Surgeon
    Shin
    Last Activity
    09-16-2014 10:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Red face Converting from gastric banding to gastric sleeve

Hello, I had a Lap-band implanted in 2012. I am a nurse and spent hours researching and learning about the procedure. I knew the risks and it sounded reasonable. I wasn't prepared for the complications that I had, despite what I learned. I developed an infection in the port incision post-op. After completing a course of antibiotics, the infection healed. When the doc went to do my initial fill, he could not access my port in the office. We scheduled at the hospital for adjustment under fluoroscopy. While seeing your spine and device like an x-ray is pretty cool, I did not get good news. My port had flipped - something I had not fathomed happening - and he could not add fluid. Surgery #2 to revise the port. Incision infection #2, round of antibiotics #2. I have had 2 C-sections without issue, so the repeated infections are odd to me.

By this point, it has been 4 months since my initial surgery placing the band and still no restriction. Next come the office visits to add fluid - wait 2 hours, spend 5 minutes with doc and on to the next month. The first few fills I felt no restriction (although I did learn the hard way a few off limit foods!) - although I could eat more than I should at one sitting, I could not lay down due to coughing and gagging - even brushing my teeth triggers gagging fits. Doc ordered tests and found my gallbladder was not working correctly, so surgery #3. Guess what happened next? Infection and antibiotic round #3! By now I am seriously disheartened and depressed, have not lost weight in months because I have taken to swallowing whatever is easiest to keep down. My next fill took me from feeling little restriction to not keeping down water - went back to doc and he determined that my port had flipped for a second time - he wanted to do another revision and to stabilize with mesh (another foreign object!). He didn't listen to my issues, rather he chose to lecture me about eating correctly. I decided that I needed a second opinion - my doc only did banding so I wondered if he wasn't biased about the alternative options. I wondered if I could be rejecting the band - he did an EGD and said it was in a good place and wanted to do the 4th operation.

I called and went to see my current surgeon, Dr. Shin. He told me that sometimes people are a "hard-fill" and don't ever hit the sweet spot. He said some people just can't tolerate the band. We discussed options and decided to convert to the gastric sleeve. My insurance required 6 months of appointments for diet monitoring as well as a dietician and psychology assessment - I actually went through this twice for the band because I ended up pregnant with my daughter after I had a pre-op apt scheduled and had to repeat the entire process. It has been a long road and the closer I get the more I am worried. Food has been my self-medication for years - I suspect the hardest part is going to be the mental aspect - after all that's what has stopped me before. Open to any advice and suggestions regarding adapting
    Life isn't measured by the breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    08/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Hawasali
    Last Activity
    10-13-2014 07:31 AM
    Michigan by way of England, Mumbai, Cairo and Boston
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 440 Times in 415 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 829 Times

Default Re: Converting from gastric banding to gastric sleeve

Welcome. There are a lot of people who have had a revision and can give you insights into that, which I can't. I'm sorry you had all those problems with your band and I don't blame you for wanting to ditch it in favor of something with a higher success rate. Bear in mind that complications happen from any surgery, so you're not guaranteed to be out of the woods.

Our sleeves are a tool - you still have to do the hard work to change your relationship with food. There are four keys to this lifestyle - and it is permanent: protein, water, exercise, attitude. If you commit to those each day you will have success.

Good luck with everything upcoming and keep us posted.

Gastric Sleeve Member rxtech932002's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/26/2014
    Surgeon
    dr. Robert Shin
    Last Activity
    10-29-2014 08:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

I had the sleeve with Dr. Shin in Feb 2014. You will learn to adapt cause you will feel restriction. Im a month out and have lost 29 lbs.

Surgery date
    03/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ehab Akkary
    Last Activity
    10-08-2015 09:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 319 Times

Hi & welcome. I'm also in WV. I had a great surgeon with a long track record of success. If I can be of help don't hesitate to PM me. All best to you!