Surgeon
    Dr. Bellanger
    Last Activity
    01-21-2015 02:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 15 Times

Default Just beginning.........Question about 6 mth diet

Well I have the ball rolling now. I have a consultation with the surgeon coming up on the 20th and seminar the same day (very excited about that)

My insurance will be covering the surgery. They do require a 6mth supervised or structured diet. Weight Watchers is approved for that and I am in my 2nd month.

Usually, what does the insurance company look for with the 6 month diet? Are they wanting to see if I am able to lose weight on my own or looking to see if I cant lose weight?

I need to know what to do in order for my insurance to cover me, LOL

Thanks in advance,
    Aimee

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Nathan
    Surgery date
    02/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Igal Breitman
    Last Activity
    10-06-2015 03:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 224 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 393 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Just beginning.........Question about 6 mth diet

Typically they are looking for this to make sure you actually tried. If you are able to quickly lose weight and keep it off through a program, then you wouldn't need surgery.

There are some insurances that won't approve the surgery if you go under a 40 or 35 BMI, so I would ask your insurance about the stipulations. Everyone has a different insurance, and every insurance seems to be a little different.

Gastric Sleeve Member Bufflehead's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. K. Robert Williams
    Last Activity
    08-14-2017 02:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 180 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 44 Times

You should check with your insurance -- and get the answer in writing if at all possible. Check your member benefit handbook, and if there is no specified outcome there, call your insurance and verify. Ask for the answer to be sent in writing. If they won't do it, write THEM -- "thanks for taking the time to answer my question. This is just to confirm that I spoke with [name of representative] on [date] and she advised me that [I don't need to lose any weight on the six month supervised weight loss plan in order to qualify for bariatric surgery/I have to lose 10% of my body weight/whatever the answer was].
    You can't assume what the answer will be, even if someone has the same insurance company as you. Plans will vary even with the same provider. I have a Cigna plan and my specific plan required me to be on a six month supervised diet and FAIL at losing 10% of my body weight -- if I had gone by what other people on internet forums were doing, I would have messed up my chance to qualify for surgery.
    Good luck!

Surgery date
    02/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Kim Celebration,Fl. 2/7
    Last Activity
    05-11-2016 10:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 57 Times
    Was Thanked 275 Times in 247 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 435 Times

My blue Cross said 3 months supervised by doctor or dietitian . And a written report when finished.
    01/2013 information group 225. ,ht 5' 5". BMI. 37.5 ,01/30 /2014. Start pre op diet 218 lbs 2/7 .. Surgery. ..214. ..2/14...204. 03/1..206 ??.. March 6 (4 week check up 202lb. March. 8.. First goal . 199.4. BMI. 33.1. April1. .192.5. May 7. 188.6
    Jun 1. 178. BMI. 29.2. .reached a Goal.. No longer obese!!!? 7-01. ..174 , 08/1,..1965.. 08/7......14 months. 149...a normal BMI ...

Gastric Sleeve Member dominalove's Avatar
    Name
    April
    Surgery date
    08/11/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. David Voellinger
    Last Activity
    09-12-2014 07:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times

I'm new here, I just went thru 4 months of the 6 month diet required by blue cross of north Carolina, my bariatric insurance coordinator called me this morning to say that blue cross of nc no longer requires the 6 month diet and she submitted my paper work hopefully I will have surgery by September.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents