08/21/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rodriguez
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Red face Is the $$$ really worth it?

Hi Everyone - New to this site but not to WLS.

My story (the short version): Had a lap band put in by Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey Mexico in 2003 - I did really well with it, lost all my excess weight, had two children, and had been mostly happy with the band until about 4 years ago.

I had a full laparoscopic hysterectomy (done by the head of the OB/Gynecology Department at a hospital in the US) - the Dr. cut my ureter tube during the surgery, which I didn't find out until 2 weeks later, lots of complications, two surgeries and weeks in the hospital later I went home. During this time I was told to get my band unfilled, which I did. During the months of recovery, I couldn't exercise, change in hormones, depressed by what had happened, etc, I gained about 40 pounds of the 90 I had lost (I got a proper fill after about 4 months of recovering). I haven't been able to get it off since then, my arthritis is worse, the band is just weird since then, sometimes a lot of restriction, throwing up, most of the time, not much restriction at all - although I can't "pig out" which is good. I have acid reflux (runs in the family) but I feel the band makes it worse, since I had very little reflux when my band was unfilled.

I am wanting to get my band out and revise to the gastric sleeve. I've had a few friends that have been very successful with it, and I just don't feel my band is doing me any good.

I've been doing lots of research the last month - I will be a self-pay, going to Mexico. I will not be using Dr. Almanza, altho a few of my friends have been to him and have been successful, I had a friend just recently go to him, he knicked her intestine, wouldn't go to see her even though she was complaining to staff that something was not right, they released her to go home, she became very very ill and finally got a doctor in the US to fix his mistake. She's lucky to be alive. I just don't like his follow up with patients, which seems non-existent from what I can tell.

I don't have to have the cheapest surgeon, but I want someone that is very experienced and especially lots of experience with revision surgeries. As being someone who has endured a mistake due to a "routine" surgery, I want to feel very comfortable, but realize that there can be mistakes, so I also want a Dr. that will not ignore me if I feel like something is wrong and that really cares about his patients. So far I seem pleased with the credentials and experience of Dr. Ariel Ortiz, his price is $9000 for a revision - this seems a little steep, but I'm willing to pay it if he is worth it. I haven't been able to find another surgeon in Mexico with 1500+ revision surgeries, that's my question to all of you, is there anyone I'm missing that I should consider?

Any input is appreciated

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    01-21-2017 11:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 64 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is the $$$ really worth it?

I'm sorry that things have turned for the worst for you! I used Dr. Ortiz from the obesity Control Center if that's the one you're talking about. I'm very pleased with his work so far and follow-up/availability of a doctor to talk to regarding my problems. I must admit that I was disappointed w/ the administrative end of things of the staff. Whether it's the front desk not realising that they'd arrange transportation for us to leave Mexico w/ a drain still in or the ~4 weeks it took to get my surgical report.

I had an issue I was concerned with, which I have in one of my blogs. I was tachycardic for more than 16 hrs around 5 days post op, and my body was retaining nothing (tmi moment - not vomitting, the other end). I live in Japan, so it was a huge deal being able to talk to my surgeon about what potentially was going on and modifications I should try. I was very pleased with this access and it turned out it could have been a combination of several non-life threatening things that caused this reaction (having to do w/ lactose/soy, refeeding after low nutrient liquid diet, and depletion of gut bacteria). I did a followup w/ my GP here and everything was and has been alright since.

Now, I don't know much about LGB to VSG/GBP. What I do know is that it's typically a longer surgery and higher risk due to scarring around the stomach caused by the band. In some cases, the scarring makes conversion too unsafe to perform. All secondary bariatric procedure I know of is more expensive, possibly for more reasons than I mentioned. Before you do the surgery, I strongly recommend researching the risks if you haven't already. As for is it worth it - I'll answer your question w/ a question - what impact has your weight gain have on the quality of your life and is that quality difference worth $9k? Also consider the long term benefits of maintaining a healthy weight and if you can do this through non-surgical means if you're not fully decided yet. Best wishes.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Stacy'sSleevedLife's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Stacy
    Surgery date
    02/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 384 Times in 331 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,914 Times
    Blog Entries

Hello and welcome to the forum! I am not going to tell you why you should have the surgery. By you having the Lap Band you are an experienced person who know that weight loss surgery can work. The Lap Band, Gastric Sleeve are all "tools" that if used correctly along with a lifestyle change on our part will lead us to a healthier life. Now I will tell you why I had my surgery with Dr. Sergio Quinones.

I had my surgery with Dr. Sergio Quinones in Tijuana on January 12, 2013 and it was the best decision I could have made. I would and do strongly recommend Dr. Quinones to anyone who is considering weight loss surgery in Mexico. Dr. Quinones only performs 3 surgeries daily, they are performed in a private hospital. The more I did my research I came to realize that Dr. Quinones was my best option in Tijuana. These are just a few things that while I was doing my research my Dr. Quinones stand out among the rest. Dr. Quinones is Proctor Certified (He teaches bariatric surgery to other surgeons), He SPEAKS fluent English, Has 4 years of Trauma surgery experience. Please feel free to private message me here. I will be more than happy to answer any questions or concerns about my experience in Tijuana with Dr. Quinones. Many people don't know about Dr. Quinones because he chooses not to advertise, 90% of Dr. Quinones patients come from other patient referrals. I have no idea what Dr. Quinones charges for a revision but in another support group I belong to a few of the members have had the revision surgery with Dr. Quinones and are very happy.

Good luck,
    Stacy

PS... If you go to my YouTube Channel you can see Dr. Quinones performing the gastric sleeve and describing the procedure in English
    Follow my Weight Loss Journey on my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqW...JzJewHgnlCj-Pg

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Terrie
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Quinones
    Last Activity
    04-02-2019 09:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 110 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Hi there
    I am going with Dr Lumban in Tijuana. I cannot find anything about him on the internet, he is old school and I believe he does a lot of Mexicans. From what I know about him, he had been doing this (and only does bariatric) for 25 years.
    Here is why I feel comfortable with him (getting references for sure) ,,,one of the surgeons he works with has called me twice to discuss any concerns.
    I had full facial cosmetic surgery with Dr Alejandro Quiroz last summer. Dr Quiroz does a lot of skin removal post bariatric and works closely with Dr Lumba,,same building,,surgical suite etc.
    Dr Quiroz recommended him and if it comes from Dr Quiroz it is good enough for me. His staff is top notch and would not work with bad surgeons, or recommend them. I am going to be at the Vida hospital and recover at the recovery boutique, which is $150/day all your meals (broth) and 24 hours nursing. It is $5900 and you stay 2 nights (included) in the hospital.
    If you need more info PM me.
    There are cheaper surgeons but I won't use them
    Terrie
    Oh btw,,Dr Quiroz is going to be in the OR too,,

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Tara
    Surgery date
    09/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Garcia
    Last Activity
    07-24-2014 02:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I went to Dr. Garcia in TJ. He was great, everyone else was great. They answered all of my questions at all hours of the day/night. I paid a little under $5k and it was worth every penny and twice that.

09/13/13 Start pre-op diet 238lbs
    09/19/13 Surgery day 235lbs
    09/26/13 1 week post op 227lbs
    10/19/13 1 mo post op 212lbs
    11/21/13 Onederland! Woot! 198lbs
    01/19/13 4 mo's post op 177lbs
    06/10/14 9 mo's post op 163lbs

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgeon
    Jose A Castaņeda in Puerto Vallarta.
    Last Activity
    04-19-2015 02:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 85 Times

Terrie-
    You are so beautiful! I am considering full facial surgery too. Any recommenations for researching?
    Rhonda
    BMI 30
    Target loss: 50lbs
    Surgery Status: Approved Mexico, Date TBD

Gastric Sleeve Member Christian_Loving_Life's Avatar
    Name
    Irene Billingsley
    Surgery date
    11/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-15-2020 11:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

hey Terri...you look familiar to me... Did you happen to work for Shell? I worked for Shell in Fort McMurray but spent lots of time at the Shell Office in Calgary and thought that might be why you look familiar. congrats on your weight loss!