Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    05-16-2014 06:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Why did you choose your doctor?

I'm just starting my search and want to know what doctor did you decide to go with in Tijuana and why you choose that doctor over others and how much did they cost? I want real people opinions and thoughts to help guide my own reseach,

Thanks

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Banned
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why did you choose your doctor?

I could write a book on how and why I chose my doctor. I have written a number of informative post on way to research, questions to ask, and advice when it comes to choosing a surgeon, on another forum. If you are interested I could send you the links to them so that you could read and get some ideas. I had surgery in 2012, and then got busy with my work and was off the forums for a long time. One day I jumped back on and was a little bothered by how little research people were doing when choosing their surgeons. While in college I studied to become a homicide detective, after college my life took another direction and for years now I have worked in the technology and internet marketing field. I found that the education and skill set that I received through out my life gave me some huge advantages when it came to wading through all of the information and at times misinformation on wls. So I decided to start making post that would help other people better understand how to research their doctors so that they could make better educated decisions when choosing a surgeon. Back when I had surgery I chose to go with the Santa Fe Medical Group my surgeon was Dr. Sergio Quinones, and I paid $4,000. Personally, as long as you do your research, and make a decision on a surgeon that you are comfortable with, it makes no difference what surgeon you choose...just please please do your research. It is SO important to this process. If you like I can send you links to my posts on the other forum, they give some advice on what to research that I find many people never even thought to research in the first place. Just let me know if you would like the info, and best of luck to you!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Woodchips's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    08-10-2016 11:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times

zmdh39, can you please send me the links to your forum posts re: research. TIA

Gastric Sleeve Member christine53's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    03-01-2015 10:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 84 Times
    Was Thanked 229 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 162 Times
    Blog Entries

He was cheaper than a Doctor in the Usa

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/30/2015
    Surgeon
    corvala
    Last Activity
    08-29-2015 11:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I chose dr corvala at hospital angeles in TJ. I like that fact the surgery is in a full scale real hospital with 100 plus beds and an ER and not a clinic they call a "bariatric hospital." that gives me more piece of mind if something goes wrong and I like being able to recover in a real hospital where the nurses will help me with the recovery process versus being all alone say in the TJ marriot after having a surgery. Dr. Corvala is also the most experienced surgeon in TJ who as taught many of the other surgeons. I'm paying 6500 for the package which appears to be more than the other surgeons in TJ but I believe you get what you pay for and don't want to go cheap on such a serious surgery that could mess one up for life it is botched. Dr corvala and hospital angeles offer the best quality to price ratio in north america in my opinion but i will be able to give a more accurate assessment after I have the surgery. note they just raised their price to 7500.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member thinmeskreamin's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/06/2014
    Surgeon
    dr Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    02-19-2015 10:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 31 Times

I chose alejandro lopez because he worked previously under alm, opened his own company w his wife and is expanding, his reputation was solid. I did a lot of searching for not only good information, but for bad and couldn't find anything derogatory on him or his wife. Price was excellent. All said and done, still in contact w 2 others who had surgery same day, all no complications, all doing well. Best decision ever

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-30-2015 09:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

zmdh39, would you please send me the links to your forum posts as well. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Gastric Sleeve Member newslim2015's Avatar
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jesus M. Lopez
    Last Activity
    02-04-2016 05:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts

QUALITY, PRICE, HIS TEAM, EXPERIENCE, CREDENTIALS, REPUTATION, NUMBER OF SURGERIES DONE IN A DAY, I SKYPE WITH HIM BEFORE SURGERY… STILL DOING IT, I HAVE NUTRITIONIST SUPPORT UP TO 2 YEARS, HE ANWSER ALL THE QUESTION THAT I had and made me feel really comfortable, THEY MOVE YOU FROM SAN DIEGO, TO THE HOSPITAL, THEN TO THEIR RECOVERY HOUSE, THEN BACK TO SAN DIEGO, GREAT STAFF, GREAT PEOPLE, NEVER HAD A COMPLICATION…. My doctor was DR. J. LOPEZ you can find all his info in Bariatric pal.. do your research on them, they also work with other well experienced doctors, they even offer you dental services, among others, they work with an internist … give a them a try…if you need more info, feel free to ask.

Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

I chose my surgeon because:

1. He's an in-network member of my health insurance plan.

2. He had bariatric surgery many years ago, so he understands the uphill battle of being badly overweight on some level and can perhaps empathize with his patients. I can immediately tell when I'm talking to a provider who has never had a weight problem because they lack empathy for the obese and still seem to think overeating is a willpower issue.

(OOPS...forgive me. I didn't realize this post was about surgeons in Tijuana when I submitted the post)

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

Gastric Sleeve Member LuigiHunter's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/20/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lopez
    Last Activity
    07-09-2015 07:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

A good friend of mine that lives in TJ and recommended Dr. Lopez. I did a little research, well a lot, and came across other doctors I even went to consultation with some of them, they where all good. Butt Lopez was very down to earth, I liked that about him. He gave me a good vibe.