Last Activity
    10-07-2014 03:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 22 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 132 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Hi everyone

Hi all,

My name is Erica, I was sleeved on July 30th of this year, so I'm right past a week out. I had the lap band back in 2012 and had it removed in 2013 for complications, I lost a total of 52lbs with it and quickly gained that plus some back. I decided to get sleeved shortly after having it removed. I am struggling much more than I thought I would. I did the clear liquid stage fine, but when it came time for shakes I couldn't tolerate any, I still am having trouble and my dietitian keeps saying it's trial and error and I understand, but I'm running out of money and also, I am not getting nearly enough nutrition - I feel it. I don't know what to do. Did anyone else have complications with the shakes after the surgery? I was fine on them before hand. Well, it's good to find a place where I can feel comfortable I hope to make a lot of friends here and have people to help me on my journey.

Erica.
    GOALS:
    First Goal: 199 ~ Take archery lessons
    Second Goal: 170 ~ Go paint balling
    Ideal Goal: 150 ~ Take a boxing class

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jose Luis Curiel
    Last Activity
    11-21-2015 08:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 71 Times in 69 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 121 Times

Default Re: Hi everyone

Welcome & Good luck, Erica. I also had no idea how expensive Bariatric products would be. I was thinking I would save so much. I guess the savings might come later when I can eat more variety. Lets keep hope alive on that one. Wishing you great success.

BREAK EVERY CHAIN!!!

Name
    Erica
    Surgery date
    07/30/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramon Rivera
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 22 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Fox View Post
    Welcome & Good luck, Erica. I also had no idea how expensive Bariatric products would be. I was thinking I would save so much. I guess the savings might come later when I can eat more variety. Lets keep hope alive on that one. Wishing you great success.
    yes, much more expensive than I thought. Did you have any issues with protein shakes? I'm so stuck on what I should do
    GOALS:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/11/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lopez
    Last Activity
    05-09-2015 10:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hi Erica! I had a Lap-Band in '07, had it removed with emergency complications 8 months later and got my band 1/10/14. I didn't know if I would ever put myself through weight loss surgery again. But it was the BEST decision I've ever made! I'm down 81 pounds!!! and I'm 14 lbs from goal!!! (226-144) I'am unbelievably happy. As far as the shakes go, I could ONLY drink the Optimum. Not the cheapest ones out there, but worth it if you are wasting $$ on ones you can't/won't drink. Do an internet search, if your Dr doesn't sell them. The Pure Protein from Costco aren't too bad before surgery, but I couldn't do them after. Go figure?! It is all trail and error but you will find one! Good luck and best wishes.

Name
    Erica
    Surgery date
    07/30/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramon Rivera
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 22 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by notlistnin View Post
    Hi Erica! I had a Lap-Band in '07, had it removed with emergency complications 8 months later and got my band 1/10/14. I didn't know if I would ever put myself through weight loss surgery again. But it was the BEST decision I've ever made! I'm down 81 pounds!!! and I'm 14 lbs from goal!!! (226-144) I'am unbelievably happy. As far as the shakes go, I could ONLY drink the Optimum. Not the cheapest ones out there, but worth it if you are wasting $$ on ones you can't/won't drink. Do an internet search, if your Dr doesn't sell them. The Pure Protein from Costco aren't too bad before surgery, but I couldn't do them after. Go figure?! It is all trail and error but you will find one! Good luck and best wishes.
    Thank you for your message, it makes me feel better knowing Im not the only one who was having troubles with the shakes and affording them. You're doing great by the way!! Keep it up! Good luck
    GOALS:

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Heather1979's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    08/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    09-06-2019 03:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 57 Times in 48 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi,

I'm sorry to here your struggling it's not nice , have you tried making your own drinks instead and adding a protein supplement? You can make a smoothie with smooth yoghurt, milk and protein or skimmed milk powder . Here in the uk we don't have protein shakes we have shakes called build up which have protein plus all other vitamins they are easy to get down and tasty you could try that. Have you tried a different brand and flavour? You may find your problems are due to the damage from the lap band . Try not too stress too much as it will make it worse , speak to your dietician and ask them for recipes it's still early days and your tummy is probably very angry at you at the moment and needs time to calm down .

Good luck
    Heather x

Weight at pre op - 266lbs
    Weight day of surgery - 257lbs

First target- 210lbs- Hit 29/10/2014
    Second Target - 179lbs-Hit 26/01/2015
    Third target- 166lbs-01/03/2015
    Final target - 147lbs- 28/06/2015
    All done in a total of 10 months and 22 days a total loss of 119lbs and I'm still loosing

9. Said thanks: