Surgeon
    Hawasali
    Last Activity
    10-13-2014 07:31 AM
    Michigan by way of England, Mumbai, Cairo and Boston
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 440 Times in 415 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 829 Times

Default Re: No underlining condition and having VSG.

If the time is right for you, do it. With a BMI of 44 and no comorbidities you'll have an easier time than me at 41 with a BMI of 54.(something) and a list of comorbidities as long as my arm. If the time is right go for it. Yes, every surgery has inherent risks and you should consider those. But remembers that doctors and surgeons can have really sucky bedside manners so don't put all your eggs in their basket.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    01-21-2017 11:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 64 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm 28, and other than weight, was pretty damn fit. I have no health problems whatsoever. I hiked, did step, zumba, mixed martial arts, cardio kickboxing, low weight-high rep work outs, and cycled for fun. The lowest weight I maintained on my own was 209 lbs, doing about a 75%-25% of high-intensity/high impact work out and low impact/high intensity workouts a minimum of 4 days a week. When I became addicted to the gym, I worked out 6 days a week, working out some 10-12 hrs per week (Saturdays were ALWAYS 2.5 hrs) for about 2 years. With the help of phentermine (stimulant, prescription drug), I temporarily dropped 20 more lbs before shooting right up. In summary, I've never been a healthy weight despite my high active lifestyle.

If anything, I would have done this surgery earlier on in my life, although I'm quite younger than you. It's obvious that I didn't have all the tools necessary for a healthy weight, and now this restriction gives me more to work with. I don't agree that surgery is harder than loss and sustaining weight loss on your own, but I don't think it's easy by any means. There are massive psychological challenges that is long term, the physical pain is temporary. Anyway, I see this surgery as why would I wait until I'm older? I want to be young and healthy, growing into a older healthy person. I want to pass on healthy habits to my kids (When I have them), and I don't want my weight to hold me back or make me uncomfortable as it has. Why would I wait until my weight has lead to health problems? I think it's ridiculous that a doctor would judge you in that way. Yes, they should warn you and try to prep you for dealing with the risks after the procedure if you do face them, but it is low risk compared to the cost of obesity and the impact on your quality of life. The quality of my life is PRICELESS to me. Your doc has the right to be concerned; if they weren't, I'd be worried. I'm happy I had the surgery, and I can tell you, 42 lbs definitely makes a difference in how I feel. Good luck with your decision!

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Ferrari
    Last Activity
    07-05-2023 08:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 45 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 83 Times
    Blog Entries

Believe it or not, as heavy as I was, I had no diabetes or high cholesterol, and my blood pressure was always perfect. The weight didn't help the arthritis in my spine, hips, and shoulders, and I suffered from severe depression, but had no traditional comorbidities.

Like so many of us here, I was a champ at losing weight, but a complete failure at keeping it off. You keep up your research and decide for yourself what is best for you. Doctors don't know everything, least of all what it is like to walk in your shoes. Best of success to you.
    highest pre-surgery (2/2013) 419 lbs
    lowest post-surgery (4/2014) 245 lbs
    highest pst-surg regain (1/2020) 362 lbs

"If you have a tire blow-out, do you get out of the car and slash the other three? No, you change the tire and keep going."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12