Richards
    Last Activity
    04-08-2012 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 176 Times
    Blog Entries

Question a couple of more questions

down the road after surgery, can I still take advil if I have a headache and will I lower the dose?

what about alcohol, I do not drink but on occasion socially 1-2 is that going to be a no no?

I know there is gas but is there heartburn? do you take medicine to help ease gas pains?

if you go out to eat do you share with you companion or do you order and take home leftovers?

I have so many questions but I want to go into this with my eyes wide open!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    04-18-2015 11:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

Default Re: a couple of more questions

down the road after surgery, can I still take advil if I have a headache and will I lower the dose?

Yes you can and no I wouldn't change the dose BUT ask your medical practitioner or a chemist.

what about alcohol, I do not drink but on occasion socially 1-2 is that going to be a no no?

Yes you can still have a alcoholic drink but remember that alcohol can be quite high in calories as a friend found out. She was having a wine with dinner each night but found out when she stopped having it that it made a big difference to her weight loss.

I know there is gas but is there heartburn? do you take medicine to help ease gas pains?

I never suffered from heartburn before or after my op so cant help you there but I was on medication for reflux which apparently is normal after surgery.

if you go out to eat do you share with you companion or do you order and take home leftovers?

LOL it is the strangest thing going out for a meal after the op especially here in Australia where having BBQ's every weekend is the norm. I personally base on where we are going and how many others are going to be there. If its just hubby and I then I will order a garden salad to munch on and I might have a bit of his meat/fish depending on what he has. If with a group which is normally family and close friends I just have a taster off of everyones plate and everyone is happy with that. For the tiny bit that I take they wont miss plus I get to sample a large range of the menu.

And even though I am new to this forum I am sure that others will say that we are all here to help where ever we can so ask away

Ruth

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/07/2011
    Last Activity
    11-08-2013 04:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 70 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times

Regarding heartburn and stomach acid, a doctor usually has you on prilosec or something similar for 3 to 6 months post-op.

Good luck

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Nancy
    Surgery date
    08/24/2010
    Last Activity
    05-04-2011 01:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 107 Times in 63 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 30 Times

Hi, Some say no to asprin, motrin and advil others say it is okay after six months. I am six months out and have taken asprin and motrin but only after I tried tylenol first. My surgeon said no alcohol for at least 6 months preferably none for a year. The alcohol after surgery hits you faster and harder so becareful the first time you drink. It seems to me that a lot people need to take a PPI (like prilosec) after surgery but for the most part its only for a short time. Me, I had neither gas nor acid probably because I had bought boxes of the stuff preop just in case. I don't like getting a shared plate because I stress too much in my head whether it will be enough food for not, something I need to work on. Sometimes I order my own meal and bring most of it home with me other times my husband will order a dinner salad and I'll order an entree and he'll eat what I don't. I like to check on line to look up the menu if we are going to someplace new so I can plan my meal. Hope this helps

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/07/2011
    Last Activity
    11-08-2013 04:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 70 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times

Drugs that thin your blood are forboden, so no aspirin unless doc says ok, which he won't. The prilosec is to prevent the body from producing acid right now that could complicate the healing of the sleeve.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    02/10/2011
    Last Activity
    04-22-2012 03:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 338 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 90 Times

Well Asprin not only thins the blood but has been known to cause stomach ulcers in high doses, which is obviously something not good for a wounded stomach. Tylenol (Acetaminophen/Paracetamol) is metabolised in the Liver, so in high doses it can do damage to the liver, but following the prescribed amounts, most people are safe. I didn't ask my Nurse about ibuprofen (Advil), since I am fine on paracetamol for pain relief.