Thread: throwing up !!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-09-2011 09:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Exclamation throwing up !!!

i have had my gastric sleeve 3 weeks ago nd my doctor said i can start having soft rice nd pasta and canned fruits..ive tried having a boiled egg but it didnt last for long 10 min after eating i got the worst tummy ache and ended up throwing up... nd today i had some rice with fish but the same thing happened.. whats going on?? has anyone experienced the same thing?? am i supposed to eat smaller quantities??
    HELP!!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/25/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Audencio Alanis
    Last Activity
    07-13-2012 07:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: throwing up !!!

I am no expert but here are some thoughts based on everything i have read - Take it slow. Try one new food at a time (rather than multiple new foods in one meal so that you can determine which food you can tolerate and which you cant )and ensure that you are chewing your food at least 30 times before swallowing. If you dont tolerate a food one week, try it the next week. Try not to eat while distracted, such as in front of the tv so that you can pay attention to the food you eat, as you eat.

Name
    Rae
    Surgery date
    09/28/2011
    Surgeon
    Hoehn
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 212 Times in 192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 132 Times

I have read that rice and pasta swell in the stomach which could be why you are having stomach pain and finally causing you to vomit because of the pressure. I agree with eating slower and make sure to use a measuring spoon to measure out two tablespoons. I am getting dixie cups as they are three ounces and filling them 2/3rds of the way full so I can avoid seeing the empty plate with only "two bites" on it. Change happens outside of our comfort zone and until I can get comfortable with all of these changes I am taking away what was my "norm". My "norm" got me this large, my "new" is going to be "dixie meals".

Good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member stargater's Avatar
    Name
    nickie
    Surgery date
    03/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Mr Ahmed
    Last Activity
    04-16-2012 04:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 47 Times

sometimes with our new stomachs, foods we have eaten before we cannot eat for sometime afterwards. I had my op in March, before then i loved sandwiches, eggs peas and tomatoes. Now i can't eat any of them without throwing up. Our diets change so much when we have the sleeve done and yes we do miss some of the foods we loved before but can't eat now, but thats the price we pay for our weight loss. If certain foods make you sick or just give you tummy ache leave them out for a while then later on try them again and see if they have the same effect.

Gastric Sleeve Member frankcahall's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/21/2011
    Surgeon
    Curry
    Last Activity
    04-09-2012 04:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 80 Times
    Was Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

My surgeon has a struck no rice and no pasta rule!!! Protein protein protein is his mantra... I threw up like mad for the first 2.5 weeks after surgery. Then like a light switch getting turned off it stopped.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/03/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Scott Stowers
    Last Activity
    04-15-2012 04:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 68 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times

I was so excited my first day on soft foods to have a baked potato, and it made me sick as a dog. I had a couple of plums that tasted delicious, then one night had one and threw up everything that wasn't attached. And boy did I lose my taste for baked potatoes and plums. I don't think there's any way to predict what's going to settle well and what isn't.