Gastric Sleeve Member Sofiathefirst's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sofia
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 247 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Unsure... Roux-en-y??? Sleeve???

Very helpful Kim! Thank you for sharing.

July 29th: 1st doctor visit 273 lbs
    October 23rd: Liquid diet starts 253 lbs
    November 6th: Surgery 239 lbs
    December 6th: 1 month post-op 223 lbs
    January 6th: 2 months post-op 209 lbs

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member JustWantToBeHealthyAgain's Avatar
    Name
    Katherine
    Surgery date
    12/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. DiBenedetto
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 143 Times in 133 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I work in healthcare and helped to care for people post-op who have had either the sleeve or bypass. I knew I qualified for either procedure but which? 2 years ago, I was eligible for insurance coverage. I was going to get the bypass. The dumping syndrome and other changes (like how many people become intolerant of dairy) scared me and I didn't do it. I floundered for 1.5 years, gained more weight ultimately, and then decided on the sleeve. I wish someone had told me about it 2 years ago. It was around at the hospital but no one was really talking about it.

I read about both the bypass and the sleeve. Lots of peer-reviewed studies. overall, what sold me was that the bypass and sleeve had comparable long term outcomes. NO significant differences.

In addition (for obvious reasons) the sleeve had less risk of complications and dumping.

I'm not sure why some of the posts here talk about the bypass reducing ghrelin. That's not really true. With the bypass, the stomach is cut to make a pouch but the whole stomach is still left IN there and can make the hormone. This is also what makes it reversible. The sleeve, however, involves the complete removal of the fundus of the stomach. This is what allows the reduction of ghrelin.

I've heard bypass is great for diabetics and people who love sweets. It makes sense. If you can't stop overeating carbs and other sugary things, the dumping syndrome would make sugar a really negative thing for you.

I may be very obese but I am not diabetic and I am very happy about that.

4. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Melissa
    Surgeon
    Dr. Said Bina
    Last Activity
    11-13-2013 08:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Very curious as to what you ended up doing.... Sleeve? Band? Roux-en-Y ? I had the band put in in 2007 and have had nothing but trouble since. I am checking into getting it out and having the sleeve or Roux en y....but leaning toward sleeve as I dont want much messed with in there. I hope you are doing well, and I'd love to hear what you did.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Steve Webb
    Surgery date
    02/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Peeter Soosar
    Last Activity
    01-25-2014 11:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times

I will see my Surgeon on Tuesday and am waiting until then to make up my mind. I do have some issues involving reflux and calcium absorption now. I will follow whatever my Surgeon thinks is best for me given my own medical history. I wish you the best in whatever decision you make. God bless you

Name
    Jeni
    Surgery date
    05/15/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Chastanet
    Last Activity
    05-15-2015 10:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 123 Times

I chose the sleeve over the bypass for a number of reasons. First and foremost, I did want to have to take my medicines crushed or liquid for for the rest of my life. I am told by my surgeon who does both surgeries that the gastric bypass patients have malabsorbative issues because of the valve at the bottom of your stomach that allows you to digest nutrition from your food and your medicine is bypassed. Second, the dumping syndrome that gastric patients have sounds awlful and I did not want that. But being diabetic, if you have a problem resisting sweets, then maybe the bypass would be better because eating sweets will make you sick and you want to do it again.Also, I did not want to have my intestines rerouted. I just wanted a smaller stomach so I would feel full of of much less than I now have to consume to feel full. The sleeve was the right choice for me.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents