Surgeon
    Dr. Newlin
    Last Activity
    06-22-2016 04:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Default What if it doesn't work?

So maybe this is a silly question, because it seems as though the sleeve "works" for everyone.

I have tried every diet out there - Atkins, South Beach, Weight Watchers, Medifast, Slim-Fast, Nutrisystem, Special K, and a few others that i don't remember. I've tried multiple prescription pills and supplements - Hydroxycut, Sensa sprinkles, Qsymia, Phentermine, SlimQuick, etc. I'm sure I don't have to list everything as many of you have surely tried all these things as well.

I guess my concern, because of past experiences, is...what if it doesn't work? Nothing else ever did...

I think this is more mental than practical, because I can see many of you losing amazing amounts of weight, and I've read a ton of journal articles regarding the weight loss, and KNOW it's next to impossible NOT to lose weight. I'm just scared, and almost in disbelief. I have been overweight for SO long, I can't even imagine something actually working! I don't even remember what I look like without carrying this extra weight around.

Maybe I just need some therapy

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-20-2024 01:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times
    Was Thanked 504 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 231 Times

Default Re: What if it doesn't work?

I have the same fears at times. I'm getting sleeved in about two weeks. I'm relying on the sleeve, the inspirational stories and pictures on this forum and any encouragement I may need.

"Lee, by "own it!" your daughter means that you should be proud of your accomplishment and understand that you deserve this. Not because you have to pay it forward or backward to justify your own benefits. She means that this is YOUR accomplishment, and accomplishing that for yourself is enough. You do not have to fix everybody. And you do not owe anyone for the benefits you have earned. They are YOURS!" Ann2

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    08/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Hawasali
    Last Activity
    10-13-2014 07:31 AM
    Michigan by way of England, Mumbai, Cairo and Boston
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 440 Times in 415 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 829 Times

Hello Renee

I had much the same fears as you. There ARE people who experience less loss than others, and people who do have complications so I speak for the majority of weight loss patients. The sleeve process works as a tool. You'll have a lot smaller stomach and in that process will also remove all or more of the hormone that tells you you're hungry (grehlin). These things work in your favor.

The rest is up to you. If you remember the four basics (protein, water, exercise, attitude), barring medical complications, you will lose weight. It's almost a foregone conclusion. You need all four to be successful. I recommit to my sleeve each and every day. You also have to forgive yourself when you do things you think you "shouldn't."

The medical reasons for the surgery and the outcomes for most of us are worth the worry that the procedure might not "work". I am living, breathing proof of that. I started at a lot higher weight than you and I'm absolutely thrilled with my progress. I've come to terms with the fact that it's going to take a long time to get to the weight I want to be at (I'm short and have a tiny frame). That's why I set small, obtainable goals each and every day. That's part of my key.

I also want to remind you that when you stall 2-3 weeks out it's going to be horrible. I'm not going to lie - you''re probably feel like a looser, a failure etc. The stall coincides with rapid release of hormones and the two make for a really crappy start. Just trust me that it will pass. Be kind to your body, your mind and your spirit and things will all work out.

Best of luck to you, and keep us updated1

Name
    Dwayne
    Surgery date
    01/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bacal
    Last Activity
    02-14-2016 06:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 239 Times
    Was Thanked 281 Times in 239 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,189 Times
    Blog Entries

No the sleeve does not work for everyone. Nor does all of those who lose weight lose their goal weightloss. Most surgeons will report that only a percentage (60%) of their patients keep the majority of weight lossed - off long term. That said, ask your surgeon what is the success rate for his/her patients having this procedure?

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Bombshell2Be's Avatar
    Name
    Erren
    Surgery date
    05/01/2013
    Surgeon
    John Gonzalez
    Last Activity
    05-04-2020 11:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 77 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 81 Times
    Blog Entries

I think it works if you do what you're supposed to do! It's not the cure all, and you have to be committed to staying on track! I have two co-workers that had the gastric bypass and sleeve, and are both gaining their weight back! I have seen them eating donuts and pizza and soda in the break room, and it makes me sad! It also scares the crap out of me because it makes me very aware of what can happen if you get off track!.. I am determined to never go back! I feel like I am worth the effort it takes to stay healthy! Good Luck to you!

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member JustWantToBeHealthyAgain's Avatar
    Name
    Katherine
    Surgery date
    12/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. DiBenedetto
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 143 Times in 133 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

You will lose the weight as long as you make good dietary choices. Exercise definitely helps as well.

Simply put, you can't just eat crap all day. Now, you still have to make good choices but the sleeve makes it a LOT easier to make good choices, at least, I find that it does. I still don't get hungry and my cravings are not there so I find it easier to say "okay, I'll just have a healthy choice, not something I used to eat."

People who don't have WLS work for them (provided that the surgeon did it correctly of course, lol) are those who fail to change their habits.

BTW, I've found, if I don't eat very well or enough, I feel like crap. I have learned to love healthy foods because those make me feel good, so I like them now.

Name
    Stephanie
    Surgery date
    08/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Ben-David
    Last Activity
    01-09-2015 09:50 PM
    Grew up in Miami Fl now in Gainesville Fl
    Said "Thanks" 301 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 155 Times
    Blog Entries

I have the same fears, especially lately. Many people posting alot of negative (for lack of a better word) stuff on this site on how they are hungry all the time, not losing weight, buyers remorse and the most recent the staple tear. I mean we need to hear the bad also but its seems that most everyone that has been sleeved that its butterflies and rainbow experiences. I think to myself, What if I am the ones that does not have a good experience and I have regret. Oh its so much to weigh out.. The good vers the bad.. Good luck to you

Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    08/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Hawasali
    Last Activity
    10-13-2014 07:31 AM
    Michigan by way of England, Mumbai, Cairo and Boston
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 440 Times in 415 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 829 Times

Katherine makes excellent points. I also want to mention that she's one of the lucky ones who almost never feel hunger. I'd love to know what it was like to remind myself I have to eat lol. My point is that everyone is different and you won't know what your body is going to do until you go through it. There are people who lose less than they want, but the vast majority are still much healthier after the surgery.

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    12/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Nick Nicholson
    Last Activity
    01-25-2018 04:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Find out why people fail, and then ask yourself if you can be compliant. Roughly a third of us will not succeed in the long-term. It's just a tool, and it's up to you to use it correctly.

I bet the statistics will quickly increase to half not succeeding in the long-term as the surgery becomes more pervasive.

I am thirteen months out from surgery, the honeymoon is over... and I struggle to not put on weight every day. I have succeeded thus far, but it's work!

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    12/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Nick Nicholson
    Last Activity
    01-25-2018 04:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

BTW, I have a friend who got the sleeve, lost 15 pounds, and then put on over forty. She is non-compliant in every way. It is not automatic.

16. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-20-2024 01:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times
    Was Thanked 504 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 231 Times

That is so horrifying!

"Lee, by "own it!" your daughter means that you should be proud of your accomplishment and understand that you deserve this. Not because you have to pay it forward or backward to justify your own benefits. She means that this is YOUR accomplishment, and accomplishing that for yourself is enough. You do not have to fix everybody. And you do not owe anyone for the benefits you have earned. They are YOURS!" Ann2

Gastric Sleeve Member ProHeadhunter's Avatar
    Name
    Christine
    Surgery date
    12/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Valerie Halpin
    Last Activity
    02-02-2017 10:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times
    Blog Entries

I am sure if you look back four months you will see a post titled the same by me. I asked my doctor the same question and she said it works for everyone. It does. I tried EVERY diet known to man. I couldn't lose weight. It was not moving. Even with working out six days a week for four months. I only lost 8 pounds. This works. This is the only thing that worked for me. I would do it again and again. I would tell every fat person who has struggled "this is the answer". I have had moments where I wanted to kiss the ground in thanks for my sleeve. Not only have a lost the weight (I am not done) but it has given me so much back that I didn't know I had lost or was missing. Pieces of myself, my life, my family, my marriage. All of these things will be impacted for the better. You will be amazed. It's fantastic. Not regrets. I am a slow loser and I have ZERO regrets. It's the best thing ever. It 's better then getting a new car, a new house, or having a baby. It's YOU.

However, it won't work if you eat bad food. There are ways to cheat and it's easy to get sucked into the cheating if you lack commitment. If you eat empty calorie foods- potatoes, chips, candy, cookies, cake, sugary drinks...etc. You won't lose weight. In the beginning you will because you're eating so much less then what you used to eat but eventually, it will catch up with you. I have read here where people test the limits of their sleeves. IT's not about testing the limits- to see how much you can eat. I wonder why these people- whether it be the cheaters or the limit pushers, decided to get the surgery. If you're going to cheat right out of the gate then why bother. If you want it, it will work for you. It's an AMAZING tool to be respected.

Today is December 10, 2013
    Starting Weight: 251
    Surgery Day Weight: 242
    First Goal: 199 by March 27
    {Update 207 March 27}
    Second Goal 175 by June 30th
    Ultimate goal- 165.

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Nathan
    Surgery date
    02/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Igal Breitman
    Last Activity
    10-06-2015 03:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 224 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 393 Times
    Blog Entries

I think the sleeve works best for people who eat too much food. Not just sweats, but too much food. It forces you (at first for sure) to eat small portions. Now, you could still eat 3 ounces of fudge six times a day and still gain weight. A lot of doctors will push you toward the bypass if you are a sweats person, because they have dumping that teaches you not to do that.

Regardless, you need a plan, and you need to stick to that plan.

Name
    Candi
    Surgery date
    11/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Paul Macik
    Last Activity
    08-14-2017 09:28 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

The sleeve does work however you have to be very disciplined in your nutrition and exercise. Once you advance through the food stages after surgery and you can eat more things this does not mean you should put anything and everything into your mouth. The sleeve will tell you when you are full and when you need food however it will not prevent you from putting the same junk into your body that you did before surgery. Only you can prevent this from happening. The sleeve will work temporarily for everyone. The sleeve will work long term for those who have accepted their new lifestyle and focus on good nutrition and exercise.
    My weight at start of my 2 week pre-op diet was 232
    My weight on the morning of surgery was 221

Gastric Sleeve Member JustWantToBeHealthyAgain's Avatar
    Name
    Katherine
    Surgery date
    12/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. DiBenedetto
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 143 Times in 133 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Remember too that it can actually be really easy to "cheat" the sleeve, or even the bypass, or any surgery really. Your stomach is tiny but you can still eat! If you eat around the clock in small amounts, you will consume tons of calories and put on weights. I'm talking like having a big bag of chips and just snacking out of it for hours, while at work or whatever. or a bowl of candy. Because yes, theoretically, you can do that but that doesn't mean you should.

And Laura, you are right, I am definitely lucky but losing weight is still a challenge because if you eat too few calories, you won't lose, just like if you eat too many! :P My lack of hunger makes it so I really need to keep up on my fluid intake or else I'll slip behind and stall. You guys are all doing great!