Surgeon
    Dr. Hawasli
    Last Activity
    12-10-2014 11:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Default Alcohol?

What were your alcohol consumption habits before and after surgery?

I love to have wine for happy hour but I have decided to stop drinking for now as I consider having surgery.

Is it the case that you can't drink once you have the sleeve? I have read somewhere that it is hard to drink because you get tipsy fast but I've also read that the alcohol calories are tough with the sleeve because they go right down...

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member girliegirl777's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Erika
    Surgery date
    09/25/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nguyen
    Last Activity
    09-28-2014 11:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 136 Times in 127 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 150 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Alcohol?

I am 10 months out and pretty close to where I want to be weight wise. I stopped drinking any alcohol a month or so before the surgery and didn't have any for six months after. I will occasionally order a cocktail or have a glass so wine now and it seems fine. I do notice a quick buzz, but it wears off just as quickly. I kind of look at it like ice cream or sweets. I'll have it occasionally and in moderation.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member catherine2's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr John Alverdy
    Last Activity
    07-05-2015 01:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 80 Times

I am having my surgery in three weeks, but I am pretty sure alcohol is one of my surgeon's biggest concerns because he went on and on about it because I don't drink any alcohol. (I did a little in college, but I just never had the taste for it so I have not had any alcohol in 20 years.) Since I don't drink he made a comment to me that one of his biggest concerns after surgery is a patient drinking for so many different reasons. You can get really drunk fast and off of very little, transferring addictions and that it is tons of empty sugar calories.

Consult weight: 216lbs. Surgery weight: -11lbs ~205lbs. Current Weight: 148lbs.

1 Month weight: -19lbs ~ 186wt
    2 Months weight: -13lbs ~ 173wt
    3 Months weight: -4lbs ~ 169wt
    4 Months weight: -6lbs ~ 163wt
    5 Months Weight: -6lbs ~ 157wt
    6 Months Weight: -6lbs ~ 151 wt

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/15/2014
    Surgeon
    David Tichansky, MD
    Last Activity
    06-20-2016 08:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 30 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Hi quest,

Empty calories and potential addiction transfer are the concerns. I'm a wine enthusiast, and had no intentions of giving that up permanently. Before my surgery I spoke with the nutritionist to make sure that, eventually, a half-glass to a glass of wine with a meal would be ok. It was.

I started the occasional half glass far too soon, but it hasn't impeded my weight loss. I only partake when I've been to the gym earlier that day and put in a hard workout, and have the calorie room at the end of the day. Probably once a week tops.

As with everything here, your mileage may vary. Alcohol after surgery isn't for everyone and there are certainly potential issues.

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Kristi
    Surgery date
    07/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr John Gonzalez Jr
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 110 Times
    Blog Entries

I had surgery about a year ago, and last Saturday I had my first alcoholic drink (white Russian). I admit and it's true that it does go "straight to your head". I was nursing that drink for most of the night, but it soon got watery so the potency wasn't that bad. But I didn't drink it all because it got warm and didn't taste as good as the first sip.

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member one4sailn's Avatar
    Name
    Jessica
    Surgery date
    03/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-11-2022 10:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 81 Times in 74 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

I was a very social drinker pre-op, and waited about 10 weeks post-op to have a glass of wine. (It was my 40th birthday, come on!!lol) I was so happy to learn that I handled the wine the same as I did pre-op. I have had the opposite effect with alcohol then what the major concern is...alcoholism. I used to overdo it on occasions, before. Now, having to watch my friends act silly with alcohol makes me wonder why anyone would do that?! LOL It's been very good for me to have cut back...I see things differently, and am annoyed by overindulging behaviors. Interesting to say the very least! I was the life of the party! Still am, just without the liquid courage.

I am not strict with myself, as far as "did I work out today" or "how many calories have I already consumed" etc. I monitor my protein and water intake, only. If I want a glass of wine, I simply pour or say, "well sure!" It's easy to over analyze life after this surgery. I did, and that's just my nature. But you have to relax and settle into it. It's a gigantic mind @*!% for the first 2 months, minimum...then it all gets "normal."

Sorry this is lengthy, just my experience.

Signed,

A reformed party girl

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

Preop there were weeks I'd have a glass of wine every night and share a bottle or occasionally more on a weekend with a friend. That's a lot of calories!!!! Post op I still enjoy a glass of wine. A. Glass. Usually not more than a couple times per week. I work the calories into my daily totals. I handle it like chocolate or any other treat. Moderation is key. I also tend to work out 5 X per week so I can eat what I like. I couldn't without that extra 600ish calories to throw around.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member rhill2901's Avatar
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 59 Times in 55 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times

Quote Originally Posted by one4sailn View Post
    I was a very social drinker pre-op, and waited about 10 weeks post-op to have a glass of wine. (It was my 40th birthday, come on!!lol) I was so happy to learn that I handled the wine the same as I did pre-op. I have had the opposite effect with alcohol then what the major concern is...alcoholism. I used to overdo it on occasions, before. Now, having to watch my friends act silly with alcohol makes me wonder why anyone would do that?! LOL It's been very good for me to have cut back...I see things differently, and am annoyed by overindulging behaviors. Interesting to say the very least! I was the life of the party! Still am, just without the liquid courage.

I am not strict with myself, as far as "did I work out today" or "how many calories have I already consumed" etc. I monitor my protein and water intake, only. If I want a glass of wine, I simply pour or say, "well sure!" It's easy to over analyze life after this surgery. I did, and that's just my nature. But you have to relax and settle into it. It's a gigantic mind @*!% for the first 2 months, minimum...then it all gets "normal."

Sorry this is lengthy, just my experience.

Signed,

A reformed party girl

Glad to see the improvements not only physically, but mentally, in more ways than one

Last Activity
    04-04-2018 04:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 52 Times
    Was Thanked 121 Times in 113 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 30 Times

My experience has been identical to one4sailin's. I used to be a very social drinker, getting buzzed from time to time and even drunk on rare occasion. After surgery, I drank a couple of sips at about 10 weeks. Then, at 3 months out, my hubs and I spent four days at Rocklahoma (a rock music festival) and I drank my version of vodka and cranberry drink (one shot of vodka mixed with 16 ounces of water and cranberry Mio). It was 60 calories, 0 carbs, and tastes great. I had 4 or 5 of those over the course of four days plus a beer(the carbonation felt fine). I made sure that I ran each morning to account for the excess calories, got all of my protein, and drank tons of water. And, I lived to tell the tale. That being said, I wouldn't do that on the regular, but I have no hold ups in indulging on occasion. Those occasions for me are going to be music festivals, vacation, and the occasional tailgating event. So, 5-8x per year on average. And, I have also had a couple of half-beers since then. I drink 4 ounces or so and give the rest to my hubs. Beer sits fine with me. For me, this does not present a challenge with either slowing my weight loss or creating an addiction. If that situation hints at changing for either one of those, I have zero problem in cutting alcohol out entirely. For me, it is an enjoyable drink/experience, and one that I will continue to indulge in AS LONG AS it doesn't get in the way of my bigger better more important experiences in life(losing weight, remaining addiction free from alcohol, being healthy, etc).

This is just my experience and your mileage may vary. Clearly, we all have unique reactions to and responses to alcohol, addictive propensities, and priorities.

Pre-op Diet Start Weight: 291
    Day of Surgery: 272 - 19 lbs on pre-op diet
    Month 1: 255 -17
    Month 2: 240 -15
    Month 3: 227 -13
    Month 4: 214 -13
    Month 5: 204 -10
    Month 6: 191 -13 100 POUNDS LOST!
    Month 7: 181 -10
    Month 8: 173 -8
    Month 9: 165 -8
    Month 10: 158 -7
    Month 11: 155 -3
    Month 12: 150 -5
    One year loss: -141

17. Said thanks:

Said "Thanks" 11 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jmw View Post
    My experience has been identical to one4sailin's. I used to be a very social drinker, getting buzzed from time to time and even drunk on rare occasion. After surgery, I drank a couple of sips at about 10 weeks. Then, at 3 months out, my hubs and I spent four days at Rocklahoma (a rock music festival) and I drank my version of vodka and cranberry drink (one shot of vodka mixed with 16 ounces of water and cranberry Mio). It was 60 calories, 0 carbs, and tastes great. I had 4 or 5 of those over the course of four days plus a beer(the carbonation felt fine). I made sure that I ran each morning to account for the excess calories, got all of my protein, and drank tons of water. And, I lived to tell the tale. That being said, I wouldn't do that on the regular, but I have no hold ups in indulging on occasion. Those occasions for me are going to be music festivals, vacation, and the occasional tailgating event. So, 5-8x per year on average. And, I have also had a couple of half-beers since then. I drink 4 ounces or so and give the rest to my hubs. Beer sits fine with me. For me, this does not present a challenge with either slowing my weight loss or creating an addiction. If that situation hints at changing for either one of those, I have zero problem in cutting alcohol out entirely. For me, it is an enjoyable drink/experience, and one that I will continue to indulge in AS LONG AS it doesn't get in the way of my bigger better more important experiences in life(losing weight, remaining addiction free from alcohol, being healthy, etc).

This is just my experience and your mileage may vary. Clearly, we all have unique reactions to and responses to alcohol, addictive propensities, and priorities.
    Same situation, same name ;P not the same woman :P or is it?

Last Activity
    04-04-2018 04:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 52 Times
    Was Thanked 121 Times in 113 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 30 Times

We'll (I'll???) never tell! Bwhahaha!

No, most awesome people are named Jessica.

Pre-op Diet Start Weight: 291
    Day of Surgery: 272 - 19 lbs on pre-op diet
    Month 1: 255 -17
    Month 2: 240 -15
    Month 3: 227 -13
    Month 4: 214 -13
    Month 5: 204 -10
    Month 6: 191 -13 100 POUNDS LOST!
    Month 7: 181 -10
    Month 8: 173 -8
    Month 9: 165 -8
    Month 10: 158 -7
    Month 11: 155 -3
    Month 12: 150 -5
    One year loss: -141

Said "Thanks" 11 Times

Oh you tease!!! I think I can only handle 1 Jessica at a time though!!! .

I think my head is bigger heh!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/27/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Singh
    Said "Thanks" 75 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 40 Times
    Blog Entries

So good to know one4sailn! I lOVE my dry red wine and I drink a glass or 2 daily. My drs were aware of this had had no problem with it until I decided to have the sleeve. Now I have until Wednesday to imbibe before giving it up for my 2-week preop diet. I was told no alcohol for a year. I turn 40 in Feb and like you, I think I'll deserve a glass of wine that day. lol

I'm not concerned with calories. I am switching from a lap band to a sleeve. I lost 100 pounds on the band before it slipped and I had all sorts of problems which caused weight gain and had to have it removed. I always added my wine to my calorie count first thing in the morning to make sure I didn't go over.