08/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Garcia
    Last Activity
    02-26-2016 01:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Re: Having the surgery at a younger age?

Hello!

I was 25 when I had my surgery about a week into August. I mean, we don't have 16 year old metabolism but it still hasn't quite hit the big slow down, so being younger still works in your advantage that way, I suppose. I'm around 20lbs from my goal weight (it's got the number of days on my ticker, I don't feel like doing math) but either way, i'll probably hit my goal by around my year anniversary or a little after it.

I don't feel like i've lost a lot of muscle mass (I drink the premier protein shakes religiously--mostly because i'm lazy and that's the easiest way to get my protein). I don't really know how to gauge it, but I don't feel any difference in my ability to do the muscle related things I could do before (heavy bags of dog and horse feed/throwing hay bales etc...)

Skin issue is a-okay. I didn't carry a lot of my weight in my stomach, so i'm not really dealing with any loose skin there (some stretch mark shenanigans on that trouble lower stomach area though). My triceps could use some attention, so here's hoping that Hot Yoga is my friend and takes care of those. Sidenote: Cerave, my favorite skincare line in the entire universe, has a stretch mark cream, so I've been using that. Also, I started using this french ointment called A313 on my scars and stretch marks (If you've heard Avibon that Gwenyth Paltrow namechecked on her site, this is the closest formulation to that available)

Hair Loss? Okay. Here's the bummer (and this is partially my fault for being a bit of an overreacter). I had thick, lonnnnnng (20ish inches) hair when I first had my surgery. But at the 4ish month mark (as warned) I started getting the clumps of it coming out. I'd guess that I lost about a third of the thickness. I ended up getting a Pixish crop just so I wouldn't have to deal with the super long hair in the shower and to give my scalp a break from the pressure of the long, heavy hair. Frankly, I had been thinking about going short for a while and this gave me the boost I needed. If I had wanted to stay with my long hair, It would've been possible...that was just the decision I chose. Just take your supplements, don't freak out, get your protein and maybe do a coconut oil mask every week or so.

I'll also add that young or old, the better shape you're in before, the more quickly you recover. So that tends to help most younger people as, even though we're in a position to get the surgery, we still are a bit more mobile than if we were our exact weight 30 years down the road....

Good luck, i'm sure you'll be fine!
    Courage, dear heart.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member bonnie1702's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Bonnie
    Surgery date
    08/01/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-28-2014 02:00 PM
    Said "Thanks" 128 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

My name's Bonnie too and if you're located in Atlanta we're not even an hour away from one another! lol :-) Message me and we'll talk. I haven't had my surgery yet.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Denise
    Surgery date
    04/21/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Naik
    Said "Thanks" 300 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,048 Times

Quote Originally Posted by hydrangea View Post
    I'm 21 and just had my surgery on Monday 4/21 and have already lost 15 pounds.
    I also had mine on Monday , I gained 5 lbs the next day of surgery. Will weigh my self tomorrow .

4/21/14 day of surgery 231.5 lbs
    4/22/14 day after surgery 235.5 lbs

****1st goal 199 lbs **** 10/20/14

****2nd goal 175 lbs

****final goal 150 lbs

Name
    Shannon
    Surgery date
    02/25/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. O. Raphael Nwanguma
    Last Activity
    10-13-2015 01:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 94 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 430 Times

I'm 32, bit older than you I know, but my doc still told me I was young and my skin would bounce back more so than a middle aged woman getting the surgery. I had no nausea, was back to work in a week (Unit clerk so sit down mostly) 2 months our 40lbs down, no complications with anything I've eaten so far. You should have great results at your age. Good luck!

Highest pre-surgery weight= 306lbs
    Weight at last pre-op Dr visit= 304lbs
    Weight day after surgery= 310lbs
    Lowest adult weight= 199lbs
    5/17/14- Passed the 50lb mark

Name
    Megan
    Surgery date
    01/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ragui Sadek
    Last Activity
    06-22-2014 11:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 48 Times in 42 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm 21, but I was 20 when I had my surgery done on Jan 3rd of this year. I'm 4 months out today and feel absolutely amazing. I'm down 65 lbs as of yesterday and have never felt better. For the first 2-3 weeks post op, I was in very little physical pain but I was incredibly weak. By one month out it was like I never even had surgery. It's not easy but I can say with certainty that it is SO worth it!! Best of luck to you!
    Appt with PCP: 9/5/2013
    First Consultation with Surgeon: 9/12/2013

SURGERY DATE: 1/3/2014

"And how does one become a butterfly?" she asked pensively. "You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar."

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents