Dr. Gould
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 08:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Considering plastics.......questions

Good Morning. I live in Southern New Hampshire about 40 minutes north of Boston. We have a few really great medical schools and teaching hospitals in the area. I am hoping to find out if students and/or teachers perform plastic surgery for a discounted rate. Does anyone know who I should contact at the Schools and/or hospitals to inquire?

I am now 11 months post op and have lost 113lbs. HW 289, CW 176. I am 12lbs away from my goal of 164. I am hoping to reach that goal at my 1 year surgiversary on August 26th.

I am hoping to maintain that waeight for 6 months and at my 18-24 month mark I am looking to have a neck lift, lower body lift (or just a tummy tuck depending on cost) and a breast lift and possible enhancement. Going outside of the US is not an option for me so I am trying to find out different ways to cut costs but not quality. Any suggestions?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member MrsDeLaCruz2020's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lauren D.
    Surgery date
    10/02/2013
    Surgeon
    Jaime Rivera
    Last Activity
    07-15-2017 11:43 AM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Re: Considering plastics.......questions

Your on the right path... just call them local schools and ask the person who answers. I'm sure you will get bumped around a bit but just be patient and you will find answers. And please, when you do, update us here because I am in the same boat. I lost 100 and am in need of a tummy tuck for sure!! I have heard others talking about plastic surgery schools so go for it. I did a paper last year on plastic surgery outside the US... you defiantly are smart for staying here. It's dangerous for sure. Although like i found by research in my paper and in life there is good and bad for everything.. but anyways. Keep us updated on the info you find. Blessing for you!

MY JOURNEY
    STARTED: 4/24/13- 268lbs.
    LOWEST WEIGHT: 6/25/14- 168lbs.
    GAINED 50 from 2014-2016
    STARTED AGAIN: 214- 9/27/16.
    GOAL: 175- TBA

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Laycock
    Said "Thanks" 84 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 69 Times

My understanding is that the way they learn is by participating in a surgery that is performed by a more experienced surgeon. If you find out otherwise though, I would love to hear about it. Good luck!

Name
    Felecia
    Surgery date
    04/16/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shin
    Last Activity
    09-17-2014 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

For surgery rotations, the student/resident goes in with a more experienced doctor and observes. Then, as a resident, they work with their supervising doctor on patients, then under direct supervision once they are skilled enough. I don't think they will do discounted rates because a student is participating in surgery -- and a student wouldn't be doing an entire surgery alone anyways -- they would just assist the doctor. Once they graduate, they become a resident, which is basically a doctor who still requires supervision. I'm not sure this is going to be a successful inquiry, and I don't mean this to be discouraging -- best wishes as you research this further!

Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

I work for a teaching hospital and residents assisted with my sleeve procedure, education and after care under the direction of my surgeon. There is no "discount" in fact as one of the premier research hospitals in the country, folks fly here from all over the world for cancer care they cannot get elsewhere and pay extra. I can't imagine that any other specialty, plastics included, operates any differently. I can't imagine you'd be safe in an unsupervised resident's hands anyway, depending on their experience level. They are still in training. I would think that a hospital that operated like that would be a bulls-eye for malpractice and it would never fly with the lawyers anyway.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member WayLessInNH's Avatar
    Name
    Terri
    Surgery date
    08/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gould
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 08:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries

The reason I am asking is that I know that Tufts dental school has discounted rates and/or sliding fee scale. I figured Tufts Medical might be the same way.

Here's to hoping.

I will let ya'll know what I find out.

9. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alex Gandsas
    Last Activity
    11-08-2015 08:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries

I live in Maryland. John's Hopkins runs a plastics clinic with fourth year residents doing the surgery. Go to the web page for John's Hopkins and there's a link.

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member MrsDeLaCruz2020's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren D.
    Surgery date
    10/02/2013
    Surgeon
    Jaime Rivera
    Last Activity
    07-15-2017 11:43 AM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

This is the page to watch... This is the John Hopkins that was mentioned above. It say check back in Jan, 2015. There is HOPE!
    Plastic Surgery Chief Resident Clinic | Johns Hopkins Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

MY JOURNEY
    STARTED: 4/24/13- 268lbs.
    LOWEST WEIGHT: 6/25/14- 168lbs.
    GAINED 50 from 2014-2016
    STARTED AGAIN: 214- 9/27/16.
    GOAL: 175- TBA

Name
    Terrie
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Quinones
    Last Activity
    04-02-2019 09:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 110 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Quote Originally Posted by WayLessInNH View Post
    Good Morning. I live in Southern New Hampshire about 40 minutes north of Boston. We have a few really great medical schools and teaching hospitals in the area. I am hoping to find out if students and/or teachers perform plastic surgery for a discounted rate. Does anyone know who I should contact at the Schools and/or hospitals to inquire?

I am now 11 months post op and have lost 113lbs. HW 289, CW 176. I am 12lbs away from my goal of 164. I am hoping to reach that goal at my 1 year surgiversary on August 26th.

I am hoping to maintain that waeight for 6 months and at my 18-24 month mark I am looking to have a neck lift, lower body lift (or just a tummy tuck depending on cost) and a breast lift and possible enhancement. Going outside of the US is not an option for me so I am trying to find out different ways to cut costs but not quality. Any suggestions?
    I want to dispel the myth that going to Mexico for surgery is dangerous. Look at my profile picture. Does my surgery look botched? I am 52 and have no makeup on in my picture. I had a brow lift, upper and lower eyes, face and neck lift, rhinoplasty (nose still swollen) dermabrasion to lip lines andfat transfer to the smile lines. I paid $9500. I am a RN and I know they used all the right procedures. I was safe. My surgeon lives (as some do) in San Diego and practices in Tijuana to keep his costs low. He had a practice in San Diego for years before moving to TJ. I had plastics years ago in Dallas Texas and the doctor was unsafe and "forgot" to put sutures in, so I had a gaping hole where there should have been about 10 sutures.So,,place isn't important, surgeon is. And if you are worried, stay 7-10 days like I did to make sure if there are any complications they will be taken care of. In the US I was put in a car while still groggy from anesthesia after a ton of lipo and breast aug. surgery. I hardly remember the ride home. In Mexico I had a daily, sometimes twice daily visit from the surgeon. When I needed different meds, the nurse called the surgeon and I got them.
    If you haven't been to Mexico for surgery you are spreading rumors based on horror stories, when there are just as many in the US and Canada. If you PM me I can give you the name of some respectable surgeons.