Dr. Moon and Dr.Marley
    Last Activity
    07-05-2014 07:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Making the decision

Hi,
    You can call me Kay, I am 37 years old, I am married, I just finished up nursing school a year ago and work as an RN, I am married and have a 7 year old son who is in 1st grade. I have been overweight my entire life and have tried every diet under the sun!! I'm tired of being tired, I want to play with my kid, not come home from work and lay on the couch. My activity level is low because I get winded easily, this 5'9" frame carrying 310 lbs cannot keep up. This is the heaviest I've ever been. I'm hoping on this forum I meet people who can tell me their stories good and bad so I kind of have an idea of what people go through, side effects, etc. Here is my story so far:

I have been thinking about having weight loss surgery for over a year now. I began the journey back in February, March, April, but became sidetracked when my mother (who also watches my son while I work) had a positive stress test. I put my decision to have the surgery on hold until we knew for certain what was going on with her. Turns out all was okay, she did however need to have a bowel resection (I know, has nothing to do with the heart, but nonetheless she needed that surgery). She is now one week post op and doing wonderfully. So I called my doc back and told him I'm able to continue. At this time he wanted me to make my decision on the Roux-en-y, Lap Band or gastric sleeve. I decided on the gastric sleeve. I am very nervous about choosing this type of surgery. I am scared that if I vomit the force will tear the staples/incision and I will have a leak. Has anyone else had this fear.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member bmiller140's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Bonnie
    Surgery date
    05/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chad Carlton
    Last Activity
    11-17-2014 11:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 163 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 99 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Making the decision

Suggest that you purchase a book that really helped me. You can find it on Amazon. The book is "Weight Loss Surgery: The Real Skinny" by Dr. Nick Nicholson. It is an easy read and very informative. He explains why someone should choose one type of surgery over the other. Also covers the physical and emotional aspects of weight loss surgery.

My surgery is May 29th and I recommend you read all the postings you can on this site. These are great folks who share your dreams and fears.

Good Luck - Bonnie

Name
    Nora Nye
    Surgery date
    12/09/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michael Snyder
    Last Activity
    02-26-2016 08:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 76 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

I started out at the same weight as you although I am a little bit shorter. This was the best decision of my life! I could hardly tie my shoes without huffing and puffing and now I am doing 2 miles on the treadmill without breaking a sweat (okay, maybe a little bit of a sweat) and I just couldn't believe that it would work this well so fast. In fact, my brain is still having a hard time processing it and I am still afraid to take the stairs although I don't have to worry about it any more. It's definitely not easy but so so worth it. My main complaint has been the hair loss that started in the last couple of months which I hope will end soon. Make sure you take Biotin even before the surgery and throughout to avoid too much hair loss. Otherwise, I have no complaints. I still eat tasty food, just a whole lot less and mostly protein instead of carbs. I haven't totally lost the sugar cravings but they have definitely decreased. I'm weaning off of my depression meds because I just don't need them anymore. Plus, I just got my blood work done for my 6 month check-up with the surgeon and I couldn't believe what supremely pristine lab results I had! It is a scary process but I wouldn't trade this experience for anything!

Gastric Sleeve Member idigfrstbase's Avatar
    Name
    Elizabeth
    Surgery date
    03/12/2014
    Surgeon
    O\'Malley
    Last Activity
    03-18-2018 09:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 47 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I was 5'9" and 315. My heaviest as well. I had surgery March 12th. I am down 71lbs. (lost 20 just before surgery). I am running 2 miles 3 days a week and exercising daily. My head is not catching up with the weight loss, I still think I have to wear clothes big.
    I am 50 and this is the breakout year for me. I am excited to be around as long as I can for my grandchildren. Do some research and dig in your heals for the ride of your life. It is a huge decision and the best of luck to you.

Surgery date
    01/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Verseman
    Last Activity
    06-06-2019 07:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 50 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome! This site is a great place to be. I am also just starting my journey. I am 33, and have 2 girls 10 and 7. I know what you mean on every level of what you wrote about. It's time to do something for yourself! Good Luck to you

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Rob
    Surgery date
    01/01/2014
    Surgeon
    Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    05-26-2014 05:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 43 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

welcome and as Bonnie said the book "Weight Loss Surgery: The Real Skinny" by Dr. Nick Nicholson. it is a very informative and might answer some of the questions you have in my case my coordinator and Dr. Quinones were great help because they answered all the questions I had in regards of the surgery I was a little scared about having a leak.

Gastric Sleeve Member Peachybroo's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-15-2015 07:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 317 Times
    Blog Entries

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow! Hopefully you were able to get your questions answered on here and you feel confident about the decision you've made.