I am stuffed !
    Girl, please tell me where you get the sugar free mint chocolate cookies at. I am a sucker for some mint chocolate chip. And you just eat it in a regular cake cone?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Judie
    Surgery date
    06/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times

I think most grocery chains have them and maybe walmart. I know I got them at my local Schnucks (midwest thing). http://www2.kelloggs.com/ProductDetail.aspx?id=5751 They have a link online for buying them locally. They really do taste like GS thin mint cookies to me! I think the trick at grocery stores is just finding them... for some reason the SF cookies are almost always on the top shelf at one end of the cookie aisle (I guess they think all diabetics are tall?? )

But be warned! Sugar free does not mean low calorie or low carb!! 4cookies =130 cal and 17g carbs. But I took those 4 cookies and crumbled them up in the batch of ice cream I made - which took me at least 6 different servings to eat... So it works out ok for me per serving - they added 22 calories and less than 3 carbs each time I ate my cone.

The S'Mores ice cream is good too - you use SF chocolate covered graham crackers and the toasted marshmallow flavor Toriani SF syrup in the ice cream... mmm...

I just use regular old Keebler ice cream cup cones - http://www.keebler.com/product-keebl...=other-goodies (or a generic at my store... depends on price). They are 15-20 cal and 4g carbs each. Sometimes I cant eat a whole one with the ice cream in it too! But I dont like just eating ice cream by itself, so this is worth it. I just make sure I cut back on carbs throughout the day or reserve 4-8g in my "budget" for that day. And I feel like I am really getting a treat - like going out for an ice cream sundae or something

Also, if you havent tried it, OMG I almost live on this stuff... Smuckers Sugar Free Strawberry Ice Cream Topping (Strawberry Topping | Ice Cream Toppings | Smucker's Products | Smucker's) ... 25 cal for 2 Tbsp and 9 carbs... One of my favorite snacks is 1 Tbsp extra crunchy peanut butter with 1 Tbsp of SF Strawberry topping (1/2 serving)...Just stir... Its like a PBJ sandwich and you dont miss the bread because the peanuts are so crunchy. All for about 100 calories, with a few grams protein and maybe 7g carbs. I mix up about 3-4 of these in little containers and put in the fridge to grab as needed for my lunch box or bedtime snack. Its just enough to quell the hunger and not stuff your little belly. I try not to eat more than one a day... but ummm... some days...

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Touliatos
    Last Activity
    03-13-2012 08:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered the ice cream maker. I'm excited to try it out.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Judie
    Surgery date
    06/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times

Oh - and for those of you who dont want to buy the ice cream maker (I did, but sometimes I am too lazy to get it out)... Here is another way to make it that just uses a blender (a good one though...). She doesnt add any protein powder though, and I am so inept in the kitchen I dont know what/how to adapt Eggface's recipe to do it this way (if you even need to change it??). So if someone works it out, please let me know!!!

Voluminous Vanilla Ice Cream