Surgeon
    Dr. Phillip Leggett
    Last Activity
    11-11-2015 05:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 106 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 45 Times

Default Working Out

So this Friday 4/25/14 I meet with my nut for my 2nd of 6 visits for my medically supervised diet. This last month my primary focus has been on weening off of soda and building a consistent workout schedule. I have been successful with this thus far. I am not completly off of soda, but what I can say is I have dropped Coke and when I do have one it's a 7UP or Sprite. Maybe twice a week. Sometimes I have a Vitamin Water, those are okay. I have increased my water consumption A LOT especially with my workouts. At first I was just going to the park for liesurely strolls or the gym in my apartments. These last 2 weeks I decided I was going to go to Planet Fitness and join, which I did. I love it there. Surprisingly, because in the past I was not fond of the big gyms at all. Probably because I always felt like the fattest person in the gym and was super self concious of my appearance. I guess I am over that because I could care less if someone is watching me. The way I see it now is I am in here trying to do the same things you guys are. Anyway, I work out at 5am so that I can get my workouts in before work for 1 hour and then a 10 minute cool down/strech. ( also so I won't have room for excuses with myself about not having the time Currently I am just walking on the treadmill at a speed of 2.6 and incline of 5. I'm feeling really good about this. Next month my goal is to start switching up to the elyptical some days. After work today I am going to Academy or Walmart to purchase some 3 or 5 pound dumbells. I really want to work on building toned lean muscles in my arms. I have really big arms and I am super concerned about having loose skin and flabby arms after the surgery once weight starts to drop quickly. I want to have some definition under there . What I am most excited about it that my body is responding to the workouts. What I mean is that even before my alarm goes off, my brain wakes me up and my body feels like it's time to get up and work out...so the habit is well underway of developing. I just hope that my relationship with food catches up to my activity level. In my history of dieting, working out was never the issue.....it was always THE FOOD.

Highest Weight: 324
    Pre-Op Consult: 314
    End of Pre-Op Diet: 298
    Day of Surgery: 298
    1st Post Op Visit: 288.5 (-25.5)

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Stephanie
    Surgery date
    08/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Ben-David
    Last Activity
    01-09-2015 09:50 PM
    Grew up in Miami Fl now in Gainesville Fl
    Said "Thanks" 301 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 155 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Working Out

This is what I have been doing, well the getting off soda thing.. Diet Coke to be exact.. Also the sugar (icecream, candies anything sugar) Its been so hard. I also told myself that tomorrow I am going back to the gym. Need to start getting into better shape before surgery, especially the core. Good luck to you!! Your 6 months will be up before you know it. Oh I am at the end of month 3 of 3 of the nutrition counseling. I hope to have a date very soon, or I will cry!

Gastric Sleeve Member mrskennedy2000's Avatar
    Name
    Shawnna
    Surgery date
    09/30/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Phillip Leggett
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 106 Times

Oh yes, I totally understand because I too really like sugar! To combat it a little, when I go to the grocery store I make sure that I am NOT hungry when I shop. That's a recipe for disaster for me lol. So I try to not purchase the goodies I normally would. I have been trying to get my sugar needs meet with fruit because I actually love fruit. And at work instead in my office I have candy jars....but I have filled them with LifeSavers mints versus chocolates lol....this has helped some! Well I am sending positive energy and encouragement your way in regards to your workouts and impending surgery! Thanks for the well wishes.....I can't wait to have a date!

Surgery date
    08/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chung
    Last Activity
    02-08-2016 12:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 76 Times
    Was Thanked 149 Times in 131 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,381 Times
    Blog Entries

Well congrats on going to the gym! That's a huge step....I know I was scared the first time and kept my head down, now I have gym friends! Who would have ever thought that

It's awesome that you are doing your cardio I stuck to the elliptical like a crazy person the first few months then I got bored and switched it up a bit and do classes (spin, zumba, groove). I also do the Jamie Eason plan. I will attach the link. It's free and tells you exactly what to do starting with day one. The workouts are perfect for us who are starting out slow and need to build up the muscles hidden behind our flab. I actually feel like I have a plan everyday.

Good luck to you!

Bodybuilding.com - Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer - Phase 1: Building Muscle - Bodybuilding.com

Gastric Sleeve Member Flipflops's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Simchuk
    Last Activity
    01-23-2020 10:43 AM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 107 Times in 105 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 148 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the link Kacie! I may be able to do this on the days I don't go to the gym.

Shawnna, congrats on your progress. Giving up soda wasn't so hard for me. I'd only have 1 or 2 a month. My GP Dr. told me years ago that carbonation is not good for your bones and zaps calcium from them, so I haven't had that problem, but know it's a tough one. Hope you get your date soon.

Highest weight - 254
    Day of Surgery - 245
    1 month: 22 lb. loss (232)
    2 month: 12 lb. loss (220)
    3 month: 12 lb. loss (208)
    4 month: 7 lb. loss (201)
    5 month: 5 lb. loss (196)
    6 month: 7 lb. loss (189)
    7 month: 7 lb. loss (182)
    8 month: 5 lb. loss (177)
    Goal: 150

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member mrskennedy2000's Avatar
    Name
    Shawnna
    Surgery date
    09/30/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Phillip Leggett
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 106 Times

Kacie77, thank you so much! I plan on doing exactly what you are saying a little further the line too. I know I will soon get bored with this basic cardio but it's working for now as far as getting my body conditioned and used to working out. I took a look at your link, again thanks for sharing. I am going to use this also.