I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Star
    Last Activity
    07-03-2014 12:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Bad day.. frustration with amount of food intake...

So my fiance had the Sleeve surgery. Everything has been pretty good so far. He is starting to feel a bit better. He is 18 days post surgery and over 40 lbs down! He has been able to get down everything he has eaten so far. Some things bothered his stomach but no throwing up or anything like that.

Yesterday was just a crappy day overall I guess. He was already in a bad mood and come dinner time, I made him mashed sweet potato and he had it with a side of some baby food. He had just a few bites and was done. He seemed incredibly frustrated and burst out with "When the hell is my stomach going to stretch so I can eat again!?"... I know he DOES understand that you wouldn't want your stomach STRETCHED or what was the point of all of this. I explained to him that this is all mental. His stomach is full and that's great. It's his mind that wants more satisfaction. I'm trying to be supportive and helpful without acting as if I have a clue what he is feeling ya know? I imagine it is frustrating and annoying as he said all the prep work to make dinner and clean dishes for 3 or 4 bites. He felt like it wasn't even worth eating.
    I assume others have gone through similiar thoughts or feelings so if anyone wants to share that would be great!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member drwatsonjd's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/19/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlton
    Last Activity
    09-15-2014 10:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Bad day.. frustration with amount of food intake...

I can understand both your frustrations. Being on the sleeved side of things and just starting to eat soft foods, I have had the same thought in the past 48 hours. In fact I was telling a friend, there has to be some kind of happy medium between eating 4 slices of pizza and one sitting and being able to eat 1/4th of one piece of pizza. The sleeve is pretty extreme and it really takes some getting used to. For me the pyschological aspect is harder than the physical one. I've been told that it gets better. But as I sit here with 1/2 of ONE egg left, I can say that I'm probably as frustrated as your fiance' is.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Schmitt
    Last Activity
    08-21-2014 10:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

I am 9 days post op and starting to wonder wth have I done to myself?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mailapur
    Last Activity
    11-19-2014 07:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries

I had the same feeling at the stage you are at. I am 7 weeks post op and I still struggle with getting enough protein, etc. . The issue for my husband is that he has lost his eating buddy. He understand that there are some places I just cannot go now. It is not worth paying for the little bit I eat. We used to go out quite a bit and that has just about stopped. It was our recreation time. I am happy with my decision to get the sleeve. For me it is more a head game. It does get better.

Gastric Sleeve Member mdeerberg's Avatar
    Name
    Chelley
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mandelbaum
    Last Activity
    09-24-2014 02:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 48 Times

I am soooooo going through this right now. I just want to chew something. I'm frustrated and even cried the other day. It was my fabulous husband that pointed out that I had already lost close to 30 lbs and it took me 20+ years to get that way. Therefore I cannot expect to change overnight. He also pointed some to NSV's that I hadn't even noticed (ie: not getting short of breath with simple things, saying that he doesn't hear my knees pop on the stairs, and seeing my strength in getting through this). He reminded me sweetly and politely to be patient. It's 3-5 months of a struggle----with HUGE BIG TIME results. I can handle it for this short period of time.

Keep supporting him!!! He needs you....I couldn't get through this without my spouse

Hang in there. I'm glad you are on here. Its a great support structure for you as well.

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Carri
    Surgery date
    01/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kim
    Last Activity
    06-19-2020 04:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries

It TOTALLY gets better! I'm 5 months out and can eat a significant more than I could at the beginning. At first I could barely eat a 4 oz yogurt but now I can eat a 6 oz yogurt with 1/4 granola and some blueberries thrown in. Today at lunch I ate the good part of a half size apple chicken pecan salad and 3/4 of a small cup of chili from Wendy's. ( I know not the healthiest choice, 1st time I've eaten there since being sleeved, but we've been out of the house all day). I remember at his stage sitting down with my family and being annoyed that I would eat a 1/2 cup of soup while they had something delicious (that I probably cooked for them). I'm down 55 lbs now and wouldn't change a thing!

Surgery date
    05/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Donald Schwab
    Last Activity
    06-13-2016 02:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 274 Times in 246 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,770 Times
    Blog Entries

I am one year out and while it does get better you will never eat as much as before. I can sit down and eat about 6 ounces of a sirlon steak at this point. I can manage a very small grilled chicken breast at a meal also. I know the frustration he is feeling because when I was 3 months out my family was begging for me to cook some ribs on the pit. I spent 6 hours smoking them ribs to perfection to eat ONE rib. I was mad as hell but I made this decision and it is all on me. Today I can eat 3 ribs and that is alot more satisfing then eating a whole rack with all the fixins. Godspeed on your journey.
    LIFE is NOT a Spectator SPORT!!

Highest weight ----343 lbs 2008
    First Consult weight--288 lbs 3/10/13
    Surgical weight ---266 lbs 5/10/13
    Lowest adult weight 237 lbs 12/03/13

Gastric Sleeve Member StarIzInkd's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Star
    Last Activity
    07-03-2014 12:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is awesome for me to see what you guys are saying so I can relay it to him and also know what he needs to hear.

SethP.. that was like a convo we had today. We want to have a BBQ but I am afraid he is going to be upset not being able to eat what he cooks. However, he says he'll be okay. We just got our first place together after 11 years!!!! We are looking forward to having friends and family over and enjoying summer with a BBQ so maybe in a few more weeks when he can eat a lil more than now. As if not being able to eat FOOD FOOD isn't bad enough.. not being able to drink either I'm sure is not making him happy. I just gotta keep reminding him how great he is doing and why he did this in the first place.

Name
    Tammy
    Surgery date
    05/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-18-2014 06:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

Tell him not to worry...he WILL enjoy food again! Promise! It took a while but the biggest hurdles are in the first few months...once you learn your new eating limits is when you can really start to have fun with food again. Its just a learning curve for now. Tell him to hang in there...I'm two years out, at my goal and generally the only time I get a little (very little) disappointed because I can't eat more is when it is a very favorite food that I haven't had in a really long time. Good luck to both of you.

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-20-2024 01:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times
    Was Thanked 504 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 231 Times

I'm about 45 days out and can eat absolutely anything my family eats, if I want it. Just a whole lot less. Today it passed my mind that I'd like a size serving of what I used to eat...but it won't fit in! It takes time to learn how to operate our sleeves.

"Lee, by "own it!" your daughter means that you should be proud of your accomplishment and understand that you deserve this. Not because you have to pay it forward or backward to justify your own benefits. She means that this is YOUR accomplishment, and accomplishing that for yourself is enough. You do not have to fix everybody. And you do not owe anyone for the benefits you have earned. They are YOURS!" Ann2

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mailapur
    Last Activity
    11-19-2014 07:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries

The good thing for me is that I can have a few bites and I am full. When I think I can sw tone more bite, I try to stop before I eat it because it will make me I'll. prior to surgery, I would eat and eat before I had the full feeling. It is great to feel satisfied with a few bites. I hated that bloated feeling. Big NSV - my husband has been calling me skinny! Woohoo.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ragui Sadek
    Last Activity
    01-19-2015 08:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

This too shall pass. Tell your him that he will start enjoying food again. I eat maybe 1/3 of what I used to eat (or less) these days. Can eat about half a rack of ribs, now (I want to say that's about 5 or 6 ribs?) and I am 5 months out from the surgery. I can eat a single burger over the course of a 30 - 35 minute session.

His time will come. It does for all of us.

FWIW, I was the opposite of him. I could eat a fair bit early on and was wondering what the hell was happening. I actually eat less now than I did 3 months after the surgery. Believe it or not.

Start pre-op: 395
    Day of surgery: 386
    Current: 275

January: -19
    February: -10
    March: -15
    April: -13
    May: -12
    June: -15
    July: -7
    August: -16

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    08-03-2017 07:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 120 Times in 108 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

It is hard at the beginning cause the amount is so small, but like 4 months, 4 ounces, 6 months 6 ounces, and maybe in a year 12 ounces. Doesn't seem like a lot but 6 ounces feels more like a meal now to me. A protein and like 1/4 cup of vegies does it. Or oatmeal. Or I can even eat a sandwich now if I decide I want one. So you don't have to give up everything, just big portions. I know big portions seem to fill up not just the stomach but the emotional need. Have to figure out how to fill the emotional needs as you go along.