Surgeon
    Dr. Verseman
    Last Activity
    08-14-2011 12:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default staying ahead of the game

how do you avoid the extra skin after the surgery? is there something you can do ahead of time to be more preprared? when and what kind of exercise do you start off with to assist in the weight loss after the surgery. my breast, arms and stomach areas concern me. afraid of the excess skin

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    07/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Follwell
    Said "Thanks" 328 Times
    Was Thanked 89 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 203 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: staying ahead of the game

I was told it depends on how much weight you have to loose and how old you are. The younger you are the more elastic your skin is and will compensate some with the weight loss. However, the more weight you have to loose, there isn't a lot you can do to prevent the saggy skin but plastic surgery. I know some exercising will help but not totally compensate. Good luck.

Gastric Sleeve Member michelleb's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    09/16/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Aceves
    Last Activity
    06-12-2016 11:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 537 Times
    Was Thanked 572 Times in 521 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,488 Times
    Blog Entries

Many years ago (in the '90s) I lost about 75 lbs. Clearly I weighed less than I do now. I had a breast lift and tummy tuck done because I was literally skin and bones then. It was the best thing I had ever done. Without going off track as to how/why I regained the weight and more, I will absolutely have the surgery again if I can. First would be the tummy tuck as my scar stretched pretty badly when I was pregnant. I'll see what it looks like a year down the road. This surgery should be paid off by then.

Back to your question, I was solid muscle with a BMI of about 19. I worked out with a trainer almost daily but that excess skin was not going to go anywhere unless it was cut off.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    lgoody36
    Surgery date
    08/24/2011
    Surgeon
    Park
    Last Activity
    10-25-2015 11:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

Extra skin was my concern early on so I asked my surgeon for suggestions on ways to avoid it as much as I possible. I was informed also that it depends on Age, how much weight you have to lose etc. However, she did suggest moisturizing and exercise and said some saggy skin may or may not tighten back up after time. So when I started my journey 4 months ago,I started to SUPER moisturize Every morning in the shower I lather, rinse, exfoliate with my cocoa butter body scrub(I add a bit of vitamin E oil in scrub) rinse off scrub and apply baby oil(with Shea and cocoa butter in it)that you apply in the shower then rinse off. I get out the shower, dry off(your skin will be somewhat moist but not oily)apply Vitamin E oil and cocoa butter lotion. I have only lost 16 pounds so far, so only time will tell. I still continue this regimen everyday. I don't know if it will work but I sure will keep you posted!!