Surgeon
    Dr. Michael Snyder
    Last Activity
    02-26-2016 08:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 76 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Exclamation It is time for us to be Weight Loss Surgery Activists!

I replied today to a post about a Fatty Liver disease article in the New York Times. No one else has replied yet and I have posted a comment on the article which hasn't gone live yet but what I wrote is that I think we need to all be discussing WLS as a cure for these diseases. It is so safe now and the side effects are minimal compared to the costs, side effects and even death that comes from treating this liver disease or type 2 diabetes. I know a lot of people who have WLS don't want to tell anyone because of the perception that you are lazy or gave up on traditional weight loss and exercise. However, the facts and studies have shown that 98% of people who lose weight without surgery will gain it back within 5 years! It is crazy that no one discusses this surgery as an alternative to a liver transplant!! What is there to be ashamed about? We work hard even after the surgery but it gives people a fighting chance to save their own lives. We have to be at the forefront of this discussion to change the perception that WLS is a last resort, etc... Please let me know what you think. If we don't do it then a lot of lives could be lost that would have been saved!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: It is time for us to be Weight Loss Surgery Activists!

I appreciate your enthusiasm. And you are certainly welcome to your activism.

But as someone who is a member of other message boards on different topics, I've observed that when a message board becomes an "activist board," it ceases pretty quickly to become a source of support.

Just sayin'.

Ann2

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Not for me. I don't care to proselytize...it's against my nature and my belief system.
    Anyway, I'm on the other side of those statistics. Sleeve surgery left me disabled.
    This is too major a surgery to be done for a disease that can be cured with something as safe as silmarin (milk thistle). I had fatty liver diagnosed a year before surgery, took milk thistle for 6 months and ended up with a clean as a whistle liver.

As an aside, I felt the same way about this surgery when I was about 7 months out as well....thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. I hope you continue to feel that way and it's all smooth sailing for you
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

Gastric Sleeve Member sociologist's Avatar
    Name
    Margaret
    Surgery date
    11/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Borland
    Last Activity
    03-01-2020 07:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 263 Times in 255 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 170 Times

Not to burst your bubble but wls is not for everyone. Just read through the forums for stories from others that have struggled tremendously. I just know it was best for me and my situation. While I believe all insurance cos should be required to cover the surgery and make it more available to those who need it, I dont need to wave any banner about it. I was a sekf pay and very fortunate to be able to pay for my surgery, not everyone has that option, including folks that desparately need it. I applaud your enthusiam:-)
    Margaret
    1 month: 25 lost (194-10 day stall)
    3 months: 9 lost (173-halfway to goal!)
    5 months: 7 lost (161-1week stall)
    7 months: 4 lost (152-4 week stall)
    9 months: 1 lost (145-1 month stall)
    10 months: 0 lost (145-2month stall
    14 months: 0 lost (145-7 month stall)

My goal: 145...originally 129 but my body said no!

Gastric Sleeve Member christine53's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    03-01-2015 10:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 84 Times
    Was Thanked 229 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 162 Times
    Blog Entries

WOW! That was something to read. Weight loss surgery is hard but its a choice. If the over weight people out in the world want help and do something about it they can, if they don't they can. But that's there problem just like it was mine. I got so sick of people telling I had a pretty face if only I lost a little weigh. Screw them. It was my choice if I wanted to do something about it. Didn't need there advice. But I did it cause I wanted to. Was it easy. Yes for me it was. But it is something that also changed my life and was I ready for that, yes I was. And I thank the good Lord above I did

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    08-03-2017 07:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 120 Times in 108 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

I think it is definately a very personal decision for each person and they will find it when they search for it. I found out about the sleeve from a friend who was having it, and still it was a very scary thought. But I felt it was my only chance to do something that might work and so far I'm over 80 pounds down at 7 months. I think we are all advertizements for the surgery and if asked can share with whoever wants to know.