08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Pre-Surgery Fitness NSV - Slowly, but Surely

First, you should know I haven't been sleeved yet. The local bariatric center where I will be a patient is backed up like crazy. But I've gone through several hoops ... introductory lecture, psychiatric testing, interview and approval, full-day behavior changes class, and my first one-on-one appointment with the surgeon. So there's that.

But there's also this. Three months ago I was a complete mess, health and fitness-wise. Yes, we had a long, hard winter, but nonetheless I was laid out in my recliner -- working there, eating lunch there, napping there, and sometimes even sleeping there. And yes, my husband and I have a lovely king-sized bed and all that, but you know how it goes when you have ... given up. At least temporarily, eh?

Anyway, as I was saying, three months ago I realized I had to start moving. So I started counting my steps in the house. I will admit now that some days I didn't get above 1,000 steps. And for months it was hard -- my back hurt, my knees, feet and hips hurt. Needless to say, the dog was completely pissed at me, having given up on ever walking together outside.

Little by little, step by step, day by day, I've increased my daily steps to the point where, yesterday, my Fitbit (buy one!) sent me a 5,000 steps badge via email. Fireworks went off, lights blinked, thunder roared. LOL! Seriously, I was as thrilled as could be. I'm officially no longer a couch potato. And it only took three months that started with me walking twice around the living room.

And no, I'm not signing up for a 5K or a triathalon. I'm just going to keep plugging away.

In the last two weeks, I also lost 5 pounds. I haven't yet had appointments with the nutritionist or the exercise consultant -- those happen in July. But because my sufficiently high weight was recorded two weeks ago by the surgeon, I don't have to worry about that anymore.

In short, I don't want to wait until being sleeved before starting to lose weight and becoming more healthy. I figure surgery and recovery from that will be tough enough, so I'm working to minimize the discomfort.

P.S. Oh! And another NSV ... the dog loves me again.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/07/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stephen M. Clark
    Last Activity
    10-11-2021 01:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 48 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 31 Times

Default Re: Pre-Surgery Fitness NSV - Slowly, but Surely

I am thrilled to read that you are working on your issues and bad habits now and not waiting until your surgery. This is a lifelong commitment and the longer one decides not to commit to the process beyond jumping through the requirement hoops, the harder it is to stay resolved once you get sleeved (IMO). What you are doing now will give you a much needed head start. I went into my surgery nearly 30# lighter because I started my commitment the day of my initial consultation. I've come to believe that is 30# that I might still be struggling to lose.

Now that I am over 3 years into this new life and body, I can say with all honesty that it doesn't get easier in terms of making good choices that keep the weight off. I know numerous people who have gained all of their weight back because they went back to doing the stuff that got them fat in the first place. Not all at once, but often enough. I find myself struggling every day.

The sleeve may alter your relationship with food for a while, but eventually, as it all gets easier, the tendency to forget why we put ourselves through this happens.

I think that many of us start to resent the fact that we can't eat whatever whenever and we just get fed up and start doing what comes naturally to us. And unfortunately after a while our sleeve accommodates that.

So I think you are doing yourself a favor by tackling the issues now.
    Starting weight 06-06-11: 215 36.9 BMI
    Weight at Surgery 09-07-11: 188 32.3 BMI
    Current Weight as of 05-15-12: 135<-- As of 145lbs No longer overweight!
    Goal: 120 <-- Ideal weight 20.6 BMI

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/15/2015
    Surgeon
    James Wooldridge Jr
    Last Activity
    07-06-2014 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

Default Re: Pre-Surgery Fitness NSV - Slowly, but Surely

I am doing the samething expect I am also changing my eating habits. I went to my dietitian and she's got me weening off soild food to liquid in 5mo. She also has me crushing all my pills I have to take, and it is major gross, it makes me want to throw-up. But I say to myself I will be all worth it and I have skinne jeans to fit in too I have hanging up where I can see them.