Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-03-2015 02:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Surgery scheduled

I scheduled my surgery July 25 with Dr. almanza. I am extremely nervous about scarring and what to eat before and after. Also concerned with being able to drink alcohol at parties after healing process. Any pointers would be great. Also if you have had surgery with Dr. Almanza does he go thru belly button.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Peachybroo's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-15-2015 07:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 317 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Surgery scheduled

Hi rzrgirl, I am 5 days post op and here are my experiences. The pre-op diet is EXTREMEMLY important. So follow that to the letter with the instructions they give you. Otherwise you may feel really crappy the first few days after your surgery (We saw some people have some serious struggles). During the pre-op diet you need to be on liquids. I did a protein shake for breakfast and lunch, a ton of water and other clear liquids in between and then a small (like 2oz) piece of baked chicken (no skin, no seasonings) for dinner. Then the last three days before my surgery I did nothing but liquids. Post-op I'm drinking water, apple juice, cranberry juice, soup broth, and popsicles for the most part. You will do clear liquids for at least a week and then still on regular liquids for another few weeks. My scars will be minimal. There are 5 total incisions and 4 of them are really small. The largest scar is centered on my abdomen about 5 inches above my belly button. All of your incisions will be higher than your belly button. As for drinking alcohol at parties you will have to be very careful and this is why. First off, you won't be able to drink alcohol for several weeks/months after your surgery anyway. Second, once you are cleared to do that you need to keep in mind that your stomach is really little, looks like a sausage casing and will only hold 6-8 oz. So it won't take much for you to be completely incapacitated. Hope that info is helpful. Good luck with your surgery.

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Kristen
    Surgery date
    06/18/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-09-2015 01:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 124 Times
    Was Thanked 251 Times in 218 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 185 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi there, Brook explained things very well. They give you instructions about what to eat, how to take care of stitches, lifting after surgery....follow them! If you have questions contact weightless agents, they have been great answering my questions very promptly.

I go on vacation in a few weeks and I'm disappointed that I can't drink wine then. Dr. A says 6 weeks until alcohol. But when I consider the big picture....the healing process and sustained weight loss....I'm okay with it. I'm not a huge drinker, but I really enjoy a nice glass of wine (or two) on the weekends. I'll be able to do that again, probably one small glass, eventually. But now I'm sticking to the plan and following it to a tee!

There's a forum here on recipes and food. Great ideas there on what to eat, pre and post op.

I blogged my surgery experience, so you may want to read that to know what to expect. I had a very positive experience and so far no regrets at all.

Best wishes to you!!

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Lady J
    Surgery date
    06/02/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-21-2016 12:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 69 Times

[LEFT]Hello,

First always do your research on something this important! Second.. Don't be nervous, I understand if you are, I was nervous and everything else.
    I went by myself, I met wonderful ladies! We walked, ( if you go walking please dont go by yourself) shopped, and talked together! (a driver takes you shopping at 2:30pm) it was great, some of the young ladies walked, I walked a day after my surgery (two miles) yeaa me! My favorite thing the hotel, its beautiful, the music at night bad! Don't forget when you get there ask for a couple of Popsicles, a jello, and coupons for broth.

I was scared about what to eat (Pre-op also Post-op) I did what they said, I lost weight not sure how much, to me it makes surgery easier.
    As for a drink, I do not drink please ask before you do it. This is a very important decision, it should be just as important to follow any and all Directions they give. We all had five incisions we were laying on the bed waiting for the nurse to change our bandages, it was funny! I thought My scares looked the worst, everyone kept saying there all the same, I did get scar soap, but did not use it, the four small incisions I did not cover, They were fine, they larger one I was always looking at now it's fine. Try if you can to get up and walk the halls in the hotel after surgery, very important!

Dr. Almanza was great, he spoke good English, I met him when I was going into surgery.... No he does not go into the belly button.
    My surgery went great! I would not change a thing! I did not like the plane ride back home! I said to myself... This is my time to shine! I CAN DO THIS!!

Take Care

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Patrice
    Surgery date
    03/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-05-2022 08:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 37 Times
    Blog Entries

Excellent advice ladies. I am learning so much from you guys.

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    07/25/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-03-2015 02:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Awesome, I have been reading people's blogs and you tube videos, which has helped me make the decision to go through with it. Last couple weeks I have bee eating whatever I wanted since I won't be able to after July 4. My pre op diet starts July 22 but I figured I would start cutting down carbs and start exercising after July 4