I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    11-16-2014 09:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Justifying surgery?

Hello, everyone ...

First, let me preface my post by saying that I am *not* anti-WLS! I have considered surgery and dismissed it a couple of times over the last 10 years.

2 1/2 years ago, I sought counseling to help me with the psychological reasons I've gained weight. A little over 6 months ago, I began my journey - started by, of all things, a groupon for E-meals. I purchased the clean-eating plan, and then about a month later, I added on the low-carb plan. So, every week, I get 14 recipes to choose from. I like cooking, so this has been working for me. I also joined a gym and began working out. As I built up some confidence, I added strength training.

I was diagnosed with PTSD, and I've used my weight to shield me from the big, bad world. My highest weight was 376 (which is where I started last December). I suffered a set-back on May 6th, and I did not work out or eat as healthy for the rest of the month. I did not gain any weight, but I only lost 0.6 pounds the entire month. My total weight loss as of this morning was 39 pounds (at about 200 days of my self-made program).

I had an appointment with a new provider (a nurse practitioner, "lady-parts" LOL). She told me I was the perfect candidate for WLS. I explained to her that I'd decided against it and have been doing pretty well on my own. She was almost pushy - so much so that I'm questioning going back to her. But, it did make me start thinking --- should I seriously consider WLS? What would surgery give me that I'm not doing on my own, other than faster results? I understand I have a dangerously high BMI (51) along with some of the typical medical problems that accompany being this overweight. But, I have developed a fairly strong recent history of sticking to plan and making it work. Does this make me a perfect candidate or does this eliminate me?

I made an appointment with a surgeon and met with him today. I asked him that very question, and his response was kind of politician mixed with used car salesman. He said this would be a dramatic thing and I needed drama in my life. I said, politely, that no, I did not need drama. I needed healthy. How could I justify surgery if what I am doing is working?

I don't know at this point ... the surgeon said that I'd be a superstar patient because I'd already committed to many things that people struggle with after surgery (I've cut all sugar, no soda, as little processed food as possible, low carb only whole wheat if any, higher protein). I can admit that a weight-loss boost would be nice, but I fully understand that WLS is not an answer to problems. I've already been working with a counselor to address those problems.

So, I come to you --- the true experts --- for advice. I understand this is a personal - very personal - decision. But, what do you think about my situation? Thank you in advance for reading my wall of text and for any advice/information you can give me!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 07:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Re: Justifying surgery?

Well written comments and something I can relate to. I have felt the same way, I have committed to dieting and have been successful many times. The reason I have finally made the decision to pursue surgery is that my efforts have never lasted. I can be as committed as you are for long periods of time but it always ends and the old habits slip back and the weight comes back. For me, I realized that that wasn't going to change unless I did it differently. I am scheduled for surgery on June 30 the and am still struggling with some of what you are saying, 'why can't I just do this on my own'.

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Donald Schwab
    Last Activity
    06-13-2016 02:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 274 Times in 246 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,770 Times
    Blog Entries

You vaguely mention health issues that come from excess weight but give no details. I was and still am overweight and have had gastric sleeve surgery. It is work and life styly change. My heaviest weight was 343 with a BMI of 43. I had also started to have pains in my back, knees and feet from carrying all the excess weight. Then I had to have my gall bladder removed. When they discovered my gall bladder was not only stoned up but also so infected that it had given me pancreatitis and inflamed liver. The pancreatitis caused me to become type 2 diabetic. Since I have had the surgery I am down to 238lbs but no longer need to take the diabetes medicines, the high chlorestrol medicines and the blood pressure is now picture perfect when it was getting to be borderline. The pain in my back, knees and feet has not gone away but it is now manageable without taking any medicines.

I was able to go 6 months to a year following a strict eating plan and would have some success and then life happens. I would become stressed and would stress eat and then gain weight back. It had been a yo-yo effect for about 30 years. Today I can eat what I like but in very small amounts so it has freed me from being a slave to my food addictions. I have gained the ability to walk the whole zoo with my 4 year old and not have to stop every 30 minutes to catch my breath. I work offshore and can now climb flights of stairs without having to stop halfway up. I am able to get off of the floor after playing with my son or grandsons without assistance. I tend to work in the yard more taking care of flower beds. I live a lot more active lifestyle then before. So you could say that since my surgery I am no longer a life spectator and I am back in the game. My wife likes it because now she can wrap her arms all the way around me when she hugs me. Sex has also gotten better both because the weight is no longer in the way and my endurance has gone up.

So you are asking what to you have to benefit or gain from WLS. I would say that you have you WHOLE life to gain. It improves all aspects of life once you are able to get the weight off. It has many benefits and it does have some risks. The Doctor is right about you having half the battle fought if you have already come to grips with your bad eating habits. Not to sound like a Debbie Downer, but if you are like the rest of us here, how long will you be able to control the food monster without help? We almost all have had limited successes on our own but in time the food addiction wins and we would gain the weight back.

You also dont say how old you are nor how long you have been battling your weight. I fought it for 30 years on my own and was able to do most things without problems. Before the pancreatitis I was able to run complete 5k races at 300lbs and finish in a little over 30 minutes. Many people told me I was not that big and shouldnt do the surgery. Those same people are shocked when they see me today at 238lbs. My journey is not over but my mourning for food is over. Food has lost its hold on me and now I am a free man. IF you have any questions you would like to ask, feel free. I have nothing to hide and will even share the ugly parts if you ask for them, lol. With a BMI of 51 you are considered MORBIDLY OBESE. These means that it is Deadly and you are considered to be high risk for living. Think about it. The faster you can change that the better off you are. IF you have not developed diabetes yet it is just a matter of time. Godspeed on your journey.
    LIFE is NOT a Spectator SPORT!!

Highest weight ----343 lbs 2008
    First Consult weight--288 lbs 3/10/13
    Surgical weight ---266 lbs 5/10/13
    Lowest adult weight 237 lbs 12/03/13

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member SaltyGirl's Avatar
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times

You're very right, Seth! I did leave many details out ... I already wrote a wall of text, lol, and guess I forgot some important stats. I am 44 years old, 5'8" and currently 336#. I have a familial history of hypertension, which has been greatly exacerbated with my weight gain. I also have been diagnosed with type II diabetes and high cholesterol. I am lucky in that I haven't yet had any orthopedic problems.

I suffered a traumatic event 12 years ago, and rapidly gained weight afterwards. Food has been my comforter, protector and weapon. Prior to that, I ranged anywhere in the "overweight" BMI scale. I've never been skinny, but neither had I been obese. Sadly, back then I thought I was huge and did try various diets and pills to lose weight. Ironic, now. Since I've gained all this weight, I had not made any great efforts to lose it until my recent attempt. I've read the statistics and I, without help, have about a 2% chance of being successful.

I guess I'm still trying to come to grips with the fact that I *need* surgery. 2% does not seem like good odds, although I do like to gamble.

Thank you for sharing your stories with me. I have read about gall bladder complications being side effects either with the surgery or prior.

I am concerned about other potential long-term effects. For example, I've read that some people, after having WLS, will have their metabolism so messed up that they begin to gain weight on very-low calorie diets. I'm concerned about caloric intake, because according to my heart-rate monitor, I sometimes burn over 700 calories in a work-out. If I'm only bringing in less than a thousand, how will my body react? Does that mean I stop exercising so diligently? I'm concerned with some vanity issues like losing my hair, which even I consider ridiculous because shouldn't I be more worried about being healthy and how I look at this weight? So, the vanity issue is a wash.

I am going to set up an appointment with another surgeon because I don't think I "clicked" with the one I saw yesterday. I got the feeling that he'd want to do surgery on someone 10 pounds overweight if he could. Maybe I was mistaking his enthusiasm, and he was just excited to help me get healthy, who knows?

Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    08/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Hawasali
    Last Activity
    10-13-2014 07:31 AM
    Michigan by way of England, Mumbai, Cairo and Boston
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 440 Times in 415 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 829 Times

I can only tell you my experiences. My highest weight was 374, and at surgery time I had a BMI of 54.x. It took 10 years to get to the point where I was comfortable with the surgery which in some ways was good since the sleeve is a much better option for me and it's really taken root now.

I too have PTSD from abuse suffered in my childhood, not to mention my rapid cycling bipolar disorder. I did some counseling a couple of years ago to try and deal with some of the issues of my past but it only kinda worked. Last year I was talking to my psych NP. She had bypass right before I met her so I've seen her progress. She's always been open and honest with me, but I figured with my various brain chemistry issues they would never let me have the surgery. One day I asked her if she thought I could do it and she answered with a resounding "yes".

I did a lot of things to prepare myself for surgery. Once I decided to go for it, I told everyone. That was prophylactic since in the past when I've lost enough weight to be noticeable, people would comment and I would get self conscious and start to eat again. These days EVERYONE notices and comments. I work in a fairly large building for a massive company and everyone in my immediate vicinity knows and I'm happy to talk about it. I've found that dropping the weight I've hidden behind has given me confidence. I do have some PTSD moments, and some bipolar moment but they are getting fewer and farther between. This surgery has helped me deal with the abuse issues, even though I didn't think that would be a benefit.

This is only my experience, but this is the best thing I've ever done - not only for my physical health (which is why I did it in the first place), but emotional, confident and spiritual health as well.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Nathan
    Surgery date
    02/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Igal Breitman
    Last Activity
    10-06-2015 03:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 224 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 393 Times
    Blog Entries

I pushed surgery off a few years ago (glad I did, because I would have gotten the band) but thought I would try it on my own. Three more years of yo yo dieting, BP was higher, join pain and just feeling tired a miserable, I decided to look into surgery more.

Here is what pushed me over the edge, 5% of people that lose weight on their own keep it off, 80% (depends on the study) that have WLS keep it off. If you want to live a long life, you need to drop weight and keep it off. WLS is not easy, but it's a great tool to help you live longer and have a more fulfilling life.

Name
    Deb
    Surgery date
    03/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ismael Cabrera
    Last Activity
    10-29-2020 06:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 80 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 149 Times

I yo-yoed for years. My weight graph looks like a seismograph of an earthquake! I would get dedicated and lose a lot, but eventually I would slip into my old habits. I eventually developed mobility issues with arthritis in one knee, chondromalcia patella in the other knee and a torn tendon in one ankle. I needed a drastic change and a "leg-up" or I was headed down a fast and slippery slope.
    And then there is this:
    Obesity research confirms long-term weight loss almost impossible - Health - CBC News
    I say if you're a good candidate, and you definitely are, then go for it.
    Deb
    Be the change you wish to see in the world. (Not Gandhi's exact words, but close enough)

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Donald Schwab
    Last Activity
    06-13-2016 02:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 274 Times in 246 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,770 Times
    Blog Entries

The further out you are from surgery the more you can consume. As for not being able to exercise as rigourously you can put that thought out of your mind. We have a fellow sleever on this forum that just recently completed a marathon, that is right he ran the 26.2 miles. So exercising is still doable. Many of us have not exercised in years before our procedures and find that with the sleeve we fell better so we are starting to do activities we used to love doing before gaining the weight. It gives you your life back in such a drastic way. I would do it over again in a heartbeat. Godspeed on your journey.
    LIFE is NOT a Spectator SPORT!!

Highest weight ----343 lbs 2008
    First Consult weight--288 lbs 3/10/13
    Surgical weight ---266 lbs 5/10/13
    Lowest adult weight 237 lbs 12/03/13

Name
    Terrie
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Quinones
    Last Activity
    04-02-2019 09:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 110 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Hi there
    With all due respect I think you are in a bit of denial. Yes you are eating healthy right now, but that is probably a blip on the graph of your eating habits
    that got you to your weight of 300+.
    I know that feeling..the other day when I felt like having grapes instead of junk I felt I had it licked,,for a millisecond
    I am 5'5" and weigh just under 180lbs. I am gradually climbing the weight ladder and finally hit the "obese" range for the first time in my life.
    That is enough for me.
    I don't need more shame or health issues. I am 52 and want to enjoy the rest of my life,,not have this surgery when I am pushing 60
    All the best

Gastric Sleeve Member Flipflops's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Simchuk
    Last Activity
    01-23-2020 10:43 AM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 107 Times in 105 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 148 Times
    Blog Entries

Nate, I don't think I'd ever heard those odds, but I like them! Like so many others, I tried every diet and failed miserably. I know I will succeed with the help of my sleeve. This is the best decision I have ever made!!! I have such a great attitude this time. Like Ximmia has said many times, it's about protein, water, exercise and Attitude!
    Salty lady, give your surgeon another go. See if you feel any differently, but go with a really positive attitude. Good luck with YOUR decision. Don't let anyone talk you into it. Do it for yourself and your health.
    I ❤ MY SLEEVE!!!

Highest weight - 254
    Day of Surgery - 245
    1 month: 22 lb. loss (232)
    2 month: 12 lb. loss (220)
    3 month: 12 lb. loss (208)
    4 month: 7 lb. loss (201)
    5 month: 5 lb. loss (196)
    6 month: 7 lb. loss (189)
    7 month: 7 lb. loss (182)
    8 month: 5 lb. loss (177)
    Goal: 150

Gastric Sleeve Member SaltyGirl's Avatar
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times

It's quite easy to come to an online forum, read a snippet of information that someone shares, and come to the conclusion you've come to. Perhaps you are right, although I think that I have a fairly good grasp on some things I've been going through. I do not have a history of yo-yo dieting. I have not tried Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, or any other diets or programs. I have not gained and lost the same 10, 25, 150 pounds over and over again. I know why I gained weight, I well remember the event that has resulted in my diagnosis of PTSD. I understand what I've done to myself and I understand why I did it. I have not made any attempts to lose the weight I've gained until last December. I've said the things I guess people expect overweight people to say, "I should lose this weight!" "I sure don't need to eat another donut!" "I should start working out," etc. etc. But, I've not made any attempts to correct anything until now. I wish that I could say that I was fat and happy, but everyone knows that is seldom the case. Does that mean I'm in denial? Taking in the big picture, my recent eating habits would be considered a blip, you are correct. But, even with surgery, changes in eating habits have to start somewhere as a blip and then grow. It takes time to build more healthy days than crappy days.

Anyway, I met with another surgeon today and was much more comfortable with him. I am proceeding with the next step and taking it as it comes. If this is meant to work out, it will. I appreciate everyone's responses and words of wisdom. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

Name
    Terrie
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Quinones
    Last Activity
    04-02-2019 09:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 110 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyGirl View Post
    It's quite easy to come to an online forum, read a snippet of information that someone shares, and come to the conclusion you've come to. Perhaps you are right, although I think that I have a fairly good grasp on some things I've been going through. I do not have a history of yo-yo dieting. I have not tried Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, or any other diets or programs. I have not gained and lost the same 10, 25, 150 pounds over and over again. I know why I gained weight, I well remember the event that has resulted in my diagnosis of PTSD. I understand what I've done to myself and I understand why I did it. I have not made any attempts to lose the weight I've gained until last December. I've said the things I guess people expect overweight people to say, "I should lose this weight!" "I sure don't need to eat another donut!" "I should start working out," etc. etc. But, I've not made any attempts to correct anything until now. I wish that I could say that I was fat and happy, but everyone knows that is seldom the case. Does that mean I'm in denial? Taking in the big picture, my recent eating habits would be considered a blip, you are correct. But, even with surgery, changes in eating habits have to start somewhere as a blip and then grow. It takes time to build more healthy days than crappy days.

Anyway, I met with another surgeon today and was much more comfortable with him. I am proceeding with the next step and taking it as it comes. If this is meant to work out, it will. I appreciate everyone's responses and words of wisdom. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.
    Well if this is your first attempt then maybe you don't need surgery.Some can and do lose weight with diet and exercise. The 5% that keep it off, actually do keep it off. My sister is one of them. We went to WW 12 years ago. She kept the weight off. I have been on hundreds of diets since. She is slim and will not get surgery. I am done,,and will get it.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.

Name
    Nathan
    Surgery date
    02/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Igal Breitman
    Last Activity
    10-06-2015 03:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 224 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 393 Times
    Blog Entries

I just wanted to comment on the exercising after surgery. At 6 weeks you should be able to do anything that you want that doesn't hurt. It's a use common sense thing. You are able to do whatever you want after surgery. I bike a lot, my typical ride is between 25 and 50 miles and I do that three times a week. Like someone else said, another sleever on here just did a marathon and there is a guy that you can Google that has done 50 mile runs in a single day.

The wonderful part is that as you lose the weight, you will have more drive and energy to get out there and do the things that you like.

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/09/2014
    Last Activity
    03-03-2016 11:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times
    Blog Entries

I have tried for over 23 years to loss weight. I have been on a lot of different programs only to start out strong and hit a wall after losing 25 pounds.
    I'm a teacher spent one summer working out everyday for 90 minutes along with ww and went back to school heavier than when I left. I would have loved to be one of those people that can loss by themselves. I fight my thyroid so that just adds to the situation. I was against surgery for myself until my last failed attempt 2 years ago when I decided that I didn't want to spend the next 23 years fighting the same battle. My insurance doesn't cover the surgery so I took out a loan and self paid for my surgery last Monday. Its just a tool I still have to do the work but its going to help me. Give yourself a challenge date. Maybe a year to loss so much and if it doesn't happen look at surgery again and decide if its right for you.