Surgery date
    09/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Rothchild
    Said "Thanks" 181 Times
    Was Thanked 530 Times in 430 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12,041 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Plastic surgery consult on 8/6, they want a list of how the skin affects my life

I was told by the receptionist that I should write out a list of the ways that the excess skin i have affects my life so I wanted to run it by you guys and see if it makes sense And it seemed like something to write on here instead of elsewhere. I have been trying to not let the skin affect me but lately its getting more and more bothersome.
    Physically my arm skin chafes and pinches and doesn't fit in my clothing with sleeves correctly and gets pinched in things or gets caught on things and i get bruises.
    The skin of my breasts has gotten so loose that when I lay down on my back they are under my armpits and often they spill out of my bra when i bend forward even at times popping out of my shirt.
    The skin of my abdomen pinches when i roll over in my sleep and wakes me up. It gets in the way and has gotten pinched in things like the seat belt buckle, and caught on things like door handles and leaves me with bruises. I get pimples, yeast, and boils in the skin folds and the excess skin around the middle pulls on my back and causes pain.
    The skin on my upper thighs chafes and gets yeast and pimples
    Emotionally: I have been overweight since pretty much since i can remember and to have come this far and lost 260 lbs is amazing but when i look in the mirror every day I don't see a fit healthy 30 year old body I see a stretched out 80 yr old body which is causing my mental state to get worse and worse because I feel like i did all this work to be left like this. I know I stretched my body and I did it to myself but I am terrified that seeing this skin every day and feeling worse and worse about myself because of it will send me back down a path i do not want to be on. For me the skin being so loose is almost an invitation to gain weight (kind of like holding onto "fat clothes") because with the excess skin I cannot see the weight i am gaining and i am simply filling out parts of my body that in my mind are already that way and I NEVER want to go there again. I feel like I am stuck day in and day out in a suit that is 10 sizes too big and there is nothing i can do to fix that on my own. I am tired of fighting skin infections from the skin folds rubbing and sweating i am tired of finding bruises on my skin where i got caught on the door knob or the railing of the stairs. I have worked so hard I have kept a consistent weight through almost 2 years and a pregnancy and I am reevaluating my diet and exercise regime to make sure I stay this way and never reach 200lbs again. I am trying to loose more weight and its is slowly happening but I have so much excess skin because of the amount of weight I have lost that I don't know what is a realistic goal for me to try to loose. I am ready to finish my transformation and finally free myself of my old demons and become the butterfly I know I can be!

I have tried to accept myself like this with all the skin but after all i have been though and done to change my life I am at a point that the skin is my last hurdle and i am not gonna stop trying to get there.
    "Its Not Hard Its Just New!"
    Transforming from caterpillar to butterfly to phoenix!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member bmiller140's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Bonnie
    Surgery date
    05/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chad Carlton
    Last Activity
    11-17-2014 11:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 163 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 99 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Plastic surgery consult on 8/6, they want a list of how the skin affects my life

I think you have done a good job of capturing the problems.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Plastic surgery consult on 8/6, they want a list of how the skin affects my life

1. Needs more fungus, rashes, secretions, yeast and other infections -- that require expensive prescriptions and OTC treatments, none of which really works.

2. Needs more unsanitary, itching, embarrassing, smells, secretions -- that require expensive prescriptions and OTC drugs, none of which really work.

3. Needs more about how these conditions start out as irritations but can rapidly turn (in your hot, moisty sticky part of the world) into worse maladies and attract additional infections.

4. Some of these icky things can be transmitted to others by contact, thereby leading to local outbreaks of all this nastiness within a family, working unit, even a small society.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Surgery date
    09/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Rothchild
    Said "Thanks" 181 Times
    Was Thanked 530 Times in 430 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12,041 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you Ann2 your feedback is why i needed to post this here i knew i needed to add things but when those things are cleared up for the moment (i got lucky so far this month) I tend to forget how nasty they can be and wasn't sure how to add it so you basically gave me questions to answer I greatly appreciate that.
    "Its Not Hard Its Just New!"
    Transforming from caterpillar to butterfly to phoenix!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/30/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marymor
    Last Activity
    06-01-2015 08:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times

I am in awe of you. You look fabulous! Thank you for posting this and keep us informed as to how your insurance works out with this one.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

ACE, you're welcome. You just gotta sell it!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member Kodi's Mom's Avatar
    Name
    Kathleen
    Surgery date
    04/01/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Liao
    Last Activity
    10-25-2017 06:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 89 Times
    Was Thanked 152 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 165 Times
    Blog Entries

Be careful emphasizing psychological issues, because if your insurance is like mine, this may cause you to be denied. My insurance specifically rules out psychological issues as a reason for plastics. Check your policy.

Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    08/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Hawasali
    Last Activity
    10-13-2014 07:31 AM
    Michigan by way of England, Mumbai, Cairo and Boston
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 440 Times in 415 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 829 Times

I think Ann is onto something. Insurance is more likely to cover plastic surgery (and some insurances do cover more than you might think) if you can prove you're medically better off from a monetary standpoint having the surgery once than doctors appointments and prescriptions. Emphasize the physical things that the surgery will fix. I know I'm planning to.

Name
    Eva
    Surgery date
    09/27/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. James Davidson
    Last Activity
    05-26-2015 10:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 232 Times
    Blog Entries

How did it go?

I lost 20 lbs on pre-op diet.
    The rest is post-op victory.