Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-26-2014 04:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default 36 days to go

In 36 days my husband (38 years old) and I (32 years old) will board a plane and head to Mexico for our gastric sleeve surgeries. We will be leaving behind our 8 and 11 year old daughter, and telling NO ONE what we are doing. We have zero family that live within 1000 miles of us and have asked close friends to watch our kids for weight loss meetings and we were very surprised with all the negative feedback that our friends gave to us. We are afraid that if we tell our parents they will say similar things, and we only need positive things at this point in time. My husband and i are both in the medical field and feel that we have made the right choice, and just don't want to hear a peep about it. HOWEVER as a mom I can't help but feel scared about going to Mexico, and about having surgery without preparing everything for the worst when it comes to my children. Fingers crossed that everything works out perfect and that I will be switching out carbs/candy for skinny jeans in no time at all.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/20/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Robbins
    Last Activity
    06-03-2019 11:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 58 Times

Default Re: 36 days to go

You are doing what is best for you, so don't let anyone try to get into your brain. The best answer you can give anyone that starts giving you negative comments is to tell them if they are so concerned for you, and that you appreciate that concern, but to please do their research on it before they start passing judgements. Unfortunately, there are always people that try to pick apart positives and I feel like it is mainly because they don't understand. The most important thing is that you understand what you are doing and have done your research. I feel sure they won't be saying anything negative about it for long. Good luck and safe travels to you and your husband!

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Kendra
    Surgery date
    05/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    03-15-2015 11:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 27 Times

I totally understand your worry! As a mom to two young boys, I wonder how things will go overall with the surgery too. My husband will be getting it with me as well as the end of May. I have yet to tell my parents as any time I've mentioned that it's something I would be interested in pursuing, I get responses that they think are supportive and they totally aren't. They just don't understand what it's like to live in my body and the things I deal with in regards to my weight. Saying things like "Don't you think you should get your eating under control first?" isn't supportive at all. Fortunately, my inlaws are amazing, understand and are 100% supportive in our journey. We really haven't told anyone else at this time because of what others seems to feel the need to share.

I'm sorry that you've had such rotten feedback from those around you. Just know that you and your husband are making a huge change for your health, life and futures! Your kids will benefit greatly from it!! Best wishes!!

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Quinones
    Last Activity
    01-11-2015 05:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 58 Times

I'm like you no family close by -- sometimes that is a blessing.. I haven't told any family members. or friends. I really don't want to hear anything negative they have to say. I guess I kinda a private person..... I've already been to Mexico for a lap band last year it had to be removed . You will find on this site so many positive remarks about Mexico. And think of it this way -- if ant any time you don't feel safe or comfortable -- you can cancel the surgery. And go home . I'm sure you won't once you meet the staff and doctor performing your surgery.

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member girliegirl777's Avatar
    Name
    Erika
    Surgery date
    09/25/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nguyen
    Last Activity
    09-28-2014 11:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 136 Times in 127 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 150 Times
    Blog Entries

Your trip sounds exciting and adventurous. How nice that you are doing this with your spouse. I have heard so many positives from people who have gone to Mexico. Best wishes!

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    03/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ehab Akkary
    Last Activity
    10-08-2015 09:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 319 Times

It is your body & your decision. Its not up to other people to say what is right or wrong for you. I did prepare for he worst & got my house in order so to speak with legal docs etc. Don't let their negative feedback hinder you. Heavens! If you're in the med field you know what to expect! There are lots of wonderful people here. Turn to us when you need support. All best to you both on your journey!

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Stacy'sSleevedLife's Avatar
    Name
    Stacy
    Surgery date
    02/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 384 Times in 331 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,914 Times
    Blog Entries

I can totally relate.. My family is 1200 miles away from me so when I made the decision to have my surgery in Tijuana January 2013 only my husband and I were the ones that knew what was happening. My husband was 100% on board and supportive since he was the one who mainly did hours and hours of research for months until we both found the surgeon that I was fully comfortable with. I am very happy with who I decided to perform my surgery and my experience was amazing. Wishing you both good luck and a speedy recovery.

Stacy
    Follow my Weight Loss Journey on my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqW...JzJewHgnlCj-Pg

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member gallifreyfallsnomore's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-21-2016 08:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Your husband is VERY proud of you and is very glad to enjoy this adventure with you.