Dr. Neal Church
    Last Activity
    05-20-2015 02:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 81 Times in 72 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 314 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why such high goal weights?

My goal weight of 285 that I show on my ticker was actually set by my surgeon. He stated that surgery should result in a loss of 60% of my excess body weight. I started at 452 and technically should weigh no more than 178 to be in a "normal" range. It's not realistic for me to think that I could ever get to a normal BMI. Even in my teen years when I played football and worked out 3-4 hours per day I was over 200. So why would I set a goal that would guarantee failure?

The fact is that my real goal was to get my life back. I set a goal to be able to get out and be able to enjoy life again. Since my surgery I have gone from being unable to walk to the end of the street to hiking in the Canadian Rockies, kayaking, canoeing, biking, and camping. I am able to fit in a seat at the movie theatre, get out in my yard and weed the flower bed, mow my own yard, and stain my own deck. I am living life again and loving it.

Shallow people are going to look at me and see a fat guy. When my weightloss journey reaches its destination I will still be obese and I am fine with that. The fact is I will continue to be out there living my life and enjoying myself and loving who I am. Those that only see fat will miss out on the chance to join in on the fun.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Lora
    Surgery date
    08/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-12-2016 10:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 128 Times in 79 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

Thanks for the compliment Toopie2Seater! As a heavy person all my life, I have spent a lot of time on my hair, my make-up, and my personality!! LOL. Maybe I can have the body to go with it all some day. Best to you in your journey.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

7/29/2014: 324 lbs
    8/29/2014: 305 lbs (surgery date)
    9/29/2014: 289 lbs
    10/29/2014: 281 lbs
    11/29/2014: 271 lbs
    12/29/2014: 263 lbs
    1/29/2015: 257 lbs
    2/28/2015: 250 lbs
    3/29/2015: 246 lbs
    4/29/2015: 239 lbs
    5/29/2015: 237 lbs
    6/29/2015: 232 lbs
    7/29/2015: 227 lbs
    8/29/2015: 225 lbs

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

I assume you didn't mean to be insulting but you were. I started in the 300plus range and when I hit the 180s... I wasn't "gross" I was estatic. I now weigh 140 but my life and fitness was pretty good in the 180s. Maybe you should wonder why you feel the need to judge others.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member llburbach's Avatar
    Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    07/08/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-16-2016 06:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 118 Times in 112 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 187 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Toopie2Seater View Post
    @LORAW, you are such a cutie and you have gorgeous hair! Some will go by pounds on the scale, others by clothing size. Personally, I'm happy when my thighs no longer have a meet & greet with every step I take! Lol! I think women especially, have that magic number in their minds where they felt at their best. For some that'll coincide with the chart recommendations, other times it will not. Even if I got down to my high school weight, my body is never going to look like it did at that original weight. I'd much prefer to even be 160 lbs with nicely sculpted lean muscles, than to be 118 lbs and have someone offer me a sandwich or rehab. Go with how you feel, how your overall health is, and adjust from there if need be.
    I can't stop laughing at your post!! Thank you for making my day.

Laura

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Kodi's Mom's Avatar
    Name
    Kathleen
    Surgery date
    04/01/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Liao
    Last Activity
    10-25-2017 06:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 89 Times
    Was Thanked 152 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 165 Times
    Blog Entries

I set my goal weight by figuring a loss of 70% of my excess weight. I am praying I get to that goal. I will still be in the obese category but I will be healthier than I have been in the last 20 years. Having been overweight/obese since the age of 4, I am not looking at becoming thin. I just want to be healthy and off meds and cpap as well as being able to get around without huffing and puffing and having to find a place to rest before moving again.
    I dealt with a lot of ridicule and snide, cruel remarks because of my weight so at this point in my life I really don't care what others perceive me to be. I will not let weight or bmi charts dictate how I feel about myself.
    If I have truly done everything to use my sleeve to get as healthy as I can be than I have succeeded. If I happen to get below my goal (which also happens to be my lowest adult weight) than that is icing on the cake. If not, I will enjoy what my life post-sleeve will offer me.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    08-03-2017 07:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 120 Times in 108 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

I think you should stop wherever you personally are comfortable.

Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    02/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Parrish
    Last Activity
    06-01-2015 12:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 97 Times in 94 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times
    Blog Entries

Not that it should really matter what anyone's goal weight is, there isn't nearly enough information posted on the average members signature line, ticker or bio to figure what a healthy weight/bmi should be.

I previous poster has hers at 175. It's right for her. Is she 5'1" or 5'8"? Big difference, right?

I set mine on my own, based on my body and past weight/history. I'm 5'6" ish, 43 and feel that is a healthy weight range for me. 140-150 is a healthy range.

Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-20-2024 01:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times
    Was Thanked 504 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 231 Times

I'm going to stop losing when I like what I see in the mirror. And that won't be long from now. Actually, I like what I see already, but want to be undeniable trim. I'm getting delightful advice from people: my son said I've had 5 kids and "be realistic" (what does that mean?) and my elderly neighbor said if I lose too much I'll get wrinkles. In the past, any input would have set me back. I just want to look great, no matter the number or clothing size. It just doesn't matter anymore. With my sleeve, I will succeed.

"Lee, by "own it!" your daughter means that you should be proud of your accomplishment and understand that you deserve this. Not because you have to pay it forward or backward to justify your own benefits. She means that this is YOUR accomplishment, and accomplishing that for yourself is enough. You do not have to fix everybody. And you do not owe anyone for the benefits you have earned. They are YOURS!" Ann2

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Denise
    Surgery date
    04/21/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Naik
    Said "Thanks" 300 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,048 Times

^^^Same here. I still dont like what i see but i do love all the things i could do.

4/21/14 day of surgery 231.5 lbs
    4/22/14 day after surgery 235.5 lbs

****1st goal 199 lbs **** 10/20/14

****2nd goal 175 lbs

****final goal 150 lbs

Name
    Terrie
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Quinones
    Last Activity
    04-02-2019 09:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 110 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Quote Originally Posted by rhill2901 View Post
    Good subject. My Dr told me to get down to 150. I think that is way too skinny, but he made allowances for muscle mass, and he would revise it as I increase my muscle mass. I am trying to have a slight ripped look, not sure if I want it to be sharp yet. I'm in the process of finding another doctor since I just moved, so I hope I find one compatible with me again.

My stomach is still a mess. I'm dropping weight, but my stomach is still being resistant to decreasing in size. The skin is firming also. My last Dr told me to wait 2 years before thinking about a tummy tuck. He said a whole lot more will be absorbed then I think. I'm in awe of the amount of skin that has disappeared... where did it go!!!!

Whats so cool is when I lay down, my stomach sits a good 4 inches below my chest Now If I can just freeze frame it when I sit up! lol
    150lbs??? OMG that is way too skinny. 165 is probably too skinny too. Not sure how tall you are but your weight sounds good. But that is just my opinion since I think a bit of meat on the bones is better than too skinny for a man.

Name
    Terrie
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Quinones
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Kindle View Post
    I don't think the number on the scale should matter at all. Who cares if the "chart" says you are overweight. Most people have this surgery to get healthy and feel better, not to look good. The former should be the goal, not the latter. If that's not the case, then the "haters" are right about calling WLS a cosmetic surgery, no different than a face lift or boob job.
    Sorry but I respectfully disagree with you. A lot of people who have this surgery do not have health issues related to obesity. If we didn`t do it
    to look better then why before and after pictures? You even have a picture of flexing And you look GREAT!. I have never seen anyone post their
    lab results for cholesterol or blood pressure readings before and after surgery. I am having my surgery to look better and for my health. Having high
    Blood pressure scares the hell out of me (second leading cause of kidney failure) but if there was no surgery I would have to figure out some way of
    getting it down and off meds. Does it matter if it is cosmetic or not? When we look like hell our quality of life suffers. For me I isolate and am not social as much. I get depressed because none of my clothes fit.
    It would be an interesting topic to get other`s opinions.

Name
    Terrie
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Quinones
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times

Quote Originally Posted by LORAW View Post
    My goal may seem high to you but it is the lowest weight I have ever been at since I was 16 years old. It is a weight where I feel comfortable and healthy. I have spent a good part of my life over 300 pounds. I hope you don't judge others negatively. I am also trying to be realistic in my expectations. thanks.
    Why would I be judging? We are all in the same boat. I could easily be 300lbs.Just asking the rationale.

Name
    Terrie
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Quinones
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times

Quote Originally Posted by rhill2901 View Post
    I agree with you, but 100 pounds down is the common weight loss with this surgery. Keep in mind some start at a larger amount then you have. 350 to 250 is a drastic change. Being under 200 sounds like a pipe dream starting from that kind of weight. I'm sure as they reach their initial goal, they will revise it again. My initial goal was 180, and I realized that dropping to 165 would be better once I've been at 180 for a while. You are stunning at 187, so it would be awesome to see you at your desired weight of 135
    Awwww so kind. I am starting to see what you and others are saying.

Name
    Terrie
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Quinones
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times

Quote Originally Posted by ScouterJim View Post
    My goal weight of 285 that I show on my ticker was actually set by my surgeon. He stated that surgery should result in a loss of 60% of my excess body weight. I started at 452 and technically should weigh no more than 178 to be in a "normal" range. It's not realistic for me to think that I could ever get to a normal BMI. Even in my teen years when I played football and worked out 3-4 hours per day I was over 200. So why would I set a goal that would guarantee failure?

The fact is that my real goal was to get my life back. I set a goal to be able to get out and be able to enjoy life again. Since my surgery I have gone from being unable to walk to the end of the street to hiking in the Canadian Rockies, kayaking, canoeing, biking, and camping. I am able to fit in a seat at the movie theatre, get out in my yard and weed the flower bed, mow my own yard, and stain my own deck. I am living life again and loving it.

Shallow people are going to look at me and see a fat guy. When my weightloss journey reaches its destination I will still be obese and I am fine with that. The fact is I will continue to be out there living my life and enjoying myself and loving who I am. Those that only see fat will miss out on the chance to join in on the fun.
    Hey fellow Calgarian. I agree with what you said but for example I didn`t start having problems with my blood pressure until I got over 180lbs.
    So (besides the fact that your weight loss is so drastic-congrats!! BTW) are you now at a healthy weight? If you remain at this weight is it going to be detrimental to your health as you get older?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast