Surgery date
    04/23/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brebbia
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 28 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Do any of you have funny neighbors?

A few months ago I blogged about my neighbor who is heavier than me and very concerned with me having this surgery. I told her about it because we are both in the same boat and I thought he would be as excited as I was about the possibilities. She has a freind who had GBP surgery and is now sick all the time or something. Anyway, this surgery is so on her mind. Really kind of funny. She doesn't mean any harm. She, is always trying to find out if and when I have had the surgery. Everytime I speak to her she is trying to talk me out of having the surgery. She asked my husband the other day to let her know if I need anything after the surgery just to call her she would come and be with me if I need her. I told my husband absolutely not! I also told him not to be talking to her about the surgery, he said, she approached him about it. I had to laugh. We have a very different work schedule, and we have a weird relationship. The next time I see her I am going to say to her, "go ahead and let them cut cha" LOL, I say that to my husband. She is thinking about the surgery more than me. I tell you, I heard a quote a while back "people are the strangest animals in the barn" so funny. My friends that have the most to gain from WLS are the very ones that are trying to convince me not to have it. All I can say is crabs in a bucket.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Taisha
    Surgery date
    05/19/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Adam Smith
    Last Activity
    12-14-2015 06:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 570 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do any of you have funny neighbors?

i like your sayings. my niece needs to have wls she has 2 small children and she is heavier tan i am. but she doesn't think i need it she tells me just to workout. i was kind of upset with her because i told her she needs to work out (funny thing she said i'm tired ) at least i'm doing something about my situation to make me healthier. the sad thing is that her children who are 5 and 7 are ashamed of her because she does nothing to improve her self or body. just thought i share lol

Name
    Katie
    Surgery date
    05/01/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    06-10-2019 10:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Funny you should mention this!

I am very blessed with a great support system, but it's been a little funny with my female friends. The one friend who I was sceptical in telling is over the moon excited and has even offered to come down with me to be my support buddy so my husband can stay home and hold down the fort. She is amazing, she has never had a weight issue, she's a tall leggy beautiful blonde but she is super understanding and supportive. Now my other super close friend who I expected to be the MOST supportive is being the most negative. She has fought the same weight battle for her whole life, just like me, and I've known her my whole life. She isn't being down right mean about it, just very passive aggressive. I mentioned how nice it would be to see my confidence get a boost, and she says "not neccesarily, I know lots of people who have lost huge amounts of weight and still feel like crap about themselves". REALLY? Where are these people? I highly doubt there are people in the world who have gotten healthy and not felt ANY better about themselves. Such crap!

Haters gonna hate, I guess. It's just disheartening to think that 27 years of friendship was held together by mutual fatness.

Gastric Sleeve Member Geordie lass's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    04/23/2014
    Surgeon
    Mr James Halstead
    Last Activity
    09-22-2018 11:21 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times

Quote Originally Posted by trhaye3 View Post
    A few months ago I blogged about my neighbor who is heavier than me and very concerned with me having this surgery. I told her about it because we are both in the same boat and I thought he would be as excited as I was about the possibilities. She has a freind who had GBP surgery and is now sick all the time or something. Anyway, this surgery is so on her mind. Really kind of funny. She doesn't mean any harm. She, is always trying to find out if and when I have had the surgery. Everytime I speak to her she is trying to talk me out of having the surgery. She asked my husband the other day to let her know if I need anything after the surgery just to call her she would come and be with me if I need her. I told my husband absolutely not! I also told him not to be talking to her about the surgery, he said, she approached him about it. I had to laugh. We have a very different work schedule, and we have a weird relationship. The next time I see her I am going to say to her, "go ahead and let them cut cha" LOL, I say that to my husband. She is thinking about the surgery more than me. I tell you, I heard a quote a while back "people are the strangest animals in the barn" so funny. My friends that have the most to gain from WLS are the very ones that are trying to convince me not to have it. All I can say is crabs in a bucket.
    Hey, you have your surgery on the same day as me! Good luck with your recovery. I hope everything goes well for you. I am sooooo excited about getting this surgery done now and dropping those pounds. Neighbours are funny aren't they?! I am quite lucky with mine. I live in the country in the middle of nowhere so only have two neighbours for miles!!! Both are good! M x
    Initial consult (6 March 2014) - 250lbs (had already lost 7lbs prior to this consultation!)
    Start of official pre op diet (16 April 2014) - 245lbs
    Day of surgery (23 April 2014) - 239lbs
    1 Mth post op (23 May 2014) - 215lbs
    2 Mths post op (23 June 2014) - 199lbs
    3 Mths post op (23 July 2014) - 190lbs
    18 Mths post op (23 October 2015) - 140lbs

Name
    T.Haye
    Surgery date
    04/23/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brebbia
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

LOL,mutual fatness? That is funny. I have a freind like yours but I was small 140lbs when we first met 28 years ago, then I gained now I want to get back to normal and she says she is supportive but I can feel it,and hear it in the things shes says,it passive aggressive behavior. I LOVE MY FRIEND BUT, WHATEVER!!

mention this!

I am very blessed with a great support system, but it's been a little funny with my female friends. The one friend who I was sceptical in telling is over the moon excited and has even offered to come down with me to be my support buddy so my husband can stay home and hold down the fort. She is amazing, she has never had a weight issue, she's a tall leggy beautiful blonde but she is super understanding and supportive. Now my other super close friend who I expected to be the MOST supportive is being the most negative. She has fought the same weight battle for her whole life, just like me, and I've known her my whole life. She isn't being down right mean about it, just very passive aggressive. I mentioned how nice it would be to see my confidence get a boost, and she says "not neccesarily, I know lots of people who have lost huge amounts of weight and still feel like crap about themselves". REALLY? Where are these people? I highly doubt there are people in the world who have gotten healthy and not felt ANY better about themselves. Such crap!

Haters gonna hate, I guess. It's just disheartening to think that 27 years of friendship was held together by mutual fatness.[/QUOTE]

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    T.Haye
    Surgery date
    04/23/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brebbia
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey, that is way cool. I am so busy that I don't have much time to think about it, and excited all at the same time. Let's keep eachother in prayer and pray for your surgical team,they need prayer even if the don't think they do. God Bless

am quite lucky with mine. I live in the country in the middle of nowhere so only have two neighbours for miles!!! Both are good! M x[/QUOTE]

Surgery date
    01/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gluck
    Last Activity
    11-28-2015 06:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 49 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 202 Times
    Blog Entries

The ones that have the same weight issues as us and are supposed to be our friends, relatives, or spouse may suffer from another friend called the Green Eyed Monster (jealousy).

Gastric Sleeve Member christine53's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    03-01-2015 10:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 84 Times
    Was Thanked 229 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 162 Times
    Blog Entries

I lost friends of 20 yrs cause they thought I was crazy and stupid. Well my health meant more to me than my friendship I guess, cause I am skinny and they still fat! I still love me and they hate the way they look. I just keep smiling

Gastric Sleeve Member ruckus0712's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/12/2014
    Surgeon
    dr almanza
    Last Activity
    10-14-2015 03:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

I find alot of negativity from those who need to follow this same path but lack the courage to even understated why have made this life changing decision.

Gastric Sleeve Member ellymae71281's Avatar
    Name
    Elly
    Surgery date
    12/31/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jeffery Baker
    Last Activity
    11-22-2014 10:09 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

I have been very open about having had my surgery...That being said, my neighbors are funny too, but for different reasons.
    One neighbor came outside just to yell out, "Looking good!!"
    Another one saw me outside and just was very interested in how I lost the weight, I told him I had surgery, and he was just like "it was totally worth it! You look great! If I was younger, your husband would have to be watching out for me!!"
    And my other neighbor is now thinking about having the surgery.

I have a great grouping of neighbors

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Sounds to me like your over weight friend just doesn't want to be the only fat girl in tge trio. I get that. So maybe she needs to deal with HER issue on HER own and not be jealous of you for taking control of your life.
    I remember your post from before. I also told you my neighbor had the lapband. She and her husband did. She was so excited for me. Well, she saw me for the 1st time yesterday and said "is that you?? There is no way that sexy beast is you!! Look at you strut!! Omg, the transformation is incredible!". That made me feel really good. When I walked off she yelled "strut girl, strut!!".

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

Name
    T.Haye
    Surgery date
    04/23/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brebbia
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I like your neighbors too. : D they are way cool.

Quote Originally Posted by ellymae71281 View Post
    I have been very open about having had my surgery...That being said, my neighbors are funny too, but for different reasons.
    One neighbor came outside just to yell out, "Looking good!!"
    Another one saw me outside and just was very interested in how I lost the weight, I told him I had surgery, and he was just like "it was totally worth it! You look great! If I was younger, your husband would have to be watching out for me!!"
    And my other neighbor is now thinking about having the surgery.

I have a great grouping of neighbors

Name
    T.Haye
    Surgery date
    04/23/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brebbia
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

You know all your hard work pain a suffering if you had any was and is well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by jessiejess View Post
    Sounds to me like your over weight friend just doesn't want to be the only fat girl in tge trio. I get that. So maybe she needs to deal with HER issue on HER own and not be jealous of you for taking control of your life.
    I remember your post from before. I also told you my neighbor had the lapband. She and her husband did. She was so excited for me. Well, she saw me for the 1st time yesterday and said "is that you?? There is no way that sexy beast is you!! Look at you strut!! Omg, the transformation is incredible!". That made me feel really good. When I walked off she yelled "strut girl, strut!!".

Name
    Sara
    Surgery date
    05/16/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Steven Clark
    Last Activity
    03-17-2015 07:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times

I had a similar reaction from my family, my dad and stepmom in particular. We waited to tell them a couple months into our journey because we didn't want to deal with the negativity and firing squad that would come with it. My husband, friend and I are doing this together but my husband got to skip the insurance required 6 month weight loss program through my employer and have his surgery because of his health we decided to let them know because he was starting his pre op diet at Thanksgiving. They would have noticed. So we told them, my dad didn't say anything but my stepmom told me repeatedly it was stupid, when I asked her to explain herself she couldn't. Then the day after my husbands surgery they came to visit him, he had the Gastric Bypass, and they took me to dinner. My stepmom tried telling me horror stories she heard from the social worker at the hospital she works for, I told her I didn't want to hear it but she told me anyway. Supposedly she actually went and talked to this lady at their bariatric center (the hospital she works for) and she told her to tell me not to do it, blah blah blah. Well it didn't change my mind. The stuff she actually brought up is stuff I have already talked to my surgeon about, he's reassured me and I feel confident in him. He did a wonderful job with my husband, I have no doubts.

Oh and my stepmom, now that I have lost some weight, she is bigger than me now, and after she kept telling me it was stupid to have the surgery I told her "No, it's stupid to NOT do anything about it".

Name
    Tosha
    Surgery date
    08/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. DiBenedetto
    Last Activity
    11-29-2016 12:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times
    Blog Entries

My problem wasnt a neighbor but my little sister and her husband. i told everyone as soon as i was certian i was having the surgery. Well they came to visit me the 2nd day i came home from the hospital. i was excited cause i thought everyone was there to support me and see how i was doing. boy was i so wrong. short story i cried for 2 days after her visit. i didnt cry cause she made me feel bad about doing it i cried cause i thought she would want me around longer. I think thier issue was the fact that i might get smaller than her and then she would look bad. I am not the heaviest of my sisters and brother, but i was the 2nd. and i'm already smaller than 3 of my sisters i only have 2 more to go and my brother. The most support actually came from my very tiny sister(who no matter what i do will never be smaller than). Shes the best!!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter