Surgeon
    Dr Umbach
    Last Activity
    07-19-2014 01:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Band again or sleeve?

I had my lap band (which I fought SO hard to get) on 7/7/09....I did amazing and I loved it! Back in December 2011 I had a horrible stomach bug and was so sick that I needed my band removed...my doc told me that since it was a complication and not a choice, my insurance will pay for another surgery, which I'm completely thankful for.

Now here's my dilemma....I loved my band...I still have my port. I know a few people who have had the sleeve and did amazing, but I know more who stopped losing and even started gaining. I know there are positives/negatives to every surgery...I guess I'm just wondering what the thoughts are from those of you who feel like I did....

Anyone who LOVED the band but is considering the sleeve?? Or who switched and either loves the sleeve OR switched and wishes they still had their band????

I have to tell you...right now I'm pretty set on getting my band back...just looking for some opinions

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Stephanie
    Surgery date
    08/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Ben-David
    Last Activity
    01-09-2015 09:50 PM
    Grew up in Miami Fl now in Gainesville Fl
    Said "Thanks" 301 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 155 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Band again or sleeve?

I went to two different surgeons and neither one is doing the band anymore. Their claim was they see better long term results and less complications with the Sleeve or the Ru-y Bypass vers Lap Band.. It also seems like there are several folks who have gotten the band taken out and had the Sleeve done. Good Luck with you choice

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel
    Last Activity
    10-29-2014 02:00 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I originally had the band and hated it. Constantly had pain and my port stuck out and and I bumped it all the time, it was so sensitive. Didn't have the weight loss I had hoped for. Fast fwd 4 years and had the sleeve done. I find it hard to maintain my weight now. I am glad I had it done. The only downside it the consistent diarrhea I have had. Lots of imodium and toilet tissue. lol

Name
    Nathan
    Surgery date
    02/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Igal Breitman
    Last Activity
    10-06-2015 03:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 224 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 393 Times
    Blog Entries

I was trying to get the band and the surgeon said he would do it, but he didn't want to. That I should get the bypass or the sleeve. This place is not the place to ask for an opinion about the band, we are all here because we didn't get the band. I think it's great that you did well on it, I know people that have done well on it, but it just wasn't for me. I needed a lifelong change..

I wish you the best of luck with either of your choices and this forum will still help you regardless of your choice.

Gastric Sleeve Member Tammy0827's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/09/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Shin
    Last Activity
    12-01-2014 01:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I had lap band in 2008 and also did very well at first then I developed a hernia due to excessive vomiting, never could get the band to the right adjustment so there were lots of dr appts to get fluid in and out as well as having a slip and a hole in my port both of which required surgery to repair. I have made the decision to have my band removed and the sleeve done and my surgery is tomorrow. My Dr has the hopes that he can do both procedures at the same time and I pray that he can. I look forward to being on the sleeved side and wish you well in whatever decision you make for yourself.

Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

You're much more likely to have long-term complications with the band than the sleeve (slipping, tearing, fusion with other organs). If you're happy to have a permanently smaller stomach, then the sleeve seems to be a better long-term solution. The research also shows superior weight loss with the sleeve than the band. I initially considered the band, then decided against it due to longer-term complication rates. Very happy with the sleeve - can't see any advantages at all to having the band.

Banned
    Name
    Ahmad
    Surgeon
    Dr Waleed Bukhari
    Last Activity
    01-30-2015 04:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 70 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 66 Times

I really dont encourage you to do the banding if you have history of weight regain. It shown in the recent studies that patients with banding have high chance for weight regain more than sleeve or bypass.

Surgery date
    07/21/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Guillermo Alvarez
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times
    Blog Entries

My husband and I both had the band and had them removed because of complications. Mine had attached to my liver. We bother puked every day of the years we had the band. My husband had the sleeve in Feb and has lost 63lbs. I'm having it done on the 21st. Hope you make the right choice for you.

Gastric Sleeve Member teddtlove's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Wegner
    Last Activity
    05-17-2015 10:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 92 Times
    Was Thanked 107 Times in 102 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times

As some others have said a lot of places won't do the band anymore. I think you should talk to your surgeon and see what he/she thinks. If it works for you that is great but remember that this will be a new bad and it may not work as well as the first. Also the sleeve would be new so you would not know how it would work. I went to my dr wanting the band. I could not have it because of other medical conditions and also he no longer did it but he said that you lose more weight on the sleeve. But you have to do what you feel is right. Some people prefer the band because it can be adjusted. I hope you are happy with any decision you make. I am happy to talk to you any time.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

A year ago, I investigated the band (because I'd heard of it). But I learned from my surgeon that he isn't doing them anymore -- because of complications and better results with VSG.

He has done thousands of WLSs and heads up the local bariatric center at a very large hospital system in a particularly fat part of the United States.

I'm very, very glad you haven't had any serious complications with the lapband.

BTW, you DO know (I hope) that the lapband was never designed to stay in the body forever? It is NOT a permanent solution.

If you haven't already done so, you should probably research the ongoing lapband litigation to understand how lapbands are now being used by surgeons (and not being used by them) and the new medical notices now being given to patients who opt for that tool.

Very, very best wishes to you.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member Barbie1978's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Umbach
    Last Activity
    07-19-2014 01:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I do plan on talking to my surgeon, but i'm going off of personal experience. I had NO problems with my band...I loved that it was adjustable, I lost weight easily, I wasnt' hungry, I didn't need a lot of fills/unfills...I was a success story. I have such a hard time believing that doctors are going back to doing bypass....its proven that most people with gastric bypass start regaining their weight 3 years post op....and ive seen it over and over. That's my fear with the sleeve. I've seen a lot of people get the sleeve and stop losing after 40-50 pounds...

I did a lot of research before getting the band and I choose it because it was reversible...because it was adjustable. I would hate to have a surgery with something "permanent" that ends up not working....and before anyone tells me that cant' happen, I've SEEN it... I've also seen ONE person who had the sleeve and she cant' gain weight...she went from a size 26 to a 0/2 . But even her doctor said that was a rarity.....that's why i'm on here getting all of your opinions!

THANK YOU EVERYONE for your responses! I still have some thinking to do and I appreciate these boards where people can talk freely. GOODLUCK on each of your journey's and I look forward to checking in to see everyone's successes!!