08/19/2013
    Last Activity
    12-31-2015 08:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,432 Times
    Blog Entries

Default 18 days post tummy tuck&butt augmentation

I do not mean to scare anyone thinking of having plastics done. Please read with caution.

Well today I am 18 days post tummy and I am really hoping it gets better soon. I still have a hard time standing up straight. I am still in pain, not a ton of pain but enough to be a pain in the butt. My drains have all been removed. I have been running a fever since day one and my surgeon has not prescribed antibiotics. Yesterday my fever went from being in the 99-100 range to being over 101 all day and all night last night. I also had some pain along my incision and upper pubic area. I awoke this morning to soaking wet shorts, gauze and compression garment. I was terrified that the incision had come open or something in the night so I rushed to the bathroom. Thankfully it is not open but it is still draining a clear yellowish pinkish fluid which I have read is normal since there is not odor. I have very low energy and get dizzy when I stand up sometimes, which is getting really old. I have a spot on my back that the surgeon will be looking at tomorrow but I'm pretty sure its a pressure ulcer caused by laying the way the surgeon told me to due to the butt augmentation/tummy tuck combo. At this point I really and truly regret having plastic surgery! My recovery has been awful in my opinion and my surgeon is not as concerned as I am which is really bugging me. If I was given the chance to move the clock back...I would not have my tummy tuck done. I know that this may change in the next weeks if and when things get better but at this point I can't see that day coming.

Has anyone else that had a tummy tuck had any issues or at any point regretted your choice? Did things get better? Do you still regret it?
    I always wanted to be a certain number but after losing and have the skin removed I looked in the mirror and I realized I had hit my goal... I see healthy, beautiful, and happy! Numbers mean nothing to me...but self worth does and MAN AM I VALUABLE!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/19/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bradley Pierce
    Last Activity
    05-11-2020 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 128 Times
    Was Thanked 89 Times in 86 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 99 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 18 days post tummy tuck&butt augmentation

I hope you feel better soon. I had a friend that had the full body lift and it took them a long time to fully recover. You're talking about many scars in many places. I think it will take time.
    Height: 6'0"
    Shape: Apple (No Hips)
    Information Session: August 14, 2013

Gastric Sleeve Member Toopie2Seater's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    01-20-2015 11:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 92 Times
    Was Thanked 146 Times in 135 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 321 Times

My goodness. Of all of the things you said, one thing stands out. No antibiotics. Anytime a drainage device is left in place (or hardware for orthopedic procedures), a broad-spectrum antibiotic should be prescribed to prevent infections. Bacteria grow on indwelling devices of all kinds; it matters not what type of surgery it is. I am concerned for you. Plastic surgery is not easy but having actual pain 18 days out is not normal. Soarness yes, pain no. Fever from the first day and continuing nearing 3 weeks is not normal. I'm not sure where you read that having drainage like that so far out from surgery is normal, but it is not; you shouldn't even need bandages at all at this point, let alone that they are being soaked through with fluid of any kind. I'm giving you my opinion as someone who has had a tummy tuck, and as an RN with 15 yrs experience. Yes, you're going to feel like crap the first 2 weeks after surgery and have regrets; all perfectly normal, but the other things you mentioned are not acceptable. Please get some medical help. Best wishes to you and I'm sorry you're going through so much.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member acnichols's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/05/2014
    Surgeon
    Manuel Castro
    Last Activity
    01-16-2017 11:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times
    Blog Entries

My 20 years as a nurse screams out too. Your fever of over 101 screams concern to me as well. Drainage does not necessarily have to smell. It would be my recommendation to go see your doctor tomorrow! If your condition worsens go to quick care clinic or better yet the ER! You seriously do not want to lose control and get a bad surgical infection. I hope you take action. Toopie2seater has had some of the most precise and best advice to people on here as I have seen. To be honest thought she may be a doctor. I urge you to be careful. Good luck and god bless!

Name
    Terrie
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Quinones
    Last Activity
    04-02-2019 09:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 110 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Go to the ER! Fever,,,dizzy,,,leaking...go now!
    Terrie

Quote Originally Posted by Batmanswideisloosing View Post
    I do not mean to scare anyone thinking of having plastics done. Please read with caution.

Well today I am 18 days post tummy and I am really hoping it gets better soon. I still have a hard time standing up straight. I am still in pain, not a ton of pain but enough to be a pain in the butt. My drains have all been removed. I have been running a fever since day one and my surgeon has not prescribed antibiotics. Yesterday my fever went from being in the 99-100 range to being over 101 all day and all night last night. I also had some pain along my incision and upper pubic area. I awoke this morning to soaking wet shorts, gauze and compression garment. I was terrified that the incision had come open or something in the night so I rushed to the bathroom. Thankfully it is not open but it is still draining a clear yellowish pinkish fluid which I have read is normal since there is not odor. I have very low energy and get dizzy when I stand up sometimes, which is getting really old. I have a spot on my back that the surgeon will be looking at tomorrow but I'm pretty sure its a pressure ulcer caused by laying the way the surgeon told me to due to the butt augmentation/tummy tuck combo. At this point I really and truly regret having plastic surgery! My recovery has been awful in my opinion and my surgeon is not as concerned as I am which is really bugging me. If I was given the chance to move the clock back...I would not have my tummy tuck done. I know that this may change in the next weeks if and when things get better but at this point I can't see that day coming.

Has anyone else that had a tummy tuck had any issues or at any point regretted your choice? Did things get better? Do you still regret it?

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergio Quinones
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 37 Times in 36 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 81 Times

I had a tummy tuck a year ago and yes its painful but once it's healed you'll love the results. Unfortunately the swelling can last up to 6 months and is a real pain in the butt. Hang in there and you should be on antibiotics to avoid infection maybe ask your dr. Hope you feel better soon

Gastric Sleeve Member Batmanswifeislosing's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/19/2013
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you all for your comments. I will going to see my doctor tomorrow and will be demanding an antibiotic. I am taking this very seriously and wish that I could go to the ER however (and yes I know this sounds horrible) I cannot afford to go to the ER. I will continue to keep an eye on it today see him tomorrow and will update on here tomorrow as to what he says.
    I always wanted to be a certain number but after losing and have the skin removed I looked in the mirror and I realized I had hit my goal... I see healthy, beautiful, and happy! Numbers mean nothing to me...but self worth does and MAN AM I VALUABLE!

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 92 Times

I am so glad to hear that you will seek medical help tomorrow. They need to give you something really strong like Flagyl or Keflex and not a weaker med like Augmentin. I will be saying prayers for you to bounce back and soon it'll all be a distant memory.

@acnichols, thank you for the kind words. Obviously I haven't had surgery, but when I feel as though I can contribute something, I try to because everyone on this site has helped me to learn so much. I am truly grateful. Recently, a veteran (who shall remain nameless) commented that those of us who haven't had the VSG don't know what we're talking about and should not be handing out advice to others who have been sleeved. In part I agree with him, but with or without surgery, the human body is still the human body. I don't know a thing about being sleeved but I do understand how the body works and at times I feel like my words may help someone and ease their journey. So again, thank you. I'm not a doctor but I am in Grad school wrapping up my degree to become a Nurse Practitioner.

Name
    Kristen
    Surgery date
    06/18/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-09-2015 01:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 124 Times
    Was Thanked 251 Times in 218 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 185 Times
    Blog Entries

Glad you're going to the doc. I'm worried about you. Sending prayers. Let us know how it goes. Hugs!!!

Surgery date
    08/19/2013
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

Last night was better than the one before in that I did not wake up soaked in drainage fluid this morning. My fever subsided late yesterday after noon and has stayed at 99 or less without the help of tylenol for about 12-14 hours now. I am just waiting on the office to open and I am sure I will be the first call they get this morning. Also with the draining the pain seems to be subsiding as well as some of the redness around the area but I am still very concerned.

Toopie2Seater Thank you for the names of those antibiotics I be sure to get one of those. I have heard that most PS give you Keflex after such a major surgery and it seemed very odd to me that there was never anything sent home with me but I read on several other forums and websites (over 50) that it can be completely normal for them to pump you full of IV antibiotics post op and that that is why they don't give a home script for them.

I will post another update later today after I see the doctor and let you all know what happens. Thank you again for you words of encouragement, wisdom and concern.

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 92 Times

Hey, thanks for giving us an update and I'm so glad your night was slightly better. Yes, you're right to a degree. IV antibiotics are typically started right before surgery begins and that is done as a prophylactic measure. That dose is a 24 hour dose and if you get sent home without any medical devices in your body then it's normal not to be given a prescription for antibiotics. However, if any type of removeable medical device is left in place when you are sent home, antibiotics must be taken to prevent a raging infection; there are no exceptions to this rule. Indwelling device = antibiotics.

Surgery date
    08/19/2013
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Toopie2Seater View Post
    Hey, thanks for giving us an update and I'm so glad your night was slightly better. Yes, you're right to a degree. IV antibiotics are typically started right before surgery begins and that is done as a prophylactic measure. That dose is a 24 hour dose and if you get sent home without any medical devices in your body then it's normal not to be given a prescription for antibiotics. However, if any type of removeable medical device is left in place when you are sent home, antibiotics must be taken to prevent a raging infection; there are no exceptions to this rule. Indwelling device = antibiotics.

And I was sent home with 4 drains for 2 weeks

SMH

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

BWIL,

Thanks for posting your "better night" news. I worried about you.

I'm glad you're following up today with medicos.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Jules
    Surgery date
    03/19/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Matthew Baker
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 03:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 77 Times

I sure hope you get some relief when you go to the doctor. Good to hear you had a better night. I'm looking forward to reading your update. Take care and hope you're feeling better soon. J

Name
    Nakeshia Williams
    Surgery date
    03/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. F. Ayoola
    Last Activity
    12-31-2015 10:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 71 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,035 Times
    Blog Entries

Sorry that you are experiencing such horror.

8 month goal- 185 lbs (Conquered 11.5.2014, 12 days before I hit 8 months)
    12 month goal-175 lbs (Conquered 3.5.2014, 12 days before I hit 12 months)
    Final goal- 170 lbs. (2 lbs to this goal)

103 lbs lost... I ROCK!!!!!!!!!