charity
    Last Activity
    08-07-2014 09:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Beginning the Journey..I hope

So I guess we'll start with the obvious, my name is Charity. I'm 34 years old and I have struggled with my weight for over 10 years. I am just beginning the process of going through with this surgery. I have considered it a time or two but always backed away thinking I could do it on my own. Well i have finally realized I can not do it on my own. I need a tool to help me, a tool i have never used before and the best option I have researched at this point is the Gastric Sleeve.

I joined this site to research the prcedure, to get a good idea of what lies ahead. And for support because I fear that in my life I may not have as many supporters. I have mentioned this surgery to my husband but he baically rolled his eyes, see he has been here through all my ups and downs. I know he worries about the financial aspect of this, but if I can get him to sit down and talk it through I believe he will see that this is the best option for me. He loves me and will only wants what is best.

I fall into the 42-43 BMI range, I am 5ft 5.75 inches tall and range between 260-270lbs. I am a mother of two (15 years and 11yrs), I absolutely love my husband we will be celebrating 10 years of marriage this October (and we met on a blind date) I have struggled off and on with Hypothyroidism (The last time i talked to them they said I was borderline and had been all along so they stopped prescribing the meds...not sure if that wa s agreat idea) I will be going to my dr on August 7th to talk about my weight and I am getting bloodwork done so we can talk about my numbers. I know my cholestrol isn't great and I worry it may be at medicating levels at this point. But it has been awhile since I did any bloodwork. I also worry I have sleep apnea. I snore so bad my husband is now sleeping in one of the kids bedrooms more often then with me. (The snoring is only part of that issue/we work very different schedules too)

Let's see, my job as a Guest Service Manager at a local Zoo does not help with my aches and pains. MY knees and ankles are in bad shape, as is my back. I walk a lot at work (Only work April-Oct) and my body honestly feels like it is falling a part most days. I often cry my way home after the end of a particulatly busy day. I often just want to sleep and can not move after a day of work. My depression is coming on full force lately as well.

I have not considered this surgery lightly and I will continue to read and research everything I possibly can about this procedure.

If you amde it this far, thank you so much for listening and taking them time out of your day to take a tiny peek into my life and struggle.

Thanks,

Charity

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Kim Celebration,Fl. 2/7
    Last Activity
    05-11-2016 10:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 57 Times
    Was Thanked 275 Times in 247 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 435 Times

Default Re: Beginning the Journey..I hope

Welcome aboard.. This is just the place to get advice .support and encouragement .
    I am almost twice your age .II am almost 6 months postoperative down 50 lbs . This is the start of a new journey for you.Ibooe it all comes together smoothly for you!!!!!
    01/2013 information group 225. ,ht 5' 5". BMI. 37.5 ,01/30 /2014. Start pre op diet 218 lbs 2/7 .. Surgery. ..214. ..2/14...204. 03/1..206 ??.. March 6 (4 week check up 202lb. March. 8.. First goal . 199.4. BMI. 33.1. April1. .192.5. May 7. 188.6
    Jun 1. 178. BMI. 29.2. .reached a Goal.. No longer obese!!!? 7-01. ..174 , 08/1,..1965.. 08/7......14 months. 149...a normal BMI ...

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/08/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almonzo
    Last Activity
    11-03-2014 12:42 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 62 Times

Just wanted to encourage you.. I am getting mine done in Mexico on 8/9/14, there is also a payment plan if you need it. I figured I'm only gonna get older, and my aches and pains get worse. I am very excited,and have gotten immense information about what to expect from this web site and also u tube videos. So, chin up, and good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member Journey Tobeme's Avatar
    Name
    Journey
    Surgery date
    02/15/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Altamirano
    Last Activity
    02-11-2017 12:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 71 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome. I have Hashimoto and hypothyroid. I know the struggles we face. I am here is you ever want to vent.
    I will share this tidbit from my surgeon. For those of us with hypothyroidism this surgery is like a metabolic reboot. Our metabolisms are so slow. But this surgery for some reason acts like a reboot. He said if a hypo patient follows the post op diet they will keep that reboot going and their metabolism will stay strong. I hope that helps you because it was music to my ears.

Name
    Nathan
    Surgery date
    02/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Igal Breitman
    Last Activity
    10-06-2015 03:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 224 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 393 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to be encouraged and to learn. Check on your insurance and even if they deny you, you can appeal. Insurance is generally the cheapest way to have this done; some have zero out of pocket. I was not so lucky.

This really is a journey and you have to get to the breaking point before most of us will decide to go through with this. Mine was looking into the eyes of my one year old (at the time) and realizing that I would never run next to her (my feet hurt too much) and that all she would ever know is a fat unhealthy dad. That wasn't fair to her. I now run and ride my bike all over the place. I feel fantastic and wouldn't trade this journey for the world. It has had it's ups and downs, but it's been a blessing and I'm so thankful. That little girl is now two and all she will know is that she can't keep up with her daddy.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents