11/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hawasli
    Last Activity
    12-10-2014 11:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Default how did you decide which surgery to get? and how did you get family support?

I weigh 290 pounds and am 5'2. I have been trying to lose weight for 15 years and have successfully lost hundreds of pounds only to gain them back.

I am deciding between the sleeve (which my surgeon recommends) and gastric bypass (which my internist prefers). My surgeon prefers the surgery with fewer complications on average and my doctor prefers the surgery with higher average weight loss.

I am also working on convincing my husband to support the surgery. He loves me as I am and is afraid of the possible dangers of surgery. I currently don't have health problems aside from my obesity.

How did you all decide which surgery to get? And how did you convince your loved ones to support your decision?

Thanks!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    02/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Parrish
    Last Activity
    06-01-2015 12:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 97 Times in 94 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: how did you decide which surgery to get? and how did you get family support?

I researched each option, spoke with my PCP and surgeon, and we were all in agreement.

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    11/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hawasli
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times

Default Re: how did you decide which surgery to get? and how did you get family support?

Thanks for the reply! I'm strongly leaning towards the sleeve based on my research. My husband is not sure about me getting any surgery though, so I'm hoping to hear information that helped sway you

Gastric Sleeve Member Toopie2Seater's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    01-20-2015 11:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 92 Times
    Was Thanked 146 Times in 135 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 321 Times

Your answer will lie in what you are willing to deal with after surgery. For some, the idea of having most of their stomach cut out is horrifying (Gastric Sleeve). For others,the idea of having their intestines re-routed, having the majority of their stomach cut off, but left inside the body (Gastric Bypass) is equally horrifying. Each has its risks and complications. You are in the right place for support and information. Ultimately, the decision will be yours and your success with weight loss will also be yours. This is probably the most important decision you'll ever make regarding your health. I encourage you to read this forum and others until you are blue in the face......the good and the horror stories. Discuss your concerns and questions with your doctor and go from there. Best wishes to you and welcome to the site. There are a lot of really nice people here who can relate to you and your situation.

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Donald Schwab
    Last Activity
    06-13-2016 02:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 274 Times in 246 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,770 Times
    Blog Entries

LOTS AND LOTS of research. I researched WLS for about 4 or 5 years. Part of the reason was I was in denial of needing it and the other being I was scared to admit I needed help. Once the decision was made that I couldnt lose the weight on my own the rest was easy for me. I didnt like the prospect of having a device in me for the rest of my life or the maintanence of getting injections in the port so thar ruled out the Lap-band for me. So now the choice was left to the Sleeve or By-pass. Both have about the same results with the By-pass normally going a little faster at first. The by-pass comes with the possiblity of malnourishment during the course of your life. The sleeve doesnt re-route your digestion system. My surgeon put my mind at ease and finalized my decision when he said that the sleeve basically just makes our bodies run more effeciently. It essence it runs the same as before but has a smaller fuel tank so it has become more fuel efficient. After that I just had to convince my wife, which was not that hard to do once she talked with the surgeon. He was able to answer her questions and put her at ease. The rest is history. Godspeed on your journey.
    LIFE is NOT a Spectator SPORT!!

Highest weight ----343 lbs 2008
    First Consult weight--288 lbs 3/10/13
    Surgical weight ---266 lbs 5/10/13
    Lowest adult weight 237 lbs 12/03/13

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    11/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hawasli
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times

Having my husband talk to the surgeon is a great idea! I think the hardest thing to do before surgery will be to convince my husband.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/12/2014
    Surgeon
    Mr de beaux
    Last Activity
    06-24-2017 05:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 715 Times

I had looked at it for years but only really the band. I knew surgeon I wanted and read up on hospital into and then Xmas came and I forgot all about it. Then 2 months later my brother mentioned it to me as he knew someone who it really helped. Knowing I had his support drove me to going ahead. Only my brother abd his wife and my mother know in the family and one friend. I don't want others knowing as it's personal and no need - it's a tool I'm using - others go to weight watchers or try new drugs - mine is a smaller stomach!
    Good luck and once you meet with doctors you'll soon know what's best for you. X

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/21/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-07-2015 04:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 38 Times
    Blog Entries

In answer to your question about which surgery to get, I chose the gastric sleeve because I have a friend who had to done. She has family who had it done also. She's been a great support. I haven't told my children or my parents about my upcoming surgery. I do not want negative comments or worries. My husband is supportive of my decision and will come and be my support when I have the surgery on July 21/14. He understands how frustrated I feel each time I try a diet, work really hard to follow the diet, and not see any results. When I return home after my surgery I will tell my parents and children, because I don't want to worry them as to the reason I'm losing weight. They would probably think I was sick.

Gastric Sleeve Member ltlsqueak's Avatar
    Name
    Sherri
    Surgery date
    11/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kellum / VCU
    Last Activity
    08-10-2017 05:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 190 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,149 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi, I'm a member of this site and absolutely love the people and support I've found here. I'd decided to have the sleeve, however when I met with my surgeon he suggested the gastric bypass. He does both, but felt because of my health problems and the amount of weight I needed to lose, then I would benefit most from the bypass. The recovery, diet, etc are still the same. I'm so glad I made the decision I did. I have to run to work and I seldom come online because I'm so busy. I'd love to answer any questions that you might have. Feel free to email me at s_hutcheson@peoplepc.com if you'd like to talk with me further. Have a wonderful day and good luck as you venture out on this new journey!