Dr.Scott Stowers
    Last Activity
    01-15-2024 06:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Red face New here - 15 days out!

Hi Everybody!

Just wanted to introduce myself, I'm so glad I found this site! My name is Shelbi, I am a mother, wife, and photographer. I have three beautiful little girls, and an amazingly supportive husband!
    I am 15 days post surgery. It has definitely been a roller coaster ride. Most days I think to myself "what have I done!?!?" Thank God the scale is going down because this has been so tough!
    My highest weight was 305, I weighed 287 the day of surgery, after one week of the liquid pre-op diet. As of today I was 268, yay! I am 4lbs from what I weighed when I got married 3 years ago! One set of twins and another little one within 3 years really did a number on my body, and weight! I all but gave up that I would ever lose anything. I can't wait to see how well this is going to work for me!
    Today starts week three for me and I am supposed to start trying soft mushy foods, and really soft cooked foods. One of the things on my list was thinly sliced lunch meat such as turkey or chicken. I ate one piece, chewed chewed chewed until it was mush and I thought it went really well. Then about 5 minutes later I had to go throw it up. I know I am still very early out but PLEASE someone tell me this will get better! Will I ever be able to eat again, like a meal with my family? I realize it will be a very small meal, but not being able to eat even a really small slice of turkey meat seems really scary!

Anyway, I'm happy to find this site, I hope its helpful in my journey, and I hope I can meet lots of new people going through this journey as well, so I don't feel so alone!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    peggy
    Surgery date
    06/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Mark Smolik
    Last Activity
    08-30-2014 07:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times

Default Re: New here - 15 days out!

Hi shelbi,welcome.this site I s so valuable ask any question and everyone on here is so helpful.I am 3 weeks post op also,I'm sorry you are having a heck of a time but you/we are still in the early stages.Im having trouble getting all my water in.just take it one day at a time.things will get better.good luck on your journey.and welcome

Gastric Sleeve Member Emmers1974's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Surgery date
    05/28/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Northup
    Last Activity
    07-09-2015 02:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 69 Times

Hi Shelbi welcome to this site! I am 22 days out so not too far ahead of you and I promise it gets better! I only started soft foods yesterday and was able to do 2oz of ham, a laughing cow light swiss wedge, 2oz of wendy's chili, low fat cottage cheese, refried beans...etc but it does get better. I have only thrown up once and that was b/c I took a drink of water after I ate, out of habit I just wasn't thinking. Looking forward to talking with you more!

And just wanted to add that I am following my doctor/NUT instructions to a T!
    "The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step."

Height: 5'10
    Highest weight ever (Nov 2013): 343
    Day of surgery: 320
    1 year surgaversary: 224 and 70 inches gone

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Deborah
    Surgery date
    02/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    11-11-2019 01:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 42 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,264 Times
    Blog Entries

Do not push to eat solid foods. When they say "mush", they mean it should be mush going down (sometimes food is too dry and does not digest properly). Stick with your protein shakes and water, although you may be able to eat cream of wheat (a few spoonfuls). Your new stomach is trying to heal, and from what I understand from others on this site (and my physician), it takes around six months. You will be able to eat with your family, although you have to be patient. If not, you are setting yourself up for unnecessary difficulty. Do you have any instructions from your nutritionist? My nutritionist gave me a notebook which documented from week to week, exactly which foods that I should eat, and when I could advance to the next level. I am now over 4 months post-op and I have never vomited any food that I have eaten. Also, you cannot eat too fast-this will also cause a problem regardless of what you are eating. Remember to take your time-you did not get here overnight. This process cannot be rushed. Good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Schmitt
    Last Activity
    08-21-2014 10:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

My book doesn't include any meat until after 30 dates. Then it's only tuna, chicken, fish. 7 weeks out I can try tougher meats.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    ammie
    Surgery date
    05/28/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Russell Van Husen
    Last Activity
    07-01-2015 03:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 181 Times
    Blog Entries

I am just past 3 weeks out and mushy food didnt include deli meat. go softer musher....blend up soups, mashed potatoes, cottage cheese has been my favorite. Im on my second week of mushy food and I can eat more solid now but not the first few days of mushy food. I made a scrambled egg with milk and lowfat cheese and that was pretty good a few bites but by the end of the week i could eat the whole thing. If you like tuna do tuna salad all blended up or chicken salad. Or low fat refried beans are awesome also. just one day at a time it does get better and its worth it!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/15/2015
    Surgeon
    James Wooldridge Jr
    Last Activity
    07-06-2014 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

for myself I am expecting to take 1 year before I am healed, And all the eating stages I am extending 2 weeks, like they say 2 week for liquid I am going to do 4 weeks just for safety sake.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/08/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. A. Garay
    Last Activity
    11-02-2014 03:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Welcome. I haven't been active on the site but plan to be.

I am 2 months out and have lost over 60# from my highest weight. It has been a rocky journey but I can eat a variety of foods in small amounts now. Some foods, like beef, don't sit well but chicken and cottage cheese have become my protein favorites. I ate a bit of potato this past weekend and it was okay as far as not getting sick but I wish I hadn't - I think I over ate some and don't want to go there.

I was told 1/4 cup per meal but given no guidelines for down the road. 1/4 cup of food just doesn't seem enough to keep me from feeling weak and hungry. I would suggest you ask lots and lots of questions from your providers. Not just for what to do right after surgery but what to do later. I'm not scheduled to go back for another 3 months and can't get a call back from them either. I wish I had asked tons more questions.

Gastric Sleeve Member shelbijwilliams's Avatar
    Name
    Shelbi
    Surgery date
    06/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Scott Stowers
    Last Activity
    01-15-2024 06:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Thanks for all of the replies and great advice! I am definitely going to slow it down on trying foods. My little book has week by week instruction on what I should/shouldn't be consuming. Starting this week it was soft foods / mushy foods.

This is my list:
    Starting week 3 after your surgery you can start adding soft foods such as:
    Crilled/baked fish
    Chicken Salad
    Tuna Salad
    Egg Salad
    Thinly sliced chicken or turkey lunch meat
    Refried Beans
    Cottage Cheese
    Canned Fruit
    Well Cooked Vegetables
    Oatmeal
    Potatoes

Up until this point I have been on complete liquids, water, protein shakes, tomato soup, strained potato soup, sf gatorade, runny malt-o-meal. Today was the first time I tried anything, I don't think I ate the turkey too fast, I took about 10 minutes just to eat the one little slice of turkey meat, which was extra thin! The kind that tears into a million pieces just trying to get it out of the container. I put a little bit of miracle whip on it just to make it slimier, I thought that might help with it not being too dry. I haven't had a problem keeping liquids down, or drinking. It has been rough in the sense that I am ready to be able to eat, even just a little. Being on complete liquids is getting old. But after trying the turkey I've been afraid all day to try anything else, so I've stuck to liquids all day.

As far as the mushy/soft food stage was there anything that any of you found you could tolerate better then other things?
    Thanks for all of the info!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/15/2015
    Surgeon
    James Wooldridge Jr
    Last Activity
    07-06-2014 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

I haven't been sleeved yet but I would question the sliced deli meat and well cook veggie unless the mean carrots that can be mushed with a fork or potatoes of something like that I am taking my stages of eating from baby food I heard on youtube that if you do that you will be pretty much safe like, Stage one when you for when you can start to eat cream soup, stage two would be mushee food and so on and so fourth. tha's how I am going to do it. I an going to us baby food for a while because I don't think you can get any more gentler than that.

Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    08/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Hawasali
    Last Activity
    10-13-2014 07:31 AM
    Michigan by way of England, Mumbai, Cairo and Boston
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 440 Times in 415 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 829 Times

Cottage cheese was my best friend during that stage, plus chicken salad. Don't go too fast and try new foods a bit at a time because you never know what your sleeve just isn't going to like. I still can't really do potatoes or oatmeal because they just sit wrong. Your journey is unique to you so you'll have to find what works for you. Welcome and good luck.