10/09/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alan Posner
    Last Activity
    05-27-2014 05:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Does everyone lose weight with the surgery?

I know....that what I'm trying to say, right after my surgery when I was doing everything exactly like I should I still don't think I lost the weight
    like I should have. I only lost say 12-18 lbs. about 2 months out. After that I never lost anything more. I basically was eating a protein shake for breakfast, 2 part skim string cheese for a snack before lunch, a greek yogurt and some ground up turkey breast or cottage cheese with fruit for lunch. You would think having 80% of your stomach removed you would lose weight like crazy even if you weren't being 100% good. I just don't understand why I can eat as much as I can.
    I really appreciate everyone's advice. I'm going to really try the 5 day pouch test and drink more water and get outside and MOVE! And make better choices and hopefully things will turn around. I don't mean to sound like a winer, but after my surgery I remember my Dr. telling my husband....she did awesome, she is going to love this procedure and she is going to lose alot of weight ( 2lbs a week) so that is what I thought would happen. That I wouldn't be ABLE to eat much at all and that the weight would come off.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/02/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr R Kelly
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

oh no whats the point

Gastric Sleeve Member TrixterLooWhoo's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/21/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith Portsmouth, Va
    Last Activity
    03-28-2015 09:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Quote Originally Posted by phuber40 View Post
    I know....that what I'm trying to say, right after my surgery when I was doing everything exactly like I should I still don't think I lost the weight
    like I should have. I only lost say 12-18 lbs. about 2 months out. After that I never lost anything more. I basically was eating a protein shake for breakfast, 2 part skim string cheese for a snack before lunch, a greek yogurt and some ground up turkey breast or cottage cheese with fruit for lunch. You would think having 80% of your stomach removed you would lose weight like crazy even if you weren't being 100% good. I just don't understand why I can eat as much as I can.
    I really appreciate everyone's advice. I'm going to really try the 5 day pouch test and drink more water and get outside and MOVE! And make better choices and hopefully things will turn around. I don't mean to sound like a winer, but after my surgery I remember my Dr. telling my husband....she did awesome, she is going to love this procedure and she is going to lose alot of weight ( 2lbs a week) so that is what I thought would happen. That I wouldn't be ABLE to eat much at all and that the weight would come off.
    Maybe you should have a sit down with your doctor and food blog for a week or two and have him look at it. I am betting that they can find the issue in your diet. Also, it shows you only had 40 lbs to lose with sleeve. As far as I know, VGS is for those with 100+ to lose. You can't expect to lose a ton when you had so little to lose, without exercise. Most of us expect to lose 60-80% without exercise, 100%+ with. You have to burn more calories than you are eating. Like I said, you should probably see a nutritionist, and one that specializes in bariatric support. Gl!

Surgery date
    06/02/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr R Kelly
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Hi I have been on a diet for almost 2 weeks. My first week was liquid ,soft foods, small amounts of chichen breast, steak salad ,soft eggs and one piece of toast. I lost 12 lbs! Now I have been on just liquids for example vegetable juice, chicken broth, protein shakes and water. I have gained 2 lbs back? Can someone please explain this to me! I am afraid I will not lose weight with the sleeve now.

Gastric Sleeve Member slrsnewlife's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/09/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Quinones
    Last Activity
    01-04-2020 01:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 27 Times

I guess we do lose. Some of us just lose slower than others and we have to find the combination that will accelerate our weight loss.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    06/02/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr R Kelly
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

I feel like I am doomed I have not lost anything for 2 weeks. In total 7 weeks out from pre op I have only lost 26 lbs and the scale has not budged for 2 weeks how is this possible? I used to eat like 3000 to 4000 cal a day now maybe a 1000. And all protein no carbs the weight should be falling off? Plus I am starving most of the time. I feel so hopeless i feel like I have to eat zero nothing at all. I do not believe its my diet either how can it be. I am able to eat quite a bit more now as well so why so some people keep losing and others dont. I lost more by just not eating after 8 pm before than I am with the sleeve and I ate what I wanted during the day

Gastric Sleeve Member rhill2901's Avatar
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 59 Times in 55 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times

First 2-3 weeks, its impossible not too lose. 3 weeks out, you shouldn't be consuming 1000 calories. What you eat could be a factor. Keep notes of everything you put in your mouth. NO SUGAR, NO CARBS (or at least keep it very very low), no fat, no soda...

Your starving episodes is in your head. You have to tackle that now before it gets out of control. you can stretch your stomach and you will be back to where you started. You don't want to go down that road. Only eat your regular meals, but they should be tiny meals. At your stage, after 2-3 tablespoons, I was full. Any more than that, your abusing your sleeve. GET YOUR HEAD INTO IT!!!

Keep in mind thats the point when the body is trying to readjust to your intake. Some spend a little time in this stage. No need to call it gloom and doom so quickly. Measure yourself also. Readjustment periods will happen.

As a side note, my weight will fluctuate 2-3 pounds, but I don't worry about it. Weigh yourself 1 time a week, first thing in the morning before you have a glass of water, or anything. It will reduce the inaccuracies of your weighing in.

Surgery date
    06/02/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr R Kelly
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Wow dont you look cool. I definitely can ear more than 2 or 3 tbsps lol. A 1000 calories is considered a starvation diet but you are saying thats too much? I. Dont eat sugar or drink soda! This is what I had yesterday. One large coffee with int creamer. Cottage cheese with watermelon 3/4 cup. A protein shake one small greek yogurt, welches juice gummies , 5 pieces of chicken breast chewed well a slice of low fat cheese and 5 cherries and a protein smoothie with fruit yogurt and skim milk. Is that too much? It seems like it doesnt it now that I have written it down! Ok tell me what you eat every day rhil?

Surgery date
    06/02/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr R Kelly
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

And thank you i am going to re read your post when ever I feel like stepping over the line ! I have to do this its my only chance!

Gastric Sleeve Member Toopie2Seater's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    01-20-2015 11:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 92 Times
    Was Thanked 146 Times in 135 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 321 Times

Hey Chelan, I haven't had surgery so others may give you better advice. My first thought with your food log is that you're probably a bit dehydrated. Even if you feel as though you're drinking enough, the coffee is a diuretic and will cause your kidneys to flush your system out, leaving you with a fluid deficit. From what everyone says, dehydration is one of the key causes of a stall.

Surgery date
    06/02/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr R Kelly
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

I know thanks. I used to drink tons of water now I can hardly drink any. It wont go down and tastes funny. Not sure what to do?