I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    09-18-2014 08:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Question Self Pay and later Complications

Hello,

I am still pre-op, and plan to get sleeved mid July... have my second consult with the doctor I chose next week.. and after that final decision time...
    Although I have insurance, that covers WLS, but required the 6 month process, I have no patience for that.... I decided to be a self-pay, as the doc only charges 10.5k ALL Inclusive (here in Florida).

My question is, if here are complications later on, for example a leak, which is directly related to the sleeve surgery, and can happen up-to 3-4 weeks after the surgery, would you know if the insurance company will cover it ? -OR- those expenses must be paid out of pocket ?

It so happens to be that the surgeon I'm going to, believe it or not, has a PERFECT track record, he said in my first consult he had ZERO complications.... and indeed has been very much recommended by everyone I spoke to. I did a lot of research on him... all feedback is outstanding ! the center/hospital, where he does his surgeries, is an excellence center... so everything looks really good !

I will of course pose that same question to him, when I see him next week, and will 'come' back to update, but also wanted to know what did you think...

Thank you in advance...

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Re: Self Pay and later Complications

Those are all great questions. I too was a self pay. I elected to go to Mexico. One of the main tipping points for me was the fact that the surgeon I chose had done literally thousands and thousands of the VSG's. To me, it seemed like no matter what happened to me on the table, this guy had seen it, dealt with it and probably had a good plan of attack. In other words, no hesitations.

The day of my surgery, I was the second one of the day. He literally did 14 VSG procedures that day. When I got up to walk during the night, he was still at it and didn't stop until 2:30 in the morning. He did my procedure at 9:00 the previous morning. It really isn't unusual for a surgeon to stay in surgery 12-14 hours at a time. Brain surgeries routinely take that long. I'm not sure I would advocate doing 14 surgeries in one day, but, that's how this guy rolls and his experience was the main selling point for me.

Good luck to you. Ask lots of questions. The more info you have pre op, the better off you'll be post op.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/19/2014
    Surgeon
    Robert Michaelson
    Last Activity
    02-22-2015 04:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Insurance will not pay for complications resulting from the surgery. My surgeon included 3 months of BLIS insurance which covered leaks for that time and also infection but that is it. My insurance would not cover the procedure period, if I had the option you had I would definitely do the 6 month process. Mine was almost 3 months from my consult with the surgeon anyways in that time I did my stuff the surgeon required: nutritionist visit, psych visit, endoscopy and pre-op diet. That is kind of strange that your surgeon claims no complications ever. I wouldn't bank on that. Even the best of surgeons generally run 1% complications and you don't want to be that 1% and have to pay for it out of pocket.

Gastric Sleeve Member SDmom2two's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/12/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Rumsey
    Last Activity
    02-11-2015 04:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

make sure you get the answer in writing. If there are complications, you may be told you have a pre-existing condition.
    The flip side from what I know of the good surgeons with good track records is that the complications are very low and infrequent - much is in your court ie making sure you follow the food plan. Dont do like on "my 600 lb life" where they are driving through fast food a week later. Good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member Paulette21's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Steven Fass
    Last Activity
    03-13-2015 05:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 76 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times

My insurance would not cover the sleeve procedure nor will they cover any complications as a result of the sleeve surgery.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you everyone... I will sure to discuss it with him next week ...

Will let you know.

Gastric Sleeve Member Mrssimpson's Avatar
    Name
    K
    Surgery date
    08/22/2013
    Surgeon
    Shillingford
    Last Activity
    12-05-2015 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 39 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 29 Times
    Blog Entries

You must have chosen dr shillingford. He is incredible !!!!

I loved my experience.

1st dr visit. 311
    Start pre op 290
    Dos 8/22. 275
    8/30. 263
    9/30. 249
    10/30. 234
    11/30. 219
    12/31. 208
    1/31. 198 Woohoo!!!
    2/28 193
    3/31. 186
    4/30. 179
    5/30. 172
    6/30. 170
    7/30. 165. Goal!!!!!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries

Have you thought of asking your insurance company this question? Seems like the best thing to do is just call them. Your surgeon isn't going to know what your plan covers.

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jessiejess View Post
    Have you thought of asking your insurance company this question? Seems like the best thing to do is just call them. Your surgeon isn't going to know what your plan covers.
    Yep.. good idea... will do that as well.

Thank you

Name
    Karen
    Surgery date
    03/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Cottam
    Last Activity
    08-03-2015 12:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 87 Times
    Blog Entries

Definitely ask your insurance. I was in a similar situation to yours in that my insurance covered the sleeve in general, but I didn't qualify because my weight was too low and I didn't have any life threatening diseases. But, I was happy to discover upon calling them that even if I self-paid for the surgery, any complication would be covered because they would be deemed medically necessary.

We even discovered that the insurance will basically cover everything around the surgery even without approval. They paid for my surgical consult, my pre-surgery labwork and my post-op office appointments. If your insurance does that, maybe you can negotiate an even cheaper price? I am due a refund from my surgeon's office because I paid the full price, not knowing all that would be covered. Granted, it's not a big refund, just because the surgery itself is the big cost, but it was such a relief to know that any complications would be covered without having to spend the $2700 for BLISCare.

Surgery date
    06/07/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shillingford
    Last Activity
    05-02-2016 06:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 175 Times
    Was Thanked 291 Times in 272 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 250 Times

Dr. Shillingford was my surgeon almost 1 year ago and did an amazing job! I haven't had 1 bad day yet!! Best of luck to you!!

Gastric Sleeve Member Batmanswifeislosing's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/19/2013
    Last Activity
    12-31-2015 08:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,432 Times
    Blog Entries

I am not positive but I believe with WLS it depends on if insurance paid for it, what I mean by that is if your insurance does cover it and you self pay as to not go through psychiatric classes and nutrition counseling and such all to avoid waiting then I am pretty sure they will NOT cover the "complication" should one arise because they did not approve the surgery and you did not follow their rules etc.
    Now if they cover it and you go through their steps and they decide that you are mentally, and physically ready and educated enough and they pay for the surgery, then after that I am 99% sure they cover the complication if it arises.
    If insurance does not cover WLS and you self pay and there is a complication that the doctor deems is DIRECTLY related to the surgery then almost always they will not cover it. However if it was something where you went to the ER and don't specifically write down that this problem is for sure related to this surgery then it can slip through.

I self paid in Mexico and had the issue that my incisions opened after I removed the stitches (probably should have left a few more days but was impatient) I went to the urgent care in town, they saw me, and just wrote it up as an opened wound but made no mention of my WLS so my insurance covered it. However I went to my PCP to get a yearly check up and run blood work to check all the cholesterol, vitamin etc etc stuff and she wrote down that it was a blood check for post WLS care and my insurance denied my claim to pay for the blood work and office visit. My PCP physician and I have since talked about that and it was resubmitted and paid, because I was in fact there for my regular every year once a year routine stuff. I was not having issues, was not concerned about any levels or anything like that. I would have had the same testing whether or not I had the surgery. so just keep that in mind.

Also ask your insurance if you were to self pay if there could be any reimbursement later as I have seen and heard of it happening sometimes.
    Good luck to you
    I always wanted to be a certain number but after losing and have the skin removed I looked in the mirror and I realized I had hit my goal... I see healthy, beautiful, and happy! Numbers mean nothing to me...but self worth does and MAN AM I VALUABLE!

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

THANK YOU !!!

I spoke to the insurance company... they wouldn't give me a black-or-white answer ... because they DO cover WLS.. fully, and the DR. that I intend to do it with is 'on contract' with them, and is a recommended one.
    If I were to go thru them I will qualify for sure because my BMI is over 50 without any medical issues.

When I posed the question about complications, if & after selfpay... they were baffled... but did say that since they cover WLS to begin with, with a Dr. that is part of their network, any issues (if marked that are direct derivatives of the WLS) will be subject to the approval process.... which I qualify for anyway... but will take longer to get re-funded

My company is Aetna with what seems a very good coverage... my out-of-pocket will be $1000 at most...

With Dr. S. track record (excellent) the center is Bariatric excellence and all this info... I should be OK...

mrsjoe, I have a repeat consult with my Dr. next week, I will ask about your 'idea' of a 'lower price'.

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Batmanswideisloosing View Post
    I am not positive but I believe with WLS it depends on if insurance paid for it, what I mean by that is if your insurance does cover it and you self pay as to not go through psychiatric classes and nutrition counseling and such all to avoid waiting then I am pretty sure they will NOT cover the "complication" should one arise because they did not approve the surgery and you did not follow their rules etc.
    Now if they cover it and you go through their steps and they decide that you are mentally, and physically ready and educated enough and they pay for the surgery, then after that I am 99% sure they cover the complication if it arises.
    If insurance does not cover WLS and you self pay and there is a complication that the doctor deems is DIRECTLY related to the surgery then almost always they will not cover it. However if it was something where you went to the ER and don't specifically write down that this problem is for sure related to this surgery then it can slip through.

I self paid in Mexico and had the issue that my incisions opened after I removed the stitches (probably should have left a few more days but was impatient) I went to the urgent care in town, they saw me, and just wrote it up as an opened wound but made no mention of my WLS so my insurance covered it. However I went to my PCP to get a yearly check up and run blood work to check all the cholesterol, vitamin etc etc stuff and she wrote down that it was a blood check for post WLS care and my insurance denied my claim to pay for the blood work and office visit. My PCP physician and I have since talked about that and it was resubmitted and paid, because I was in fact there for my regular every year once a year routine stuff. I was not having issues, was not concerned about any levels or anything like that. I would have had the same testing whether or not I had the surgery. so just keep that in mind.

Also ask your insurance if you were to self pay if there could be any reimbursement later as I have seen and heard of it happening sometimes.
    Good luck to you
    ========================

Thank you ... will Do !!

I thing I should be OK !

Name
    Karen
    Surgery date
    03/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Cottam
    Last Activity
    08-03-2015 12:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 87 Times
    Blog Entries

Congratulations! I know for me, it took so much stress off knowing that the complications would be paid. I too have Aetna. I think so many people either have weightloss surgery excluded completely, which also excludes complications, or go through the approval process, so complications are automatically covered. We are just in a unique situation to have coverage, but not be able to or not want to use it.

Good luck with your surgery. Here's hoping you never need to get any complications approved!