Dr. Anya Feighin
    Last Activity
    06-24-2017 10:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 280 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 50 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 58 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Way-way-way post-op... keeping the weight off after several years

Hello out there in sleeve world! I have not been active on these forums in a very long time. I used to be super active but then life just got super busy. So after reaching goal and having a mommy makeover, everything was going great. I was doing very well and feeling great. Then in January, I lost my job over the stupidest thing. Ugh. Anyway, in the last few months, I have gained 10lbs. It doesn't seem like a huge deal, it is all in my butt and not that anyone would notice. But I know how easy it is for people to gain weight back after a few years out. My mom was sleeved in 2009 and she's gained about 40lbs or maybe more. She keeps trying to lose it back but not having much success. So we decided to try to team up. I don't even care to lose the weight - it would be nice - but I am more concerned with stopping the weight gain before it becomes noticeable! Does anyone have any advice?

I remember once a long time ago, someone showed me this diet for people who have gained weight back years after the sleeve. Like a back to basics kind of diet? Does anyone know what I am talking about? And can provide me a link to it or any information about it? I don't know if it's the same exactly as the post-op diet. If that is what I must do then I'm willing to do it to get back on track. I do not want to gain more weight!

Lately, I have been spending a lot of time alone in my room. I am studying online to get my bachelor's degree which I will finish this December. At the same time, I am looking for work. I just accepted my first freelance writing job so that's exciting. But that still won't get me out of the house. My job was the only thing getting me out and forcing me to interact with people and now I feel like I have no reason to leave the house. I know I am an introvert and that is just a fact of life and I wouldn't try to change that. Losing weight made me much less afraid of meeting people but it didn't make me like people more. Does anyone really like small talk? It's like everyone talks just to talk and honestly, I would rather sit in silence. I would rather stay home than go out with a bunch of people who don't interest me and don't care about me at all. I guess I have been kind of down and I know what that can do to someone like me... and I also know that gaining weight will make me even more depressed and less likely to leave the house which will be like a vicious cycle! Eeek! So I just wanted to reach out and share and see if there is anyone out there who could give some advice about stopping the weight loss before it gets out of hand. I feel like I have come such a long way and had so much success and I am afraid to mess things up. Thanks guys.

~ Lee

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member greenmomma's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ragui Sadek
    Last Activity
    12-20-2023 04:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 168 Times in 150 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 65 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Way-way-way post-op... keeping the weight off after several years

It's called the five day pouch test. Just search the forums. Good luck.

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Linda
    Surgery date
    03/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Salzberg
    Last Activity
    10-03-2014 11:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 902 Times
    Blog Entries

Getting back to basics may help. Try proteins shakes or full liquids for a while and see if that helps. I really don't know. I totally understand about not wanting to be around others. I feel that way too. now that Spring is here trying forcing yourself out. Maybe short walks in the neighborhood. Good luck.

Gastric Sleeve Member sociologist's Avatar
    Name
    Margaret
    Surgery date
    11/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Borland
    Last Activity
    03-01-2020 07:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 263 Times in 255 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 170 Times

You have come too far to backslide now. Its good you are nipping it in the bud:-) The 5 day pouch test is what others have done to see if they still have restriction. Start doing a protein shake for breakfast. Log everything that goes in your mouth. Hopefully this will help you get back on track:-)
    Margaret
    1 month: 25 lost (194-10 day stall)
    3 months: 9 lost (173-halfway to goal!)
    5 months: 7 lost (161-1week stall)
    7 months: 4 lost (152-4 week stall)
    9 months: 1 lost (145-1 month stall)
    10 months: 0 lost (145-2month stall
    14 months: 0 lost (145-7 month stall)

My goal: 145...originally 129 but my body said no!

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member healthier86's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Um
    Last Activity
    10-26-2018 06:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 96 Times in 95 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 267 Times
    Blog Entries

Keep us posted on how your doing!

Starting weight: 207
    Day of surgery 9/16/13: 195
    Day released from hospital 9/18/13: 210
    First follow up appt. 9/24: 200
    Second post op appt. 10/1: 188
    Third post op appt. 11/12: 176
    Fourth post op appt: 2/20/14: 155

I can do all things through Christ who strengths me.

Surgery date
    05/07/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos-Kelly
    Last Activity
    08-26-2018 04:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times

I know before I was sleeved anytime I knew I had been making bad food choices and overeating I would stay far far away from the scale- for months! If I don't acknowledge it it isn't there. Guess that's part of the reason I lost and gained so many times. I have lost nearly 100 lbs-still a short way to go. I have promised myself to weigh once a week and to immediately push hard if I ever see a weight gain. Losing 2-5 lbs. is a heck of a lot easier than losing 100. Good luck and hang in there!

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times
    Was Thanked 607 Times in 457 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times

Boy, can I relate! I am also a more introverted person and would just rather read, quilt, etc where I dont have to interact with people. It is good for me that I have a job that forces me to be out because I have the worst time losing weight when I am at home. I do have periods when I am home because I work for a school district so we have times off. I am almost 2 years out and am still working on that last 13 or so lbs. What helps me is fluctuating between carb on and carb off weeks. That seems to keep things shook up enough for my body to be confused and actually let go of that fat! lol. Best wishes! I think you are smart to cut it off at the beginning of gaining! The weight your mom gained kind of scares me because that is one of my greatest fears. I think going back to low carb for a period of time has been most helpful for me. Hope I am not repeating myself! lol
    A person's a person, no matter how small! Dr. Suess

Gastric Sleeve Member Kathysangels's Avatar
    Name
    Kathy
    Surgery date
    02/11/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brethauer
    Said "Thanks" 98 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 66 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 364 Times

Hi Lee:
    There is another support group that has a lot of people who were sleeved a few years ago on it - and it is very active in support. I know that Stacy (who is the owner of the site) has files that include diets for post -op and also something called a 5 day pouch test to get us back inline when someone starts slipping. If yo want to private message me I will send Stacy your information and she can extend an invitation.
    Hugs,
    Kathy

Gastric Sleeve Member mommyducky's Avatar
    Name
    Lee
    Surgery date
    10/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Anya Feighin
    Last Activity
    06-24-2017 10:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 280 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 50 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 58 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you so so much! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmomma View Post
    It's called the five day pouch test. Just search the forums. Good luck.
    Lee

There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well and that's be you. Be what you're like. Be like yourself.

Follow my journey visually on youtube:<br>theugleeducklee&#39;s Channel - YouTube

Gastric Sleeve Member SeasonsChange's Avatar
    Name
    Terri
    Surgery date
    11/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Craig Floch
    Last Activity
    12-08-2014 08:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 386 Times
    Was Thanked 164 Times in 138 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times

Good luck to you on the restart!!

Sleeved with my husband on 11/26/13! Together through it all