Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    09-25-2018 12:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

Question Caffeine

For those of you who had to cut down or cut out caffeine, how did you feel afterwards? What made it easier to transition off of the caffeine? Right now, I have in front of me 1 mug (not cup) of coffee (the mug holds 2 k-cup, or approximately 1 and a 1/2 cups) and large glass of tea (holds about 4 cups of tea). I make my tea by using five tea bags and a 4 cup pyrex of water. That goes into a pitcher (1 ltr I guess) with the rest being water. I know that my nut told me that I would have to cut down on my caffeine intake. Told me that the tea will only count 1/2 towards my liquid. If I drink 64 oz of tea, it only counts as 32 oz. But things like Crystal Light, Vitamin Water count towards liquid. She also said that I couldn't have more than 16 oz of coffee a day (EEK!!!). How have you guys handled the caffeine issue?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Vickey
    Surgery date
    07/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Patel
    Last Activity
    07-10-2014 02:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Caffeine

I love to drink coffee in the morning also. So in preparation for my upcoming date, 7/17/14, I went to decaf. I believe we can drink decaf with the sleeve. Since you drink so much of it, I would try 1 kcup caf and 1 kcup decaf for a week and then switch totally to decaf. Sometimes it a mind game to change habits. Good luck.

Name
    Mike
    Surgery date
    05/28/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Moon
    Last Activity
    02-04-2017 06:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,694 Times

Caffeine can actually dehydrate you that's why it only counts as half of what you drink. Caffeine also slows the healing process of the sleeve so I quit all caffeinated beverages. First 3-4 days suck but afterwards you dont notice anything and you no longer crave those drinks. Not too bad at all just to quote I promise. Best of wishes to you.
    Mike

Beginning- 304
    Day of surgery - 292
    1st goal - 260 6/8/2014
    2nd goal - 240 7/20/2014
    3rd goal - 220 8/30/2014
    4th goal - 200 10/29/2014
    5th goal - 180

Name
    ammie
    Surgery date
    05/28/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Russell Van Husen
    Last Activity
    07-01-2015 03:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 181 Times
    Blog Entries

I had to give up caffeine....it dehydrates you and stimulates hunger. I only drank 1 cup a day so it hasnt been bad. I still drink decafinated ice tea my tummy loves it! I tried decaf coffee but it seem to make me full before I could eat my breakfast.

Gastric Sleeve Member bmiller140's Avatar
    Name
    Bonnie
    Surgery date
    05/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chad Carlton
    Last Activity
    11-17-2014 11:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 163 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 99 Times
    Blog Entries

I weaned myself off of caffeine slowly to avoid the headaches. I suggest you start now. That is alot of caffeine to leave behind. But you want to start soon.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Nathan
    Surgery date
    02/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Igal Breitman
    Last Activity
    10-06-2015 03:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 224 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 393 Times
    Blog Entries

Everyone has a different opinion about this, so here is my take. The latest research shows that it does little to dehydrate you and even will help you move more (energy) and will help you process carbs better. Caffeine is not bad in moderation.

I drink it daily and I also chew Zoom chews that have B12 and caffeine in them. I have never been remotely dehydrated and I ride a bike often and for hours.

Ask ten doctors about this and you will get twelve answers. Some sleevers will tell you that the first thing they were brought in the hospital to drink was coffee, again, in the hospital.

For the first three weeks, the only way that I could stay awake was with caffeine, it helped me so much. I'm all for following the doctor and NUT when you first start, but at some point you have to step out and make this whole process your own. Preferably after surgery and after you are lost a little weight. They are your training wheels.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

I actually have something to offer from my own experience.

In preparation for surgery, I'm cutting down on my caffeine -- slowly but surely. I've gone from 2-3 cups in the morning to (gasp!) half a cup. It's taken 2-3 weeks. As I've cut back on the coffee, I've added skim milk. So the volume is the same, but the protein has gone up (without any fat).

The big surprise? I have had ZERO caffeine withdrawal headaches.

Big protip: Try out the Mio flavorings for water. My faves (by far) are the peach and the peach tea ones. Doesn't take much at all to make the water more interesting. Even one squirt helps.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Surgery date
    11/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ihor Fedorak
    Last Activity
    11-07-2014 02:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

First the nutritionists and surgeons all disagree as to what is liquid. Mine told me all of it counts no matter what form it takes, including protein shakes; however, they did tell me to keep the caffeine to a minimum. I actually cut out caffeine about two months before surgery and I did it gradually. First I cut from 2 cups of coffee to 1 cup of coffee a day. Then I cut my iced tea down. Instead of black tea, I began making herbal teas. My favorite is Tazo (Starbuck's) Passion tea. Then I changed my 1 cup of coffee to 1 cup of hot tea in the morning, and finally dropped from hot black tea (caffeinated) to hot herbal tea (no caffeine). After surgery, I continued the hot herbal teas pretty much every hour I was awake because hot liquids work much better for me than cold ones. Then at about 3 months I started doing 1 cup of black tea, eventually moving to add decaf coffee. Now at 7 months, I don't pay much attention to the caffeine itself except to balance my liquids because I don't need all the carbs from my soy creamer in my coffee.

Gastric Sleeve Member anglzkissed79's Avatar
    Name
    Helen
    Surgery date
    06/27/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    09-25-2018 12:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. I'm trying to remind myself that this is a process and I'm taking the right steps towards conquering my battle with food and my weight

Name
    "Lea" (nickname)
    Surgery date
    06/25/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Treen
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 139 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,434 Times

Myth: Coffee dehydrates you.
    Fact: Only if you overdo it. While caffeine is dehydrating, the water in coffee (and tea, for that matter) more than makes up for the effects, ultimately leaving you more hydrated than you were, pre-java. Consuming 500 or more milligrams of caffeine a day -- anywhere from around three to five cups of coffee -- could put you at risk for dehydration, Mayo Clinic nutritionist Katherine Zeratsky, RD.

One of the negatives I've heard over and over again about drinking coffee is the dehydrating effect it can have. And I have to say that when I first started drinking coffee a couple years ago, I definitely noticed that I felt dehydrated after drinking coffee, and got in the habit of drinking water soon afterwards because of it.

But it turns out that your body, being the adaptable miracle that is, can actually adjust to coffee when consumed regularly, and it will no longer have a diuretic effect. This is an interesting feat of the body, and explains how some people can survive while drinking coffee for much of their liquid needs.

In one study, 50 men who previous to the study had the habit of drinking three to six cups of coffee a day, went through two stages of trials. In the first part of the study, they were given coffee to drink (with controlled caffeine amounts). In the second part of the study they were given water. During both parts of the study, any other factors that could also influence their hydration levels were monitored. It turns out that markers of hydration were the same for both parts of the study. In other words, coffee was just as hydrating as water for them.

I found out to my surprise that it has been long known by scientists that the body has the ability to adapt to coffee, but that information has taken a lot longer to get out to the masses. It’s certainly helpful information to know!

There remains some controversy still over coffee drinking, with concerns over its somewhat addicting properties, and the fact that it can make a lot of people jittery or affect their sleep, yet there are also many studies showing many health benefits to it. Possible benefits include everything from keeping liver disease at bay, helping you live longer, and even helping prevent diabetes and cancer, to point out just a few.

Before my surgery I didn't like coffee and would only drink iced coffee. Now I drink 4-6 cups a day and when I work night shift even more.. I love my Keurig!! Sorry but I think the whole coffee thing is BS. Read the latest study above. Look at me I've lost over a hundred pounds drinking coffee. But we all have to decide what we want to put in our bodies.
    IT'S BEEN ALMOST TEN YEARS NOW SINCE MY SURGERY. AND IM STILL GOING STRONG!!!!!!

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/17/2014
    Surgeon
    James B Wooldridge Jr
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 72 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 131 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RRT View Post
    Myth: Coffee dehydrates you.
    Fact: Only if you overdo it. While caffeine is dehydrating, the water in coffee (and tea, for that matter) more than makes up for the effects, ultimately leaving you more hydrated than you were, pre-java. Consuming 500 or more milligrams of caffeine a day -- anywhere from around three to five cups of coffee -- could put you at risk for dehydration, Mayo Clinic nutritionist Katherine Zeratsky, RD.

One of the negatives I've heard over and over again about drinking coffee is the dehydrating effect it can have. And I have to say that when I first started drinking coffee a couple years ago, I definitely noticed that I felt dehydrated after drinking coffee, and got in the habit of drinking water soon afterwards because of it.

But it turns out that your body, being the adaptable miracle that is, can actually adjust to coffee when consumed regularly, and it will no longer have a diuretic effect. This is an interesting feat of the body, and explains how some people can survive while drinking coffee for much of their liquid needs.

In one study, 50 men who previous to the study had the habit of drinking three to six cups of coffee a day, went through two stages of trials. In the first part of the study, they were given coffee to drink (with controlled caffeine amounts). In the second part of the study they were given water. During both parts of the study, any other factors that could also influence their hydration levels were monitored. It turns out that markers of hydration were the same for both parts of the study. In other words, coffee was just as hydrating as water for them.

I found out to my surprise that it has been long known by scientists that the body has the ability to adapt to coffee, but that information has taken a lot longer to get out to the masses. It’s certainly helpful information to know!

There remains some controversy still over coffee drinking, with concerns over its somewhat addicting properties, and the fact that it can make a lot of people jittery or affect their sleep, yet there are also many studies showing many health benefits to it. Possible benefits include everything from keeping liver disease at bay, helping you live longer, and even helping prevent diabetes and cancer, to point out just a few.

Before my surgery I didn't like coffee and would only drink iced coffee. Now I drink 4-6 cups a day and when I work night shift even more.. I love my Keurig!! Sorry but I think the whole coffee thing is BS. Read the latest study above. Look at me I've lost over a hundred pounds drinking coffee. But we all have to decide what we want to put in our bodies.
    Thank you for this. I also wanted to add I drink tea daily. Black tea, green tea, white tea, herbal tea (which is caffeine free) and it's a huge part of my liquid intake because I make small pots of the tea that equates to around 4 8oz servings per pot. The usual side effects for caffeine have abandoned me years ago (I was a coffee drinker before tea) but I can say that there have never been times when I've become dehydrated or, on the lesser end of the scale, thirsty after drinking tea. As for the diuretic effect, I pee no more or less drinking a couple pots (aka 4-8 cups of tea) every day than if I drank that much in just water, because I can drink up to 144oz of liquid a day simply because I have to due to medication that requires lots of liquid intake.

like RRT said, your body adapts to the caffeine so that things like the jitters and trouble sleeping and going to the bathroom every hour eventually go away. Caffeine's not an enemy. Now if your surgeon says stay away from caffeine for a while after surgery, obey that. Some don't get told that. And there is NO proof (that I could find) that caffeine slows down the healing process of your surgery. My mother had a double bypass surgery on her heart some years ago and the first thing they served her after surgery was regular old iced tea. The day after, coffee. Being that heart surgery is just as major as the sleeve you would think if caffeine indeed had that effect, they wouldn't serve it to a recovering patient.