Surgeon
    Dr. Uchal
    Last Activity
    11-15-2014 02:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 227 Times

Default What a difference a year makes

I had surgery 1 year ago today. The biggest difference for me is in how I feel. I could speak of losing 18 inches from my waist, or the 170 lbs I've lost, or the fact that I'm on no more medications. Those all are great, but what I enjoy the most is how I feel. I can walk with ease, I don't know how else to describe this, but it is so much easier to just get up and walk. I have so much energy and what not. I'm not at goal, and know I'll never be in "onederland", kinda hard when you are 6'4" to get to there. The thing is, I feel great, and am starting to see myself as a small(er) person (if that makes sense).

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chebli
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 109 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What a difference a year makes

Cool another " Floridian" great job on all your mile stones...I think that's probably the hardest thing to get into our "bigger" brains is that we Weill feel better, higher energy and such but seeing ourselves for the way we were meant to be...smaller and healthier. It's great you're able to see yourself that way, I figure that will be my "a-ha" moment after my surgery and the changes start to happen for me too. Great job and keep it going you're an inspiration
    keep dreaming the dream and living the life!!!

Dana

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Wow, Jon! Congratulations to you!

If you're so inclined, would you be willing to write here about your "lessons learned" during your journey thus far and any advice you have for those just starting on this path?

Many thanks,

Ann

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Name
    Jon
    Surgery date
    07/31/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Uchal
    Last Activity
    11-15-2014 02:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 227 Times

I don't mind sharing my key lessons learned.

1. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet. I haven't felt like I was "dieting" post op. I eat what I eat, and thats it. My diet is not any different than my wife's or children's, I just eat less. I have a smaller bowl/plate, and I'm good with it.

2. The scale does not tell the whole story. Don't get caught up on watching that number fall. If you do, you are missing out on things to celebrate. I've had a few stalls now, and the thing is when my weight wasn't changing, my size was. My body would shrink during a stall. Don't feel down if you aren't losing weight, most likely you are losing inches.

3. Your body will choose which places it will shrink first. If it was up to me, I would have preferred my stomach and then legs. Instead, I lost inches basically from my head down. It was weird, but hey, it worked.

4. Don't let others determine when you reach goal. It's easy when you've lost a bunch, but haven't hit your goal, to quit. Others will say, hey you look great. You can't then think that you've arrived. My remedy was always to go look at my before pictures, and then look in the mirror (at the hanging skin) and think, do I want that re-filled?

5. Listen to what your body is telling you. I had blood clots post-op, one making it to my lungs. My Dr.'s when spoken to via phone told me to just relax, instead I listened to my body and went to the ER. It probably saved my life, listening to my body. I haven't experienced the hair loss, or the other weirdness some people speak of. But, listen to your body, it will help you.

6. Eat slowly, if you aren't sleeved yet know that this is a must. If you are sleeved, you already know...

-Jon

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Bombshell2Be's Avatar
    Name
    Erren
    Surgery date
    05/01/2013
    Surgeon
    John Gonzalez
    Last Activity
    05-04-2020 11:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 77 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 81 Times
    Blog Entries

Wow! You've done an amazing job! Congrats!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Emmers1974's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Surgery date
    05/28/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Northup
    Last Activity
    07-09-2015 02:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 69 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jon View Post

1. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet. I haven't felt like I was "dieting" post op. I eat what I eat, and thats it. My diet is not any different than my wife's or children's, I just eat less. I have a smaller bowl/plate, and I'm good with it.

2. The scale does not tell the whole story. Don't get caught up on watching that number fall. If you do, you are missing out on things to celebrate. I've had a few stalls now, and the thing is when my weight wasn't changing, my size was. My body would shrink during a stall. Don't feel down if you aren't losing weight, most likely you are losing inches.

3. Your body will choose which places it will shrink first. If it was up to me, I would have preferred my stomach and then legs. Instead, I lost inches basically from my head down. It was weird, but hey, it worked.

4. Don't let others determine when you reach goal. It's easy when you've lost a bunch, but haven't hit your goal, to quit. Others will say, hey you look great. You can't then think that you've arrived. My remedy was always to go look at my before pictures, and then look in the mirror (at the hanging skin) and think, do I want that re-filled?

5. Listen to what your body is telling you. I had blood clots post-op, one making it to my lungs. My Dr.'s when spoken to via phone told me to just relax, instead I listened to my body and went to the ER. It probably saved my life, listening to my body. I haven't experienced the hair loss, or the other weirdness some people speak of. But, listen to your body, it will help you.

6. Eat slowly, if you aren't sleeved yet know that this is a must. If you are sleeved, you already know...

-Jon
    Congratulations to you on your successes, what an inspiration you are! Of your key lessons #2 is the one that hit me yesterday....even when we stall we are still losing inches. My mind was playing tricks on me the last couple of weeks-that is tough-but I'm better now! Thank you for sharing your words of wisdom with us and god bless!!
    "The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step."

Height: 5'10
    Highest weight ever (Nov 2013): 343
    Day of surgery: 320
    1 year surgaversary: 224 and 70 inches gone

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

-Jon
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! This post is awesome.

I start my pre-op diet on Monday.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Jules
    Surgery date
    03/19/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Matthew Baker
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 03:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 77 Times

Congratulations Jon! Thank you for posting your key lessons learned, I can so relate to them. I also feel like I'm NOT dieting post-op - it is what my family eats, just less - it's my lifestyle! I couldn't be happier!
    Reason: misworded

Surgery date
    07/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Mr Li
    Last Activity
    07-02-2016 04:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 106 Times in 94 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

-Jon
    Congratulations Big Jon on your terrific achievement any many thanks for the great tips

Name
    Deb
    Surgery date
    03/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ismael Cabrera
    Last Activity
    10-29-2020 06:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 80 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 149 Times

Outstanding! Thanks so much, Jon, for sharing. You've reinforced what other veteran sleevers have been preaching at us it's good to know the advice is sound and consistent!!
    Congratulations on your progress so far - you've done awesome
    Be the change you wish to see in the world. (Not Gandhi's exact words, but close enough)

Gastric Sleeve Member Shirleybird's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-31-2015 03:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 56 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 98 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks so much!!! It really helps to here your views.

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Dr. Texiera
    Last Activity
    09-03-2014 01:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Congratulations and thank you for your lessons learned. I have not had my surgery yet and these really help me.

Gastric Sleeve Member catherine2's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr John Alverdy
    Last Activity
    07-05-2015 01:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 80 Times

Congratulations!!

Consult weight: 216lbs. Surgery weight: -11lbs ~205lbs. Current Weight: 148lbs.

1 Month weight: -19lbs ~ 186wt
    2 Months weight: -13lbs ~ 173wt
    3 Months weight: -4lbs ~ 169wt
    4 Months weight: -6lbs ~ 163wt
    5 Months Weight: -6lbs ~ 157wt
    6 Months Weight: -6lbs ~ 151 wt

Gastric Sleeve Member Cyndy-loo's Avatar
    Name
    Cyndy-loo
    Surgery date
    05/12/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-13-2018 08:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 78 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 252 Times
    Blog Entries

I get what you are saying. I can now walk without my thighs rubbing together. Congrats

Surgery date
    06/02/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr R Kelly
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Thanks so much. This has really helped!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast